VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Voslik

Question

Morning,

Going to try and cut right to the chase. Marine Veteran with 1 year service, discharged with "personality disorder" that was diagnosed as an pre-existing condition. That's my first question, I have my entry records showing my exams were clean and I entered on a clean bill of health. Is there any way to correct this? Since I was in the Marines and had left I have been having issues ever since. As of late I was finally pushed into seeing a therapist and psychiatrist. The standing right now is a diagnosis of PTSD and Schyzotypal Personality Disorder (Cluster A), they are both concerned that these are service connected and I agree. How and what do I need to submit from the therapists to the VA to get my claim rolling.

It's been suggested that I quit work and file for disability as my conditions have become severe enough to interfere with work and my interaction with the outside world. I have my OMPF, Medical records, and DD214. I can get any written statement from the docs to forward for my claim so that the VA will consider doing an eval. Any advice is helpful.

At the very least I need to get the particular reason for my discharge corrected, I didn't have any issues mentally or physically when I entered and I have documentation to prove so as well.

Thank you all.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So I saw a lawyer who filed for my SSI and SSD, records were ignored for the time being as far as military goes. I also went to the VFW and had them file a claim for hearing and tinnitus, not even sure how this relates to me but i am doing some research on the matter to better understand myself. I was informed that I would need to get my personality disorder rating removed before I can file for any service connected disabilities. He said a former physician that saw me who would right a note stating he never diagnosed me with any mental issues would be a case breaker along with the meps records. VA also filed for a non-service connected pension plan and also to register with the hospital to receive treatment, which I have.

The positive is that the VA still has to prove that the condition pre-existed as well, so it goes half and half in a sense. The VFW was extremely helpful and have vowed to work with me on this issue, they mentioned I was one of those "illegaly" discharged. Things are rolling slowly but surely. Ill keep yall informed. Thanks.