VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Voslik

Question

Morning,

Going to try and cut right to the chase. Marine Veteran with 1 year service, discharged with "personality disorder" that was diagnosed as an pre-existing condition. That's my first question, I have my entry records showing my exams were clean and I entered on a clean bill of health. Is there any way to correct this? Since I was in the Marines and had left I have been having issues ever since. As of late I was finally pushed into seeing a therapist and psychiatrist. The standing right now is a diagnosis of PTSD and Schyzotypal Personality Disorder (Cluster A), they are both concerned that these are service connected and I agree. How and what do I need to submit from the therapists to the VA to get my claim rolling.

It's been suggested that I quit work and file for disability as my conditions have become severe enough to interfere with work and my interaction with the outside world. I have my OMPF, Medical records, and DD214. I can get any written statement from the docs to forward for my claim so that the VA will consider doing an eval. Any advice is helpful.

At the very least I need to get the particular reason for my discharge corrected, I didn't have any issues mentally or physically when I entered and I have documentation to prove so as well.

Thank you all.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

First of all, how long since service? If it has been less than a year, a diagnosis by the VA will be presumed to have happened in service, so get to the VA and have a VA doc diagnose you.

If it has been MORE than a year, then you will need a medical opinion that your (PTSD, depression, etc) was at least as likely as not due to military service.

You would start a claim by filing out a 21-526 and sending it to your regional office and send it by registered mail, return receipt requested since the VA is likely to lose your paperwork. You will also need to sign release of information forms.

A VSO, probably available at your VAMC may help you fill out those forms, but remember they work at no cost to you, so you normally get what you pay for.

Thank you all for responding,

@ StretchI received a General (UHC) Discharge

@broncovet It's been 9 years actually and I don't know how many doctors I have seen for this mess, I was under the impression due to the type of discharge that I didn't get medical benefits. I'm not sure how I request to see a VA doc. I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist and therapist that are both willing to submit whatever is needed as far as opinions go.

As far as the forms go, would seeing a VSO not be advised? Or should I see someone else?

My therapist and psychiatrist believe that it is service connected among other factors that happened after the service, naturally. They have both stated that they are willing to issue documentation stating there opinions and what they have seen so far.

If you want to apply for benefits there are 2 general methods:

1. "Hope" method. You wing it. You dont look at your medical records, you just assume they are there. You speculate the doc will do you a favor. You hope and you wait. You probably wont get a good result.

2. The 5 P's method. You understand that proper preperation prevents poor performance. You read over your medical records. You search hadit for advice. You get competent help. You dot all the I's and cross all the T's. You win, eventually, with persistence.

Seeing A VSO would be advised at your point in time. Just dont bet your future on him, and stay on top of it yourself, not being afraid to depart from his advice if he gives you bad advice. Expect him to also lose your paperwork, so keep copies yourself.