VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Promises Made

Rate this question

kimmig

Question

Promises

Promised the Vet free health care for life

Just sign your name, a pen like a knife

Free care for life you say

Run Veteran,Run, stay far away

For the free care promises that were made

To young men and women for their services the price they will pay

My Veteran at combat and at war

Now he struggles no more

For he trusted a select few

To full fill that promise but who really knew

That promises are like tokens thrown to the wind

So easily they spend

My Veteran now lies underneath a grave

The sacrifices like many others he made

So many Veterans both alive and dead

They lie spent in their unmade beds

So Veteran take heed ask questions instead

Don't take for granted, trust in yourself, or you to will be dead

Kimberly Green

Dedicated to SFC Ricky W. Green (whom passed away after having service connected surgery via the VA)

dissapointed in the whole system..

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I answered your other post here today Kimberly and was very touched by this poem.

"Dedicated to SFC Ricky W. Green (whom passed away after having service connected surgery via the VA)"

Have you had any real doctor (independent of the VA) look at his medical records, and surgical notes from VA and his autopsy to see why he died from VA surgery?

I mentioned I first received DIC under 1151 in the rely I posted to you this AM.

I proved the VA caused my husband's death,under the Federal Tort Claims Act.They had misdiagnosed a heart attack he had while employed at the VA and from that point on the malpractice got worse. The RO awarded me DIC under 1151, after the General COunsel sent them the settlement papers (they lost the copy I sent them)

A survivor of a malpracticed veteran has a 2 year window in whioch to file a FTCA case against the VA.

There is no time limit for 1151 issues.

My husband died almost 19 years ago and VA awarded my in 2012, an additional 1151 award and in October 2012 I filed another 1151 claim against them.

We have considerable Info on these types of claims in our FTCA forum here.

They require documented proof of malpractice and also documented proof that the malpractice caused additional disability and/or death.

NSOs and reps cannot handle FTCA - that is for lawyers to do.

They Can handle 1151 claims but , as with DIC claims, they usually dont see many 1151 issues raised and really don't have the expertise usually, to help with them.

Of course a death can be a potential possible outcome of surgery, but believe me, when my husband suddenly dropped dead right in front of me in the barn, and died as I gave him CPR, my next main goal was to find out WHY . He was only 47 and appeared to be making a very good recovery from a stroke he had.

It took me time to get his VA records and the autopsy and I had a lot of medical research to do,but I found out WHY he died. Piss poor medical care , along with a blatant cover up when I began questioning the docs, medical care so substandard that even the VA top cardio doctor said was "indefensible".

VA is still paying for his untimely death.

I had no lawyer or IMO doctor so no one to personally recommend on that,if you feel you should pursue a 1151 claim or a FTCA wrongful death claim.

These days there are plenty of malpractice lawyers on the net and Dr. Bash, who we have had at SVR radio, is excellent in preparing IMOs.His shows are in our SVR archives to hear.

This sure may not even be close to negligence or malpractice here...... it is just that this type of situation gives me a big red flag......as most surgeries these days are very safe and fatal results are not expected.

Months after Rod died, his VA employee buddy, also a Vietnam vet, had surgery at the VA.and came to visit me after he got home.

Within minutes ,after he was here telling me of the surgery, I typed up a 1151 claim up for him, then he copied , signed and mailed it, and within months VA granted him 100% P & T under Section 1151,38 USC. He was shocked.

They had treated his undiagnosed colon cancer as hemorrhoids for many years,never taking any tests to see why he was bleeding rectally, and they almost killed him....too.

Did the DAV suggest filing a 1151 DIC claim along with a direct SC claim?

In 2003 I had another malpractice issue. I obtained 3 IMos (2 from Dr Bash) for that claim.

I filed not under 1151,but under direct SC death and I won.

My EED was the date of Rod's death.

The DIC amount didn't change but VA owed me almost 100,000 more in additional ancillary benefits and a FTCA offset.

We widows must be tenacious , otherwise the VA will walk all over us, and we will never be able to rectify a spouse's death in a way, in which we can begin to accept it.

I hope negligence or malpractice,in your mind, was not even an issue in your husband's death.

If you have any doubt at all however, you need an IMO doctor to review all of his medical records, death certificate, med profiles, blood work, etc, and the autopsy.

My husband's autopsy alone was proof that they killed him. The VA managed to lose 12 copies of it.

Edited by Berta

I can tell you Kimberly, your poem touched me in such a way that I cannot express. Thank you so very much with wanting to share this with us, but I know it was not an easy thing to do, but probably the right thing to do. What an honor to your husband!

I can tell you that I am just beginning to learn what things need to be addressed and how not to ignore them. I rely so much on this site and Berta is so knowledgeable and such a good reference. We are so fortunate for her expertise and she has helped so many of us here. By Berta refusing to not give up just tells us widows that we should NEVER GIVE UP!!

If there is JUST ONE unanswered question out there....DON'T IGNORE, BUT EXPLORE!!

God Bless!

Celia

Thank you for the nice comments of my poem. I LOVED/LOVE my husband sooo much. i find it better for me to express myself by poetry. it had been 17 months since my husbands death. so i finally made a decision and contacted the survivors benefits dept out of washington d.c. they immediatly got back with me and within a few days i received several phone calls and actually on april 12th (which was our 22 wedding anniversary) a lady from the va contacted me to tell me that i had been approved for dic. amazing....also received a letter from the dav stating the approval, however am still waiting on an official notification from the va on the dic. . i have also filed an sf 95 have got six months to wait on a response on that......i do have attorneys...

just disgusted with what my husband endured. total medical negligence, pathetic.

Promises of free care, its a token
The Soldier reups, his body soon will become broken
Broken down old at such a young age
The soldier lives his life, while building a rage
The rage comes full circle, as the V.A. begins its plan
To kill off its soldiers just because it can
More pills to give forget the cure
Just give more pills, they will die for sure
Forget that he is a Desert Storm Vet
Memories of that time cant be swept
Just give another pill, not one but three
Until he can't walk, but must hold onto a tree
Three becomes six. give another to the old man
More and more just because you can
Death comes to the young old man
The V.A. never falters just because it can
Forsake not my Desert Storm Vet run while you can
For I will take the stand
No MORE!! something will be done
NO MORE!! dying of Americas young
The V.A. must answer ....but...then again
Most likely it will lie in squander just because it can
Written by Kimberly Green
dedicated to her Desert Storm Vet SFC Ricky W. Green
Jan 5 2013

Kimberly I know what you mean. I see desert storm vets at my local VA that look young but old. thier hair is brittle, thier skin is gray, thier gait is unsure, thier like old men in young mans body. I believe its the depleted uranium trapped in our bodies, a slow but steady poisoning of our blood, kidneys, cells, brains. slowly but surely sapping the life out of us, and there is nothing we can do.

may your husband rest in peace, and may god bless you. thanks for your service as well. .