VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is Vupd?

Rate this question

gwvet90

Question

on bottom of my c&p award form from my c-file Is a note in "remards" that reads

"Dictated Letter Required: Potential Adverse Rating

Vital M/R Exists - VUPD is Required"

What does that mean?

Edited by gwvet90

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe a related issue: something I haven't done yet - is to request a copy of my Beneficiary Identification and Record Locator Subsystem (BIRLS) File under the FOIA . . . here's a 'how to' by Bub Parrish. ~Wings

What is your Master Record? http://www.ptsdmanual.com/masterr.htm

Your Master Record is a computer based system of records that contains all of your basic information.

It starts when you have your first contact with the VA. Since it is a computer based program the information is brought up in "screens". Three of the main "screens" are:

Master Record Screens

M11 - Status Screen - This screen contains your name and address as well as your date of birth, amount of your disability check (if any), branch of service served in, Type of service discharge, Power of Attorney holder (If applicable), and some other disability information.

M12 - Award Screen - This screen contains a history of your disability awards and the amount awarded. It also contains a suspense section that is used to remind the VA when to check on certain things such as the number of dependents you have.

M13 - Rating Data - This screen contains your employ ability code, combat disability code, combined disability rating percentage, and the Diagnostic codes for your disabilities. Each of your disabilities is listed along with the percentage of disability and whether or not it is service connected and a description of each disability.

Screen M13 looks like this http://www.ptsdmanual.com/screenM13.pdf

An important item, if you are applying for CRSC, might be the COMBAT block in screen M13. It should be "Code 2" which comes out as "Comp" (One or more combat disabilities, all of which are compensable); Code 3 which comes out as "noncomp" (One or more combat disabilities, none of which are compensable); or Code 4 which comes out as "both" (One or more combat disabilities, not all of which are compensable). This indicates that you are service-connected with disabilities that are Combat Related (These definitions are found in VA Manual M21-1, Part VI, Chapter 3, Para 3.17).

You can see from my sample M13 screen printout (See above link) that VA had me as a Code 1 - None, which means I was listed as "No combat disabilities". I submitted a request for change and it now reads Code 4.

Send for a copy of your Master Record using the sample letter below:

START OF LETTER

DATE

ADDRESS OF REGIONAL VA OFFICE

RE: FOIA/PA Request for Copy of Master Records

This is a formal Freedom of Information Act (5 USC 552) and Privacy Act (5 USC 552a) request made by _________________, SSN __________________, Branch of Service ___________, service dates of _____________ to ____________.

Please provide me a copy of my "Master Record", screens M11, M12, M13.

If you have questions, please contact me at ________________.

Respectfully,

NAME, SIGNATURE

END OF LETTER SAMPLE

Authors Note: If you need to request a change in the COMBAT area of screen 13, send another letter to your regional VA with the following:

Your VA M21-1, Part VI, paragraph 3.17 defines "Combat Disabilities" as "any injury received in action against an enemy of the United States or as a result of an act of such an enemy. This includes wounds by missiles, injuries, or psychological trauma (PTSD) experienced in accidents, explosions, airplane crashes, etc., during a period when the veteran was in combat. Request that you change my Combat Code, Master Record, Screen 13, to a 2, 3, or 4, whichever is appropriate."

Authors Note: The last sentence of the above paragraph (3.17) says "No combat determination is to be made unless evidence of record clearly relates the disability to combat origin or acts of the enemy." In Part III of the M21-1, chapter 1, para 1.01 it says "Decisions on VA benefit eligibility and entitlement are based on the evidence of record. Evidence consists of documents, records, testimonials and information in other forms provided by, or obtained for, a claimant. VA has a duty to assist a claimant who files a substantially complete claim in obtaining evidence to substantiate his or her claim before making a decision on the claim. We are charged with granting every benefit supported by the law".

When you state that the stressor or stressors occurred in a combat situation (Usually in your Stress Letter), and it becomes a part of your claim, this is considered "evidence of Record". See my notes on "Evidence of Record".

• HadIt.com Elder

"UPD" means Update. The V might have been a typo.

To me, the RO is telling the Examiner that although a master record exists in the BIRLS, system information needs to be updated . . . The "potential adverse rating" could mean anything! It could mean they have your name or SSN wrong!

Like Berta said, "use the VA Query system" to ask directly.

Sounds to me like your records are spread out - not completely centralized. Have you requested a copy of your C-File yet? Have you been using the FOIA to request or over-request your VA records? Have you requested your SMR'S ? ~Wings

UPD FOR UPDATE MAKES SINCE.....

- MAYBE THE V WAS FOR VETERAN UPDATE? MEANING THEY NEEDED TO AN UPDATE TO OBTAIN MY VITAL RECORDS?? MAYBE THEY SAY "EXISTS" - BUT THEY DON'T HAVE IT ......AND NEED AN UPDATE TO GET IT FROM MY SMR'S??? OR WHEREVER IT IS.....

I DID TRY SF 180 TO REQUEST MY SMR'S & PERSONNEL RECORDS - GOT LETTER SAYING THEY COULDN'T FIND & IF I HAD FILED A CLAIM THEY WOULD BE AT THAT OFFICE........ THEN REQUESTED COPY OF C-FILE & THAT IS WERE I GOT THE SMALL AMOUNT (ABOUT 1/3 OF SMR'S) THEY HAD. I HAVE INFORMED THEM THAT A LOT ARE MISSING & GAVE SEVERAL EXAMPLES OF INCIDENTS MISSING.

ALSO I WAS NEVER GIVEN MY PERSONNEL RECORDS & THEY WERE NOT IN MY C-FILE EITHER.....

I HAVE JUST REQUESTED A C-FILE UPDATE & ASKED THEM TO INCLUDE THESE SINCE THEY WERE NOT IN MY ORIGINAL C-FILE COPY THEY SENT. WE ARE 8+ HRS FROM THE RO - SO I HAVEN'T ACTUALLY GONE TO THEIR OFFICE........I DON' T HAVE A VSO & DON'T WANT TO SIGN OVER POA - JUST TRYING TO DO IT W/THE HELP I GET HERE ~ SO THANKS AGAIN.