VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sf 180 Military Records

Rate this question

JohnM

Question

I have been trying to get John to get his military records and printed out SF 180 to fill out. He said that all we would recieve is the DD214 and we already have them. Would this be true or can we get all of his military records? I mean all records

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

You can request -on the SF 180- ALL military medical records and ALL service personnel records.

In some cases I tell vets to request all Disciplinary actions too- I am sure this is not needed in your case but those disciplinary reports could possibly be evidence of first manifestation of mental disorder in service.

If applying on line at NARA for the SF 180 information,

use a separate SF 180 for each branch of service- if vet served in more than one branch.

Print out the bar coded thing,

Have the veteran sign it, copy it, and then mail it to the specific address they give on the SF 180 form.

I have used the on line SF 180 at NARA:

http://www.archives.gov/ and it took 3-6 weeks forget how long but it was very easy to apply for all mil records on line at this site.

Guest jangrin
You can request -on the SF 180- ALL military medical records and ALL service personnel records.

In some cases I tell vets to request all Disciplinary actions too- I am sure this is not needed in your case but those disciplinary reports could possibly be evidence of first manifestation of mental disorder in service.

If applying on line at NARA for the SF 180 information,

use a separate SF 180 for each branch of service- if vet served in more than one branch.

Print out the bar coded thing,

Have the veteran sign it, copy it, and then mail it to the specific address they give on the SF 180 form.

I have used the on line SF 180 at NARA:

http://www.archives.gov/ and it took 3-6 weeks forget how long but it was very easy to apply for all mil records on line at this site.

Berta , JohnM,

Just a side note. We requested complete military records from NARA waited 14 weeks all we got was two official copies of my husbands DD-214. The letter stated that all his records were sent to the RO because he filed a claim. Once JohnM has provided all the evidense for his claim(s) I would request a copy of the C-file.

Supposedly everything is in the C-file.If anyone is thinking a about opening a claim I would get your military records first.

Jangrin :rolleyes:

Jangrin is CORRECT!

Right- I forgot- they sent me Rod's Navy records but his USMC, they said were at the VARO- I just pulled the NARA letter out- you are correct.

Even if a claim is in progress- also get a copy of them if they are in the c file and not at NARA-

But as Jangrin stated and Jangrin is so right on this too-

It is always best to get a copy of those SMRs before the VA does because then the VA cannot say they were burned in the St Louis Fire or worse yet ,even fail to get them at all-