• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• fundraising.jpegGive a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
Vync

Asthma "likelihood Of Improvement"

Question

In 2009, I was awarded a 60% asthma rating for meeting "intermittent (at least three per year) courses of systemic (oral or parenteral) corticosteroids" criteria. Since then, I have met or exceeded the number of treatments each year. The award letter included the following statement:

"Please note: Since there is a likelihood of improvement, the assigned evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to a future review examination."

How long does one need to continue meeting this criteria in order for the "likelihood of improvement" to no longer be a factor? Would an IMO be sufficient? If so, how should it be worded?

Edited by Vync

4 answers to this question

Vync,

I would think this issue would be like most others. I think you could get ahead of the curve by getting an IMO, submitting a statement in support of claim as a fully developed claim and requesting re-evaluation. Hopefully, the VARO would do a desk-top review and simply make the change to "permanent" status. They may ask for a C&P, but with an IMO on file this shouldn't be a huge hurdle. Again, my speculation but I could see where your IMO might save you this worry down the road.

Absent any substantial, marked improvement after five years, your 60% rating will become permanent ( but not protected). This means VA won't drag you in every two years for an ongoing dog and pony show to see if the asthma has resolved. VA regulations state this succinctly. After twenty years it is considered a protected rating and cannot be rescinded absent fraudulent actions to attain it. The five year rule has been known to be abused but is written to protect Vets. To do it, VA will have to come up with two (2) examinations that clearly show sustained improvement and not just a flash in the pan. I have read of Vets who got a C&P with less than 6 months to the 20 year mark who got reductions. These gentlemen admittedly no longer suffered as extensively from their maladies for which they were rated on a percentage basis, but it still seems like a cheap shot. VA is not your BFF. I don't care what your VSO tells you. If they can engineer a reduction legally, they will.

In talking with Broncovet and a couple of other folks, the 5 year rule makes sense. In two years I will reach the 20 year mark for straight out SC of my asthma. I just had my DRO review and submitted a solid set of evidence to justify continuing the 60% rating, which also included recent PFT's qualifying in that range. Now to wait and see what happens...

Expect a C&P exam between now and then for their opportunity to bushwack you. Keep your medical hx/dr. visits up to snuff to prove your condition is chronic rather than acute. I see your posted SC @ 90%? Not TDIU? Danger, Danger Will Robinson.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By weep4souls
      I'm a Gulf War veteran with 90% S/C for various conditions. Some conditions that have been denied have been frustrating since I'm still suffering with symptoms. How can I create a Nexus for sinusitis and sleep apnea? I'm 30% for asthma and tried to create a relation between sleep apnea and asthma, but that was a no go. I was thinking trying again and tying my PTSD to that. Any thoughts? 
      I was also shot down on sinusitis from the get go, but I thought all I had to do was tie my gulf war time to that condition. I guess I was wrong.
    • By vgorman0306
      Hey guys, 

I don't know if I'm in the right place but i was needing some clarification. After fighting with the military for six years, the C&P examiner stated that my condition precludes me from any physical occupation. 
      I developed asthma back in 2012, while in service. Is that typical wording for pretty much everyone? I guess my English isn't that great and i would like someone to please explain to me what that entails? The examiner 
      also stated that there is a 50% chance or greater that my injury was incurred in the line of duty, does that mean that they service connected me? 

thank you for responding. 
    • By madog31
      I had infant asthma with all signs and symptoms of asthma gone by the time I was 9 or 10 years old.  On my pre-enlistment questionnaire, I marked I that I had had asthma (question says do you have or have you had) I had it as a kid and it was gone.  I enlisted in the Navy in 1979 and based upon all the research I have been able to find, with any history of asthma, I don't think I should have been allowed to enlist.  I have my service records and they are silent of any respiratory testing to enlist. The best I understand is they accepted me with a presumption of soundness.
      I had not had any sort asthma symptoms for at least 8-10 years prior to service.  During rigorous running and physical training in boot camp, I had an asthma attack and had to go to the dispensary.
      I filed a claim recently for service connection for asthma because it was aggravated in service and I was treated for an attack in service. I also have a 40% rating for a knee condition and have not been able to do much to be active over the years. At my most recent yearly VA physical, my cholesterol and weight were both going up so I figured I needed to do something to get some exercise. Swimming laps is something suggested to me so I tried that and after about 20 minutes of laps I had to quit because I was having asthma breathing problems.  I told my VA doctor who treated me with a daily inhaler and a rescue inhaler. Both have helped improve symptoms.
      The VA denied my claim for asthma saying it was preexisting. I had been asthma free for almost a decade prior to service.  If regulations at the time I enlisted say I should have been disqualified for service, but they let me in with a presumption of soundness, what steps do I take in my appeal?
      My mother has written a lay statement of the chronology of my childhood asthma and when symptoms were gone.  How do I show aggravation v exacerbation?  What should a doctors IMO say?
      Thank you.
    • By Organized_Chaos
      What's up Fellow Vets,
      I am new to this site and I wanted to explain my case and get advise.
      I was medically discharged from the Army in 2004 due to a diagnosis of asthma (30% disability).  I never had any kind of respiratory problems until I arrived in Germany in 2003.  I started experiencing difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, excessive snoring, dry mouth, fatigue, ect.  After several trips to the doctor and several tests, the Army doctors diagnosed me with having asthma.  I never had asthma so all the symptoms i was experiencing were new to me.  
      Fast forward to 2017, I was having trouble with the hormones in my body.  I was experiencing ecessive daytime sleepiness, fatigue, memory problems and loud snoring (ask my wife).   After several tests and appointments, it was requested by my doctor that I have a sleep study performed.  I didnt know why I would need this test but reluctantly, I agreed and took the test.  After the test, I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea  with an AHI 77.5.  Moderate is 5 and severe is 10+.  So it turns out that the symptoms i was experiencing while in the army were of both asthma and severe OSA.  The doctors in the Army never even mentioned or tested me for sleep apnea.  I had a DBQ done at the VA Hospital in which i am being treated.  In the DBQ, the Dr states:
      a. Describe the history (including onset and course) of the Veteran's sleep disorder condition (brief summary):
      Veteran reports excessive daytime fatigue and sleepiness, unrefreshing
      sleep ,snoring and frequent awakening. He had a sleep study at Northport VAMC on 8/11/2017
      whihc showed severe obstructive sleep apnea with AHI 77.5 events per hour. He had a CPAP titration study on 8/23/2017 which showed
      improvement to AHI of 12.9 events per hour.  He just got his CPAP machine yesterday. As of now, he gets about 4
      hours of sleep per night. He does not restorative sleep. He does find himself falling asleep during the day.
      Does the Veteran's sleep apnea impact his or her ability to work?
      [X] Yes [ ] No
      If yes, describe impact of the Veteran's sleep apnea, providing one
      or
      more examples:
      he is tired throughout the day. His poor sleep has led to foggy
      thinking and poor short term memory.

I just went on ebenefits and submitted a claim for sleep apnea and Unemployability.  Do you think i have a valid claim?
    • By Organized_Chaos
      What's up Fellow Vets,
      I am new to this site and I wanted to explain my case and get advise.
      I was medically discharged from the Army in 2004 due to a diagnosis of asthma (30% disability).  I never had any kind of respiratory problems until I arrived in Germany in 2003.  I started experiencing difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, excessive snoring, dry mouth, fatigue, ect.  After several trips to the doctor and several tests, the Army doctors diagnosed me with having asthma.  I never had asthma so all the symptoms i was experiencing were new to me.  
      Fast forward to 2017, I was having trouble with the hormones in my body.  I was experiencing ecessive daytime sleepiness, fatigue, memory problems and loud snoring (ask my wife).   After several tests and appointments, it was requested by my doctor that I have a sleep study performed.  I didnt know why I would need this test but reluctantly, I agreed and took the test.  After the test, I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea  with an AHI 77.5.  Moderate is 5 and severe is 10+.  So it turns out that the symptoms i was experiencing while in the army were of both asthma and severe OSA.  The doctors in the Army never even mentioned or tested me for sleep apnea.  I had a DBQ done at the VA Hospital in which i am being treated.  In the DBQ, the Dr states:
      a. Describe the history (including onset and course) of the Veteran's sleep disorder condition (brief summary):
      Veteran reports excessive daytime fatigue and sleepiness, unrefreshing
      sleep ,snoring and frequent awakening. He had a sleep study at Northport VAMC on 8/11/2017
      whihc showed severe obstructive sleep apnea with AHI 77.5 events per hour. He had a CPAP titration study on 8/23/2017 which showed
      improvement to AHI of 12.9 events per hour.  He just got his CPAP machine yesterday. As of now, he gets about 4
      hours of sleep per night. He does not restorative sleep. He does find himself falling asleep during the day.
      Does the Veteran's sleep apnea impact his or her ability to work?
      [X] Yes [ ] No
      If yes, describe impact of the Veteran's sleep apnea, providing one
      or
      more examples:
      he is tired throughout the day. His poor sleep has led to foggy
      thinking and poor short term memory.

I just went on ebenefits and submitted a claim for sleep apnea and Unemployability.  Do you think i have a valid claim?  
  • Ads

• Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines