VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thoracolumbar....

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

It is my understanding that the VA rates the Thoracolumbar as one segment. Basically this means if one part of the Thoracic spine is messed up and later on in life the lumbar starts to mess up then it is suppose to be rated as the same as if it was the thoracic spine because there is no Thoracic and lumbar separation in the diagnostic codes...Correct?

I've been looking at all my stuff and I think I missed something and so has the VA of course. After the accident in service it was my thoracic spine area that gave me huge problems. Then within a year all the pain progressed to my lower back and cervical spine. While in service the XRays showed degenerative changes in my thoracic spine. I was medically discharged for mechanical lower back pain (trust me if I knew then what I knew now, they should have retired me because of my cervical spine also)....

Fast forward to today. I currently have Osteoarthritis in CSpine, Thoracic Spine and Lumbar Spine. But in my Thoracic Spine you can see the vertebrae basically deteriorating, I think its called Schmorl's nodes which are small protrusions of vertebral disk tissue that bulge through the ends of weakened vertebrae.

In 2011, after realizing the VA never connected nor even mentioned my Thoracic Spine issues I file a claim on that particular issue. Well the C&P examiner said that it was an inservice diagnosis and that it was 100% service connected.

So, if my thoracic spine is serviced connected with current Osteoarthritis should the VA have SC'd my Osteoarthritis/DDD in my Lumbar with the same claim when in fact they knew I had DDD back then and I had a similar active claim and since they are ONE segment? This is like saying we if a person had two breaks in one bone and they SC'd one break but not the other.

Here is the definition of Thoracolumbar:

1. Of or relating to the thoracic and lumbar parts of the spinal column.
2. Of or relating to the thoracic and lumbar nerves.
3. Of or relating to the sympathetic division of the autonomic nervous system.
I could be wrong but the VA should have rated both as one?
They are Preparing a Decision on my current claims but I do have a NOD by DRO actively in with them. I did submit a Dr. Bash IMO for the NOD and the active claims. I am hoping they will combine both of them together on making a decision, I can just hope.
If they don't couldn't this argument be one of the many arguments that I have I can use if I have to or when I go see the DRO for the NOD if I have to go that far?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest G�l�o

Don't know what this will mean to the VA but what I'm wondering is what percent ill get for my MRI diagnoses...

- THORAC/LUMBOSACRAL NEURITIS/RADICULITIS

- DDD LUMBAR SPINE

- LUMBAR DISC DISPLACEMENT

Don't know what this will mean to the VA but what I'm wondering is what percent ill get for my MRI diagnoses...

- THORAC/LUMBOSACRAL NEURITIS/RADICULITIS

- DDD LUMBAR SPINE

- LUMBAR DISC DISPLACEMENT

Please don't post the same thing in different forums

and start a new topic.

Thanks

I have mild degeneration in my t12 and t11 I hurt my back numerous times but never went to sick call, so I don't have anything noted in my smr. Will the va grant sc if you told the c and p doc about your pain prior to ets and they are currently still developing your claim. I have x rays showing degeneration of my lower thoracic spine. I'm only 33 and never injured my back prior to my 3 years in the infantry.

I have mild degeneration in my t12 and t11 I hurt my back numerous times but never went to sick call, so I don't have anything noted in my smr. Will the va grant sc if you told the c and p doc about your pain prior to ets and they are currently still developing your claim. I have x rays showing degeneration of my lower thoracic spine. I'm only 33 and never injured my back prior to my 3 years in the infantry.

i would say most likely not. If you don't have the Inservice medical documentation they won't make that leap for you. They are notorious for this. Look through your records maybe you are overlooking something, that happens with the timespan I between your injury and when you decide to pursue a claim. Edited by arng11

Leadbelly, If you have xray evidence of arthritis within service or the first year afterwards, service connection should be no problem!

That is exactly the thing. I don't. But as I understand things the va has the duty to assist the veteran in developing the claim. I filed this claim in September 2003 two months prior to my gets. After I gets I got a letter stating that my claim was deferred for additional development, had the va developed my claim would have had evidence but they didn't and it is now 11 years later. I would have also had evidence after I got out but I made to much to qualify for va or state insurance but not enough to afford private insurance. So right now the va acknowledged that my claim is outstanding and has again deferred it for additional development. I have Dr x rays from my chiropractic doc showing he degeneration in the area where I have pain.