VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd C&p: Surprising To Say The Least

Rate this question

2E151

Question

I had the PTSD C&P exam today that I've been worrying about for the past couple of weeks. The wife had us on a tight schedule so we made it to the QTC building exactly at the time of the appointment. Needless to say I was a click away from full freak out mode, but I refused to take any medications.

The staff was pleasant, took my paperwork, and the Doctor came out and got me and the wife almost immediately. Super friendly guy, he has a private practice and travels down to my neck of the woods once a week for QTC. I'm so glad he had the "bedside manner" he did, or I would have probably had a nervous breakdown in front of my wife.

The examination was like nothing I expected.

Since this was supposed to be a fully developed claim (initiated the old fashioned way over the phone) the VA obviously didn't have a lot of information to provide him with, but I brought him my 21-0781, the last couple of pages of my Statement in Support of Form (the pages talking about my current conditions), the private tests I had done locally (PAI, MPPI-2,ect) and a couple of other odds and ins.

Walking into his office he said the process had been streamlined recently and that a lot of the pre-military/childhood questions had been phased out. First question was about my childhood, ("Very close-knit family, no problems") second question he asked was I depressed. ("Everyday"), any Anxiety issues ("Through the Roof"), Short Term Memory ("non-existant"), Long Term Memory ("almost as bad") when I told him the dosage of Xanax I get every month from the VA (240 1mg pills a month) I swear his jaw literally dropped.

He asked the wife some pretty specific questions, stating that spouses often catch things a patient might overlook. He actually took the time to sift through my notes, he saw the part where the Cognitive Processing Therapy had made things considerably worse and agreed that it should never be the first method of treatment, that you need to learn how to cope with the symptoms before diving into the problems.

He really didn't proceed how I expected: I expected him to pretty much go down the list on a DBQ. We had some casual talk about the VA in general, life experiences, and such.

Two things blew my mind though:
He told me that he had recieved a formal email via his boss from the VA that he provided more diagnoses for PTSD than any other clinical psychologist employed by QTC in the entire country, and that it needed to be addressed. He asked his boss, "What do you want me to do? Lie?", and of course she said No, and he responded "I just examine them and call them like I see them."

Second, he asked about any substance abuse. I was honest in that I drank like a fish when I was in Mosul, and had recently began self-medicating with alcohol in the evening because of the lack of results from the previous 4 anti-depressents, that I just wanted an hour or two of happiness. He looked me dead in the face and said if your going to self medicate toss the bottles and smoke pot. He said its several times more effective and a fraction as damaging to your health. I was incredulous, me and the wife looked at each other and said if I could find some I would! He said to toss the bottles again and keep your eyes open, this is a military and a college town.

Obviously I have no clue exactly how he wrote things up, I have a positive feeling but we'll just have to see how the RO interprets things. As soon as I can I'm going to try and find out how to get a copy of his exam, the regional office is only 2 hours away.

If your Examiner suggests that might want to take up smoking pot, I can't imagine what he wrote down....

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

“He told me that he had recieved a formal email via his boss from the VA that he provided more diagnoses for PTSD than any other clinical psychologist employed by QTC in the entire country, and that it needed to be addressed. He asked his boss, "What do you want me to do? Lie?", and of course she said No, and he responded "I just examine them and call them like I see them." “

What a Reg Flag that was for me and will be for many here........

(Shades of the “Perez” Memo some of you recall that H VAC had hearings on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.fogcityjournal.com/wordpress/557/federal-judge-accepts-perez-anti-ptsd-email-senate-testimony-into-evidence/)

However, I am glad this C & P went well for you. I am a little appalled at the “smoke Pot “ reference he made but then again he might have a strong medical point for that.I am sort of anti All drugs so my biased opinion on that is solely my own.

Did the doctor formally diagnose you with PTSD?

Did he attribute your PTSD directly to your service?

Those are the main issues that this C & P has to cover.

Unfortunately QTC exams are owned by the VARO, meaning you cant get a copy until the VA makes a decision.

(However,since he seemed so vet friendly- maybe if you called his office, you could get a copy of the exam directly from him at QTC...I am not sure however if he could send you a copy)

The new PTSD criteria is here in our PTSD forum.It is a guideline for not only how to shape a PTSD claim but shows what the VA is looking for as proof of a nexus.

Until I see my results from the official C&P I haven't decided whether to turn in the independent one I got from a local Clinical Psychologist yet. I suppose I'll wait and see how they match up. My independent one included a battery of tests and a DBQ. Here's the results if anyone cares to opine to WAG.

Axis I:

309.81 PTSD, Delayed Onset

296.23 Major Depressive Disorder, Severe, Possible Psychotic features

Alcohol Abuse by history

Axis IV: Stressful work, exposure to war, strained marital relationship

Axis V: 48

Comments: Often unable to engage in basic daily functioning

4A: Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgement, thinking, and/or mood.

4B: level of impairment in each area (depression & anxiety) is severe

4. Symptoms, here I have 18 checked. I went through the MH rating scale and highlighted each one, so here's the breakdown:

30% 4 highlighted

50% 6 Hightlighted

70% 7 Highlighted

100% 2 highlighted (persistent danger of hurting self or orthers;intermittent ability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene)

Additionally my MMPI-2 results came back valid.

My Depression Scale was T=108

My Psychasthenia Scale was T=107

Paranoia: T-94

Schizophrenia: T-86

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Scale: PK-85

PAI Results:

Depression: T-107

Suicidal Ideation: T-77

Anxiety: T-87

ANX-P: T-101

ARD-T: T-T-96

It bothers me you told them about alcohol abuse. That can be used to deny in variety of venues.

I was worried about that too, but I when I told him my binge drinking occured in service during when my stressors occured he just kinda of dismissed it with a wave of his hand

“He told me that he had recieved a formal email via his boss from the VA that he provided more diagnoses for PTSD than any other clinical psychologist employed by QTC in the entire country, and that it needed to be addressed. He asked his boss, "What do you want me to do? Lie?", and of course she said No, and he responded "I just examine them and call them like I see them." “

What a Reg Flag that was for me and will be for many here........

(Shades of the “Perez” Memo some of you recall that H VAC had hearings on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.fogcityjournal.com/wordpress/557/federal-judge-accepts-perez-anti-ptsd-email-senate-testimony-into-evidence/)

This was straight from a very vet friendly Examiner, so for those who doubt, the VA obviously keeping a close eye on QTC, perhaps even tightening afew screws or two.

I hope my post does not offend you. Deanbrt is correct. Also, when they ask about your childhood, I do not believe this should be ask any Veteran going through a C&P exam for PTSD. It is just another way to deny your claim. BTW, the Doctor may be a nice person, but he is not your friend. QTC pays him, and the VA pays QTC. Also, you said that you thought you were going to have a nervous breakdown in front of your wife. This tells me that you hide your feelings, and during this type of exam, this is the last thing you wanted to do.

Make sure you put in a formal request for a copy of the report. My QTC reports took me about 60 days before I got it from the VA.

Papa