VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam For Arthritis - Do I Stop Medication To Prove The Severity?

Rate this question

justrluk

Question

So in my remand, the VLJ wanted a more recent C&P for arthritis. He also stated that this should be during a flare-up of the condition to see the full extent of the claimed disability. My question for my brothers and sisters out there is this: has anyone STOPPED taking medication for a condition so the C&P shows the extent of the condition? If not or if so, why?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Do some yardwork or house cleaning with lots of bending and stooping and you will be fine for the exam. Start a few days ahead of the exam so all your joints have time to freeze up.

John

Thanks, John! I'll work my hardest so they can see just how bad "bad" is.

I did stop taking anti inflammatories a couple of days before my exam and I had a flare up the day of the exam. I wouldn't over do it with yard work. Just me.

many people will have their own recipe for preparing for their c/p exam, but when someone even hints at the fact that you should not take your prescribed medication is wrong. That decision lies with the vet and his/her doctor.

I have had so many veterans tell me that they have been told by other veterans not to take their meds the day before or the day of.

I would not want to be a veteran that told another veteran not to take the prescribed medication and something happens to the vet because of that advice....JMHO!!!!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm split on this one: the remand stated that if they couldn't get a "good read" on my condition while taking medications to describe why this was the case. I really want this over with, but at what cost?? I know the exam will be months away given the rate the Atlanta VARO moves. More than likely, I'll see my rheumatologist before the exam. Maybe she will add something to my record advising against dropping medications just to prove a point. Has anyone else been able to do this?

Thanks!