VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hernia And Gastritis

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I have been vomiting with painful heartburn from hell resulting in multiple emergency room treatments over the past few months. I even spent one night in the hospital for observation. I am maxed out on anti-acid meds and tested negative for H.Pylori. Yesterday, I had an endoscopy and the results were as follows:

- Hiatus hernia found in the stomach

- Gastritis (two biopsies taken)

I currently have a 10% rating for GERD (7346) due to 20+ years of NSAID treatment. I am considering requesting an increase. I have a feeling 30% is what I will get, so I am just asking for a second opinion from those here.

7346 Hernia hiatal:

Symptoms of pain, vomiting, material weight loss and hematemesis or melena with moderate anemia; or other symptom combinations productive of severe impairment of health 60

Persistently recurrent epigastric distress with dysphagia, pyrosis, and regurgitation, accompanied by substernal or arm or shoulder pain, productive of considerable impairment of health 30

With two or more of the symptoms for the 30 percent evaluation of less severity 10

Edited by Vync

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I am still (2 years) waiting for my claims to go through the system and one of those claims is GERD. I also was diagnosed with Barrett's Desease.

I was told while I was in service that I had Hiatel Hernia and was also treated for GERD (OC meds given) while in service which all of this besides Barrett's is in my SMR.

In the last three months, the VA gave me a sleep study and determined I had/have Sleep Apnea and now use CPAP which was given to me by the VA.

From what I have read this "CAN" be associated to GERD (due too sleep issues with GERD which I do have). And, it is possiable to get a link too the two and awarded compensation for it. I know thier is some BVA's that have awarded it, but, I do not have the case numbers readly available. (which when the time is right I will be referring to them)

Considering I was also treated and still have IBS (same system) I expect (hopefully) to at least get 30% for Gastro issues and if I can link the CPAP then that is 50%.

Just fyi for something for you too look into also.

I am sure others will chim on if I am off base, but for now that is what I am thinking.

Good luck... GERD is painful with regurgitation and can raise your risk of Cancer.

Edited by kevin4998

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I appreciate the info. I also was diagnosed with sleep apnea/fibromyalgia, but have not moved forward on getting SC for it yet. Are you trying to get sleep apnea SC secondary to your gastro issues?

When the time comes, yes. I did not know that I had sleep apnea or for that matter the two could be linked on my initial claims. So it will be after those initial claims are closed in one form or another.

Here is post in the forums that touches on the subject also.

Here is just one citation that confirms linking the two.

"FINDING OF FACT

The Veteran has sleep apnea that was as likely as not incurred in active military service and is proximately due to, or the result of, his service-connected GERD with IBS, diverticulitis, hiatal hernia, and gastritis.

CONCLUSION OF LAW

The Veteran's sleep apnea was incurred in active military service and is proximately due to, or the result of, his service-connected GERD with IBS, diverticulitis, hiatal hernia, and gastritis. 38 U.S.C.A. §§ 1110, 1131, 5107 (West 2002); 38 C.F.R. §§ 3.102, 3.303, 3.304, 3.310 (2010). "

http://www.va.gov/vetapp11/files4/1135175.txt

Edited by kevin4998