Ptsd Meb/peb Crsc Help

NorthCoasty

Question

So I'm new, been searching everywhere and it seems most relevant information is on a case by case information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My situation:

Currently active duty less than 4 years of service. In the early stages of getting MEB, package hasn't been sent off yet. In past year there was incident on duty out at sea shots fired, and a death, i wasnt physically harmed but did develop PTSD and depression. The base doc sent me to the VA to get an assessment, VA initally said 30% confirmed PTSD, now in process of discharging me due to PTSD( over 6 months now), im fine with that. My life is completely different or at least I am.

I think VA doc said 30% for like longterm but there is absolutely no way I can function at work.

My questions:

1.If being medboarded out for PTSD is it an automatic 50%

2.Since my disability is directly related to duty and i would say probably (armed conflict?) would I qualify for CRSC, I'm in CG so not sure how that affects anything.

3. Since my situation is pretty clear cut should i worry about the military trying to lowball me at PEB, should i get a lawyer or is JAG sufficent.

Im sure I have plenty of other questions just wanted to learn as much a possible before it happens. I'm messed up, my marriage is struggling due to me being a wreck, I just want what Im entilted to.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

if you are med boarded and the decision is to release you, you will be awarded 50% temporary. You will then be brought back for an additional evaluation for your mental condition between 6-9 months after getting out.

As for CRSC, actually that would depend on what exactly is written in your medical records. Also depends upon the incident where shots were fired. What was the cause of the shots? What was your duties/responsibilities during the shots fired?

Once your 199 is returned, you have 7 days to obtain an appointment with Jag so they can go over your claim with you. if you fell that you are not receiving what you should, the jag officer has a 38 CFR and will be able to tell you exactly what the VA used to make their determination.

Your case manager should have explained all this to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Meg is right on the mark here with her advise.

I had forgotten the 50% Temp comp for PTSD,when MEBbed, and am glad she explained that.

As to CRSC, this is the eligibility criteria:

“Combat-Related Special Compensation Eligibility

The following CRSC eligibility requirements apply:

Retired veterans with combat-related injuries must meet all of the following criteria to apply for CRSC:
1. Active, Reserve with 20 years of creditable service or * Chapter 61 medically retired with less than 20 years.
2. Receiving military retired pay
3. Have 10% or greater VA rated injury
4. Military retired pay is reduced by VA disability payments (VA Waiver)

*CRSC Updates: The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) was signed into law on January 28, 2008. It expanded the eligibility of CRSC to include anyone recieving military retired pay. This includes: Medical Chapter 61, Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and Temporary Disabled Retirement List (TDRL) retirees. These new eligible components for CRSC went into effect January 1, 2008. Medical and TERA retirees must still provide documentation that shows a causal link between a current VA disability and a combat related event.

AND? must be able to provide documentary evidence that your injury was a result of one of the following:

• Training that simulates war (e.g., exercises, field training)

• Hazardous duty (e.g., flight, diving, parachute duty)

• An instrumentality of war (e.g., combat vehicles, weapons, Agent Orange)

• Armed conflict (e.g., gun shot wounds [Purple Heart], punji stick injuries) “

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/combat-related-special-compensation.html

There is more info on both CRSC and CRDP at this link.

Thanks very much! As far as possible combat related do you think this qualifies under any of those guidelines and which one? We were on patrol looking for a panga the helo had spotted, we found them they rammed our small boat which I wasn't on, shots were fired, 2 our guys knocked in the water one with massive head trauma, brought them back onboard, eventually made it back to land where he was pronounced dead.

Also put me on probation for weight gain(trying to work on it its struggle just to function) and not recommended for advancement after the incident, are those just easy way to kick me out before medboard goes through. Would I have any recourse?

my own opinion, I don't think so, but you are more entitled to submit your claim to CRSC. Remember, you have to wait until you receive your rating back from VA to submit for CRSC. The CRSC has a separate list and the evaluation for this benefit is completely different from VA.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By SteakNCheese
      Bare with me as I have done all this work myself, so if I don't have a specific answer or know an abbreviation. All I ask is you give me some time to look it up cause I am not well versed in VA lingo. 
      I completed a Higher level review (This apparently means sometimes you get a more experienced person, I explained to her all the issues I have been having and she basically said, I will send this back down so they can fix it and she said she has everything she needs to increase my Bell's Palsy which was at 0% and she changed it to 10% She told me she would have to issue me a couple more exams. They are specifically for IBS and Mental Health. 
      The exam package from QTC for the Psychology exam does not mention a specific condition. (This would be my third mental health exam) The initial application was in 2019 and included depression and anxiety. I submitted a 2900-0659 as my stressor.  The second exam from qtc came back and said "PTSD with ADHD" so my claim for "PTSD" was denied. On the latest Denial letter, I have the following line items.
      Depression,anxiety and sleep problems (listed as one condition)
      Post traumatic stress disorder with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, predominantly inattentive type. (VA Doctor thinks I must have seen a child psychologist cause he said and I quote "That's the most insane diagnosis I've ever heard of) 
      The QTC package for IBS is with a nurse practitioner at a clinic in town. 
      So is the duty to assist for all of my conditions   based on the fact that the previous examiners did not do there job? 

• By bionoce
      Has anyone ever tried the stellate ganglion block treatment for PTSD and how did you go about getting it through the VA? Pill medications and medical marijuana do not work for me and am looking for alternatives.
    • By FacingOdds
      Hello, I'm new here but have read through many posts. I posed this question under a different area not knowing there was a specific area for PTSD/MST cases. Anyway I put in several claims for increase & a new one for PTSD due to MST. I've had exams for everything but the PTSD. When I contacted the VA to inquire if I would be scheduled for one. They stated that reviewing chart records & other evidence no exam was needed. Has anyone had a good outcome without a C&P exam for PTSD? I'm currently at 50% for MDD & anxiety. However, recently VA doctors have said it's a misdiagnosis & changed it to PTSD. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks 
    • By Sgt. Wilky
      I had a C&P exam this morning that went two whole hours and then some, with a mental health professional via video conference from the Cheyenne VA. She was very nice and seemed to be thorough. She confirmed what I already knew, and that was that I had PTSD, for which I have been rated 50% since 2015. Anyway, I learned that although my symptoms have gotten worse, that since I struggled to keep my job of 18 years and having not been fired multiple times throughout my "career", and since I wasn't a complete turd to my employer and to their customers, and I rarely showed up late to work and since I didn't hassle my coworkers and behave inappropriately, and since I didn't get so angry that I hit my spouse or beat my kids (despite the fact I stated quite clearly [and my wife confirmed] that I've ruined my relationship with my oldest son), and since I can brush my teeth on my own that I "probably" wouldn't qualify for the 70% requested increase.
      So, I found out that if I had put my employer and my family through the proverbial wringer and I didn't cost them a bunch of money, and since that I haven't yet ruined my reputation in the neighborhood or at my church, and since that I was proactive to the point that the pain made it unbearable to work anymore, so I quit, rather than force them to fire me, I can't get the help that I need. I've been fighting the VA since 2008. I'm tired.
      Awesome.
      Sgt. Wilky
    • By Sgt. Wilky
      Good Afternoon All,
      I have a PTSD claim for increase tomorrow via video conference. I know that if you went in person, they wouldn't let your spouse or SO in with you. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the video conference exam. My wife is going to be sitting next to me when the conference begins and it will be curious to see if they ask her to leave the room. I saw a video from Attorney Chris Attig that suggested it may be beneficial to an impending appeal (if the claim is denied), if the evidence of the record suggests or shows that the spouse was asked to wait outside and that the lay evidence is extremely important to the claim. At my C&P exam in 2015, they said I had to come alone, but I was granted at 50%.
      Sgt. Wilky
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

406%
    $6,103.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines