VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Already Have Ssdi But V.a. Disabilty For Same Thing..

Rate this question

hammerman15

Question

Hi,

I have already been approved for SDDI (totally disabled) and have been receiving benefits from them for about 8 months. I want to file for VA disablity for aggravation of a condition while I was in the Army. I am rated 40% with the VA currently but all for physical conditions no mental.

My SSDI was approved soley for mental conditions using my VA records of treatment for mental health treatment received at the V.A.

My questions are:

1. Does my SSDI "count" at all for a VA mental health rating?

2. I was taking lithium prior to my entrance into the service but the Army discontinued it and I never took it while in the Army

3. I had to have a waiver to get in the Army because of my lithium usage and a Army doctor signed off on my enlistment

4. Is that enough of a nexus?

5. Any tips?

6. My dates of service were 88-96 gulf war era veteran (West Germany,Western Corridor Korea and 36 opfor rotations at NTC)

Thank you very much

19D20 Cav Scout

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hammer

Big red flag!!! You getting a waiver for enlistment b/c you are on lithium means your mental health issues pre existed service, and, are not only NOT a nexus, but you will be forced to try to get service connection for mental disorders by aggravation, since it pre existed service. This is a big red "denial" flag for mental health disorders. It will be very difficult for you to get SC for a mental health disorder that pre existed service.

Even if you are able to demonstrate "aggravation", you will likely only be SC for mental health disorders to the extent that they exceeded the level when you got INTO the service.

To show aggravation, you would need a medical opinion that said:

1. How the military aggravated your mental health disorder.

and

2. To what extent is your mental health worse now than when you entered service, and which part of this is due to military and what part is due to other factors.

Good luck with that.