• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• fundraising.jpegGive a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
hammerman15

Already Have Ssdi But V.a. Disabilty For Same Thing..

Question

Hi,

I have already been approved for SDDI (totally disabled) and have been receiving benefits from them for about 8 months. I want to file for VA disablity for aggravation of a condition while I was in the Army. I am rated 40% with the VA currently but all for physical conditions no mental.

My SSDI was approved soley for mental conditions using my VA records of treatment for mental health treatment received at the V.A.

My questions are:

1. Does my SSDI "count" at all for a VA mental health rating?

2. I was taking lithium prior to my entrance into the service but the Army discontinued it and I never took it while in the Army

3. I had to have a waiver to get in the Army because of my lithium usage and a Army doctor signed off on my enlistment

4. Is that enough of a nexus?

5. Any tips?

6. My dates of service were 88-96 gulf war era veteran (West Germany,Western Corridor Korea and 36 opfor rotations at NTC)

Thank you very much

19D20 Cav Scout

The VA will tell you this.

A Preservice disability only pays for the aggravaton part and only to te extent of the aggravation.

Usually half or less of a rating schedule item.

J

the va will use the documents from SSDI as additional medical evidence in your evaluation, however you will still need a nexus if you plan on submitting a claim for any type mental health condition.

Hi,

I have already been approved for SDDI (totally disabled) and have been receiving benefits from them for about 8 months. I want to file for VA disablity for aggravation of a condition while I was in the Army. I am rated 40% with the VA currently but all for physical conditions no mental.

My SSDI was approved soley for mental conditions using my VA records of treatment for mental health treatment received at the V.A.

My questions are:

1. Does my SSDI "count" at all for a VA mental health rating? Answer - NO

2. I was taking lithium prior to my entrance into the service but the Army discontinued it and I never took it while in the Army

3. I had to have a waiver to get in the Army because of my lithium usage and a Army doctor signed off on my enlistment

4. Is that enough of a nexus? Answer - NO - that is not even a nexus.

5. Any tips?

6. My dates of service were 88-96 gulf war era veteran (West Germany,Western Corridor Korea and 36 opfor rotations at NTC)

Thank you very much

19D20 Cav Scout

carlie (in blue)

You don't say wether you are taking lithium now or not but I assume you are. J is right though a condition that you are wavied to serve with will ONLY be granted an evaluation if you can prove agravation and by what amount. In other words if it was say 30% when you went in and lets say in got 60& worse you would be comed at 30%.

Stillhere

I am taking numerous meds given by the VA and going to VA mental health groups and have been now for over a year on the groups and three years on the meds. I am extremely aggressive when not medicated and have several run ins with the police and had firearms taken away twice and 2 psychiatric lockups at the VA over the past 3 years.

My thinking is that my aggressive tendencies were exacerbated by my MOS and duty stations as well as witnessing several very scary events while in the Army including the deaths of three soldiers who were killed when there Bradleys flipped during an exercise in Ft Irwin CA.

My diagnosis's from the VA are several and several different VA doctors are saying different things

Axis 1 Depression NOS possible dysthymic disorder

Axis 2 Paranoid Personality Disorder

Axis 3 No current diagnosis

Gaf of 50

This is the general consensus

I have been told I have anti social personality disorder as well in my VA treatment notes over the last few years and have taken the MMPI twice at the VA

and both times came back as Paranoid Personality Disorder.

Any other information I can provide to you guys please let me know.

Thanks

19D20

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By damnitface77
      For Starters, I want to thank anyone who takes the time to read this and give me a little perspective. I just got my final C&P results after a series of claims. Currently I am 94% combined rating if I include my Sleep apnea claim (The Dr. wrote it was medically neccesary to use the CPAP, so I do expect the 50%. This C&P below was conducted to separate my anxiety disorder from my TBI disorder. Currently I have a 70% rating for Anxiety with residuals of TBI. I was wondering if anyone could read this and tell me if they think I can expect a separate rating for TBI memory loss based on the Dr's opinion stating that my issue is 80% anxiety and 20% TBI (see note 2b below). If I can get at least a 10% for TBI in addition to the 70% for anxiety, It should push me over the threshhold of 100% schedular. The only edits I made to this was to remove names.  Again, thank you for your time and expertise
      70% Anxiety (Trauma with TBI residuals)
      50% Sleep Apnea
      20% Degenerative Disc Disease
      20% Upper Neuropathy Right / 20% Upper Neuropathy Left
      10% Lower Radiculopathy Right / 10% Lower Radiculopathy Left
      0% TBI Migraines
      LOCAL TITLE: COMP AND PEN NOTE
      STANDARD TITLE: C & P EXAMINATION NOTE
      DATE OF NOTE: JAN 28, 2019@14:30 ENTRY DATE: JAN 30, 2019@11:11:26
      AUTHOR: *********** E EXP COSIGNER: URGENCY: STATUS: COMPLETED
      Mental Disorders
      (other than PTSD and Eating Disorders)
      Disability Benefits Questionnaire Name of patient/Veteran: *****
      Is this DBQ being completed in conjunction with a VA 21-2507, C&P Examination
      Request?
      [X] Yes [ ] No
      SECTION I: ----------
      1. Diagnosis
      ------------
      a. Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with a mental
      disorder(s)? [X] Yes [ ] No
      ICD code: 300.00
      If the Veteran currently has one or more mental disorders that conform to DSM-5 criteria, provide all diagnoses:
      Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: Unspecifed Anxiety disorder, chronic, severe
      disorder.
      ICD code: 300.00 Comments, if any:
      Vet had been seen initially on 2/11/18 for Mental Health C+P exam done
      by Dr. *****(which proposed "Anxiety disorder, NOS" then, while f/u
      C+P exam on 2/16/14 had proposed Other specified trauma and stressor related disorder(as vet had been in IED blast in 2006 - see Mental Disorder diagnosis #2 below.
      Unspecified anxiety disorder is synonymous with Neurosis - which vet is
      already 70% SC for, in combination with residuals of TBI apparently). I
      am therefore not intending to change his Neurosis condition now, but Unspecified anxiety disorder is most accurate diagnosis consistent with DSM-V, as I see it now.
      Mental Disorder Diagnosis #2: Cognitive disorder due to Closed Head
      iInjury(CHI), due to 6/1/2006 "double-attacked anti-tank mine" IED blast.
      ICD code: 294.9 Comments, if any:
      Vet was in 2nd Iraq combat deployment - out of 3 tours he served there -
      when 6/1/06 IED hit his heavy equipment vehicle(which vet had referred to as 'palitizing loading system').
      b. Medical diagnoses relevant to the understanding or management of the Mental Health Disorder (to include TBI): Vet is already 0% SC for
      migraine headaches.
      Comments, if any:
      Vet is already SC for migraine headaches. Vet is already 20% SC for Intervertebral DIsc Syndrome, 20% SC for Paralysis of musculospiral nerve(x2), 10% SC fo paralysis of sciatic nerve(x2).
      Vet also apparently had a 2/15/18 sleep study done that indicated a mild
      sleep apnea condition.
      2. Differentiation of symptoms
      ------------------------------
      a. Does the Veteran have more than one mental disorder diagnosed?
      [X] Yes [ ] No
      b. Is it possible to differentiate what symptom(s) is/are attributable to each diagnosis?
      [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not applicable (N/A)
      If yes, list which symptoms are attributable to each diagnosis and discuss whether there is any clinical association between these diagnoses Symptoms(i.e., anxiety, sleep problmes) are due to Unspecified
      anxiety disorder, while symptoms(memory problems, headaches) are due
      to Cognitive disorder due to CHI.
      c. Does the Veteran have a diagnosed traumatic brain injury (TBI)? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not shown in records reviewed
      d. Is it possible to differentiate what symptom(s) is/are attributable to TBI
      and any non-TBI mental health diagnosis? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not applicable (N/A)
      If yes, list which symptoms are attributable to TBI and which symptoms
      are attributable to a non-TBI mental health diagnosis see 2b above.
      3. Occupational and social impairment -------------------------------------
      a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of
      occupational
      and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only one)
      [X] Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or
      mood
      b. For the indicated occupational and social impairment, is it possible to differentiate which impairment is caused by each mental disorder? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not Applicable (N/A)
      If yes, list which occupational and social impairment is attributable to each diagnosis
      About 80% of vet's current occupational and social impairment is due
      to Unspecified anxiety disorder while about 20% is due to Cognitive disorder due to CHI.
      c. If a diagnosis of TBI exists, is it possible to differentiate which occupational and social impairment indicated above is caused by the TBI? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not Applicable (N/A)
      If yes, list which impairment is attributable to TBI and which is attributable to any non-TBI mental health diagnosis see 3b above.
      SECTION II:
      ----------- Clinical Findings: ------------------
      1. Evidence Review
      ------------------
      Evidence reviewed (check all that apply):
      [X] VA e-folder
      [X] CPRS
      [X] Other (please identify other evidence reviewed):
      Vet broiught a 4 page typed letter 1/12/19 done by himself describing
      in detail his current ongoing issues("I did not want to forget to tell
      you something important"), and vet admits it took him severalhours to
      complete(and which he kept revising many times). He brought a 2 page
      letter dated 1/27/19 done by his wife ******, a 2 page typed letter dated
      1/17/19 done by mother ********, and a 1 page typed letter dated
      1/27/19 done by vet's friend/combat comrade(served together in Iraq)
      named *******, and all 4 letter were reviewed by me.
      Evidence Comments:
      CPRS was reviewed by me and included my(***** MD) 12/5 18 Review TBI C+P exam report, as well as 5/16/14 C+P exam report done by Dr *****(sa
      well
      as Initial 2/18/11 MH C+P exam aslo done by Dr. ******.
      VBMS was reviewed by me and included vet's Army DD-214 signed b *****
      which included MOS(88M30) Mortor Vehicle Operator,as well as E-6 discharge
      rank. His medals included CAB - among others, and he had Iraq combat dates
      of 1/03 - 7/03, 8/05 - 8/06, and 3/08 - 6/09 - for his 3 seperate Iraq combat tours.
      2. History
      ----------
      a. Relevant Social/Marital/Family history (pre-military, military, and
      post-military):
      Vet is married ****(and they have 2 sons(around ages 5 and nearly 7).
      b. Relevant Occupational and Educational history (pre-military, military, and
      post-military): Vet has been working in his current Passport Agency job since 2015(was at an administrative clerk(for a different agency) before that.
      c. Relevant Mental Health history, to include prescribed medications and family mental health (pre-military, military,
      and post-military):
      Vet has been on sertraline 150mg since 9/10/18 - it takes the "edge" off
      my problems, but he apparently has been having some sexual side effects(delayed ejaculation) related to that .
      d. Relevant Legal and Behavioral history (pre-military, military, and post-military):
      Vet has had no legal problems(and no jail time) since the 5/14/16 C+P exam report date.
      e. Relevant Substance abuse history (pre-military, military, and post-military):
      Vet has had no alcohol misuse disorder problems sicne 5/16/14. He has used no street drugs since 16/14.
      f. Other, if any:
      No response provided.
      3. Symptoms
      -----------
      For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the Veteran's diagnoses:
      [X] Anxiety
      [X] Suspiciousness
      [X] Panic attacks that occur weekly or less often
      [X] Chronic sleep impairment
      [X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent
      events
      [X] Impairment of short- and long-term memory, for example, retention of
      only highly learned material, while forgetting to complete tasks
      [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood
      [X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social
      relationships
      [X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or
      a
      worklike setting
      [X] Obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities
      4. Behavioral observations
      --------------------------
      Vet was totally genuine at the 1/28/19 Review Mental Health C+P exam.
      5. Other symptoms
      -----------------
      Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to mental disorders that are not listed above?
      [X] Yes [ ] No
      If yes, describe:
      Vet admits to having anger difficulties, 'spacing out' at times, and
      general feeling of being confused/overwhelmed. He reports having lost
      his social "filter" abilities. He reports previously having been very
      "easygoing" prior to the military.
      Vet still gets nervous if seeing sandbags lying on the side of the road -
      left by construction crew(as that is what he looked for over in Iraq as being a potential IED.)
      He has to reorganize plates/trays a certain way, either at home or when leaving a restaurant, respectively.
      He denies having any suicidal thoughts("No, I'm addicted to life, I love
      breathing".).
      6. Competency
      -------------
      Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs? [X] Yes [ ] No
      7. Remarks (including any testing results), if any: ---------------------------------------------------
      Vet owns a pistol. He does not hunt - only tried it once, but did not get anything then.
      He denied having any current active suicidal or homicidal ideation.

• By AimSmall
      Hello All,
      Ive been coming to this site on and off for a couple of years, but this is my first post. Lot of knowledgeable and great people here. Thank you to all the old timers and those with experience for everything you contribute here. You do a lot for people, even though it may not be evident. 
      Im a 36 year old 100 P&T VA for combat related PTSD, TBI and other service connected issues. Former active duty 11B B4, fought with the 101st in OIF. Left active in 2009 as I was having issues. No one was helping me, didnt understand what was wrong with me, and of course the culture of "if youre not bleeding or missing a limb, dont go to sick call", ect. So I left, joined the reserves where Ive been ever since. That door is about to close as well, as I just cant do it anymore. I did my best to try and still contribute to my nation, feel some sense of worth and continue to serve, but my issues are too great and I have to step away. Even though the Army has changed a lot, I still feel a great sense of loss of over this. But, I have a family now and must do what is best for them. That alone is difficult for me. Those of you who have the same issues as me may understand, PTSD and TBI are what I call a "perfect storm of bull____". Our hardware and software are both busted and feed off each other in ways that I myself cannot even begin to describe.  Damn near ruined my life and just trying to get through the average day takes everything Ive got. I used to be a mostly-normal, fun-loving, smart and well-adjusted guy and I was good at my job. Anyway, this ain't a therapy session, but Im sure a lot of you can understand where Im coming from.
      My latest battle is with SSDI. Denied. Appeal denied. Now Im onto the hearing phase. Hearing is set for April 5th. I have a lawyer firm I sort of just picked out of a hat. They arent even in my locale, Im in the Northwest, they are Philadelphia or something. They are supposed to be representing me. I have a hearing in April and I havent even talked to a real lawyer yet. Im worried and scared about this whole process. It has made me extremely anxious, among other things. Its causing a lot of extra stress. Im trying to find answers on how to maximize my chances of success. 
      What Ive gleaned so far is of course, get all VA records. I still attend treatment every month (i would go more but Its a 4 hour round trip just to see them every month). Im sure its going to be harder to get SSDI because of my age too. Not to mention, the VA does not seem the best at keeping records. Most all of my treatment has been with the standard-issue social worker therapist type and of course, the docs/nurses who prescribe me my meds.
      My head is swimming. I am having a hard time making sense of all this. Im scared and I could really use some guidance. I dont trust these lawyer people to do their best for me. Im hoping there is not something critical I am missing. Im not good at describing my symptoms, reflecting on my life.... let alone in court in front of a judge.  Sorry such a long post, sort of hard to collect my thoughts. Thanks for any input and advice. 

• By Navy4life
      Hi there!  Long time member here but been MIA for awhile.  Life has been busy and I have been dealing with health issues.  Long story short, I went through a battery of tests to find out what is wrong with me.  I did an ANA-TITER test, and it was positive for an auto immune disease.   Was referred to the RA doctor for further testing to see if I had lupus.  The RA doctor did blood tests and determined I don't have lupus.  We did additionally physical exam at the VA back in May and he determined I had Fibromyalgia and diagnosed me with it.  We discussed that my Fibromyalgia co-exists with PTSD/MST and IBS.  We also discussed that Fibromyalgia can be secondary to my already service-connected PTSD/MST or even maybe my IBS.  I discussed this with my representative and we decided to file a claim for Fibromyalgia (non-service connected disability) to an already service-connected disability.  Either PTSD/MST or IBS and we asked that they evaluate either causation or aggravation.
      We filed in July and I had my C&P exam in September.  The examiner was asked by the rater to give his medical opinion as to the Fibro being secondary to my PTSD/MST.  The rater did not ask if it was possible to be secondary to my IBS like we requested.  The examiner did a C&P DBQ for Fibro and that was positive.  I do have Fibro, that isn't the issue.  The medical opinion is what was disturbing.  I was with the examiner for less than 5 minutes.  He stated he physically examined me when he did not and he seemed very unknowledgeable about Fibro/PTSD-MST/IBS as co-existing and determining either causation or aggravation.  Of course the medical opinion stated, "less likely than not".  I was floored, so I went to work for my claim.
      I contacted my RA doctor and we talked with my representative on the phone as well.  By the end of the call he was confident enough to link my PTSD/MST as aggravation to my Fibromyalgia.  He wrote a one/two paragraph letter on my behalf.  We sent that to the rater.  Then I spoke to my MH provider last week and she too wrote me a very good NEXUS letter.  That was sent to the rater yesterday.  Both my doctor's are at the VA and both stepped out on a limb for me.  I am hoping their medical opinions outweigh the negative C&P medical opinion.
      I am attaching the C&P exams (redacted), the two medical opinions (redacted) - I am hoping I am successful because this will make me 100% scheduler.  I am currently 94% overall rated.
      C&P _Redacted.pdf
      nexus 2_Redacted.pdf
      redacted.pdf
      redacted2.pdf
    • By scythis
      I received the short from from Social Security and checked the box "In the last year, I have not discussed with my doctor whether I can work".  This is because it is understood that I cannot, and my doctor and I don't discuss working (at least, I think) because its a given that it is permanent that I cannot.  Anyhow, this seems to have triggered the long form from ssdi and I filled it out and sent it in asap.  I put my psych dr's contact info and my therapist's.  My question is: Should I contact my doctor or therapist in advance or just let them respond to what the SS office asks for?
      Thanks much! 
    • By paulcolrain
      IF YOU CAN PLEASE LIKE THIS POST SO THAT I KNOW IM NOT ALONE......
      ITS MY BELIEF THAT IF EACH AND EVERY VETERAN GETS A VA CASE WORKER JUST LIKE THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMIN GIVES THENNN,,,,
      WE AS VETS WOULD ALWAYS KNOW WHATS GOING ON AND HAVE A PHONE NUMBER TO 1 PERSON AND BE ABLE TO SUBMIT NEW EVIDENCE TO 1 PERSON JUST LIKE THE CLAIMANTS OF SS.
      WE COULD STILL USE VSO'S TO FIND OUT WHAT BENEFITS  WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO AND ARGUE FOR BUT,,,,,,, WE WOULD NOW HAVE A SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT WITHIN THE VA SYSTEM WORKING ON OUR CLAIMS AND CASE WHO WORKS FOR VA AS THE CASE MANAGER FOR US THE INDIVIDUAL.
      PLEASE VOTE THIS AND LIKE IF YOU AGREE...
  • Ads

• Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines