VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims Flowing Throuigh The Va, We Need A Chart.

Rate this question

Guest jstacy

Question

Guest jstacy

We need to gather information and put it together, I would be happy to summarize it.

What we need for the vets at Hadit is a process flow for a claim. The VARO must have one for I believe it is required. for example. Recipt of claim. where does it go, then next, next, next, and so on and so on.

This way a vet can ask the VA where a claim is and look the information up and determine what stage the claim is in in being adjuducated.

Any ideas are appreciated.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• Founder

you can also view up to date case loads here VBA Monday Morning Reports http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/201/reports/mmrindex.htm

This is not an ad. I am not a member of the NVO. This post is just to show you how busy the flowchart can be.

Here is the National Veterans Organization VA workload flowchart.

As of:

January 28, 2006

http://www.nvo.org/workload.html

NVO wants absolutly no leeching from their website.

Guest jstacy

T bird, you are correct. We need a basic flow chart. We need to put it into language so that everyone can understand it. I am doing some research from the Title 38 to see is there is a process flow.

Guest jstacy

I have found enough to get information to get it started. I will attach a scanned copy to this site later today after I make the initial chart.

A lot of the flow info (If I understand what you are all talking about-like a claim step by step ) is found in 38 CFR

under Adjudication- Part 3:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...1.4&idno=38

Within M21-1 is the MOS as to how VA is to handle claims, steps by step also:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...1.4&idno=38

Parts 1 through 7

The 800# Vet reps -if they do not look at the VACOLS and COVERS screen-

might give you the wrong info as to the status and whereabouts of the claim-yet the adjudicators might be

be working on it and there is no update on the VA screen yet-

It does help to see the pattern they are supposed to follow when woriking a claim- as within above regs-

I had problem last week because 3 800# said my CUES were sent to the BVA-I had filed a Recon request-and was calling to see if they had received it yet-the claims had been denied June 20,2006 so how could they be at the BVA_

They advised me to call my vet rep because it did not make sense to them-either-

My vet rep (Former) I got a better one the next day

said he has no contact with the VARO so he could not help me-

I emailed his main boss and someone there confirmed that the BVA had the CUES-

I again called 800 and got one of the Good ones (after 20 years I have list of 800 people)

and -it took a few minutes but she found the CUES are in the Predetermination Team

(see M21-1 for what they do there)

and they were considering my recon request-

my long point here is-

lots of reading to learn how claims are processed---step by step-

DRO reviews alone have their own little format in M21-1

Even if you learn all the above, and then call the RO for a status of your claim-

if you get a lousy 800 # person- you will still be in the dark-

I say always get a second opinion -if the first vet rep at 800 doesnt help you, call back and get someone else-

I have M21-1 , 38 CFR and 38 USC on my desktop and/or in my favorite places=

and can access them in a heartbeat-

but it does take time to search for the specific part you need-

I keep the windows open for these regs behind Word when preparing NODs, etc, and this way I can shrink my Word page, copy and past the actual M21- or 38 Reg into the NOD, enlarge the NOD , finish it- and then even attach a copy of the reg also.

Without those links and the VBM I could not provide any advocacy at all-

lots and lots of reading- but it is all facinating (if you like legalise) and these regs themselves are often additional ammo you can use in the War of the Words we are forced to fight.

• HadIt.com Elder

Istacy

What I would bet is that the flow chart is different for each VA Regional Office. The St. Petersburg Office is one I think I understand. You file the claim; it is developed; you go for c&p exam, the claim goes to raters; you get thumbs up or down; you get appeal rights and SOC; from there you go to DRO or BVA. This is the bare bones but they seem to stick to it. I think that because St. Pete is so vast that you do have a chance with the DRO since the VA seems to want to cut down on appeals to the BVA and the critizism they know they will get when the claim is remanded. I would bet most claims are remanded. The St. Pete Office specializes in the low balling of claims and truncating EED's.

I read about others having their claims moved around and the AMC and Tiger Teams and all the rest. This just seems to be all ways to delay and pretend that the VA is doing something. My belief is that if the VA wanted to do these claims in a timely manner it could be done because the SSA will turn your claim around in 3-4 months. How can the SSA do it quicker when they have many more claims?

Even the horrible Office of Federal Workers Compensation is faster than the VA. They don't hold onto claims for years. They are more likely to deny complicated stress claims but they do it quickly. Their appeals system is a kangaroo court to be sure.

When I hear some of our vets saying their initial claims have been with the VA for 3-4 years I know the veterans are being screwed and lied to and disrespected. What can we do about this since we are a small minority of the American Public and out of sight out of mind? Why oh, why do young men and women continue to enlist in the Army and Marines not understanding what lies in front of them if they are wounded or suffer PTSD or chemical poisoning?

Guest jangrin
Istacy

What I would bet is that the flow chart is different for each VA Regional Office. The St. Petersburg Office is one I think I understand. You file the claim; it is developed; you go for c&p exam, the claim goes to raters; you get thumbs up or down; you get appeal rights and SOC; from there you go to DRO or BVA. This is the bare bones but they seem to stick to it. I think that because St. Pete is so vast that you do have a chance with the DRO since the VA seems to want to cut down on appeals to the BVA and the critizism they know they will get when the claim is remanded. I would bet most claims are remanded. The St. Pete Office specializes in the low balling of claims and truncating EED's.

I read about others having their claims moved around and the AMC and Tiger Teams and all the rest. This just seems to be all ways to delay and pretend that the VA is doing something. My belief is that if the VA wanted to do these claims in a timely manner it could be done because the SSA will turn your claim around in 3-4 months. How can the SSA do it quicker when they have many more claims?

Even the horrible Office of Federal Workers Compensation is faster than the VA. They don't hold onto claims for years. They are more likely to deny complicated stress claims but they do it quickly. Their appeals system is a kangaroo court to be sure.

When I hear some of our vets saying their initial claims have been with the VA for 3-4 years I know the veterans are being screwed and lied to and disrespected. What can we do about this since we are a small minority of the American Public and out of sight out of mind? Why oh, why do young men and women continue to enlist in the Army and Marines not understanding what lies in front of them if they are wounded or suffer PTSD or chemical poisoning?

John999,

The recent lost computer with the vet records says that there are at least 26 million vets that should be concerned with what is going on with the VA. Unfortunately we are loosing more and more of the WWII

veterans each day. These vets are very pround to have served thier country and have the respect of the American people.

I don't care what all the articles say and I don't believe the news either. The vietnam vets came home to a country that did not want anything to do with them, and our country turned their backs on these men and women. The wives and parents and children of the vietnam vets are and will always be the main support for them.

Most of the vietnam era veterans have distanced themselves from the VA, the VA treatment facilities and anything to do with the vietnam war and it's memories. I see more and more veterans as they need the help due to the failing health care system in this country have to turn to the VA for health care and treatment as they get older, only because they have no other choice.

Nothing is going to change until there is a change in the Vietnam veteran to gather tpgether ALL vietnam vets and stand up to the VA and the politicians that hold the purse strings. I would like for someone to please explain to me why we have veterans getting care at VA hospitals aned medical centers when they could be merged into the medicare and medicaid federal system and recieve care from civilian doctors and clinics.

This is just a way for the government to hide there inhumane treatment of veterans and to continue on without being held accountable for their political decisions. The VA is only a cover-up for the atrocities we have inflicted on our own service members. I'm sorry to have my diatribe here, but 26 million vets better have some clout in this country. We just need to figure out how to unite them so even the most vulnerable will be protected.

Thank you for listening, this was probably the wrong forum topic. I appologize in advance. Sometimes this system makes ya want to scream. :rolleyes:

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin