VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc L, R, Or S?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

meg this new benefit is ONLY for veterans who entered the military after 9/11/01 veterans from peace time, Desert Storm, Vietnam, Vietnam Era, Panama, Korean War and WW2 do not qualify for this benefit at the most we get SMC L which is where my level is now my wife has been turned into a full time aide and caretaker, it's either that or put me in a nursing home, and that is not acceptable to either one of us, I was getting SMC S before I filed the A&A claim and they granted it, it adds about 300 extra a month, better than nothing but it does not replace a paycheck she did it without the A&A since they found me disabled back in Oct 2002 we did not file for A&A until Dec 2011 when I became wheel chair bound or bed ridden, I spend a lot of time in ICU units due to CHF now and it is rough on her, she is obviously here because of love it sure isn't for the extra 300 a month.

having a two tier benefit system is wrong, the vet agencies all agreed to it, I guess hoping they would be able to later ask to make us all eligible for the newer benefits, but with all this austerity calls I don't see it while I am alive, if ever.

You are to file for SMC S and SMC L. L is the rate for aid and attendance.

File it now and get your Doc to write a statement that your wife is administering the Fluid bags with your infusion.

She is a very strong woman for doing this. My mother lifted the baxter boxes for my father whe he was on Home dialysis. He did his at night though.

Good luck and hang in there.

J

Thanks, J. I've already got a statement from my doctor stating that my wife is assisting me with my dialysis treatments.

Congress has recently approved funds for those taking care of disabled veterans. This is different from aid & attendance. This is for a caregiver. Call 1-877-222-8387 these folks are the individuals that are running the program. call, and they will assist you with the application procedures.

I have helped a few spouses obtain this benefit from them. it's a great benefit and one that's surely overdue to those assisting our wounded veterans.

Has this become available for veterans who served before 9/11/2001? I served during the 70's.

• HadIt.com Elder

http://www.caregiver.va.gov/support_benefits.asp http://www.caregiver.va.gov/

Who Is Eligible?

• Veterans eligible for this program are those who sustained a serious injury – including traumatic brain injury, psychological trauma or other mental disorder – incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, on or after September 11, 2001.
  • Veterans eligible for this program must also be in need of personal care services because of an inability to perform one or more activities of daily living and/or need supervision or protection based on symptoms or residuals of neurological impairment or injury.
  • To be eligible for the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers, Veterans must first be enrolled for VA health services, if not enrolled previously.

Services Available to Family Caregivers through this Program

The law will provide additional assistance to primary Family Caregivers of eligible post-9/11 Veterans and Servicemembers. Services for this group include:

• Monthly stipend
  • Travel expenses (including lodging and per diem while accompanying Veterans undergoing care)
  • Access to health care insurance (if the Caregiver is not already entitled to care or services under a health care plan)
  • Mental health services and counseling
  • Comprehensive VA Caregiver training provided by Easter Seals
  • Respite care (not less than 30 days per year)

If you think you fit the criteria for these services, please follow the link to answer some preliminary questions and download an application.

The application enables Veterans to designate one primary Family Caregiver and up to two secondary Family Caregivers, if desired. Caregiver Support Coordinators are available at every VA Medical Center to assist Veterans and their Family Caregivers with the application process. To find your Caregiver Support Coordinator, visit the Help Near Home page. Additional application assistance is available at 1-877-222 VETS (8387).

Like I stated above they have created a two tier compensation issue and it will cause a lot of heartburn think of all of the WW2 veterans whose spouses have been taking care of them for years rather than put them in a nursing home, my own wife has been a full time care giver since June 2002 we just started getting the regular A&A in Dec 2011 I should have filed for it earlier at least April 2011 when that heart attack damaged my heart to the point I now have an ejection fraction of 10% and can no longer walk and am either in bed or a wheelchair I am glad that congress did approve caregiver funds but they should have done it for all veterans and families that need a full time caregiver regardless of when they served. You should be eligible for SMCL but that means someone basically has to do everything for you or assist you in doing it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco

I had to file a CUE to get my "S". I got it via Bradley v Peake. Others here in more or less the same situation were denied "S".

I think VSO's are just ignorant about these things.

• HadIt.com Elder

UE is clear and Unmistakeable Error.

It is a weapon used by claimants when the VA makes a legal error and causes the veteran harm. (Cost you money)

A cue an be filed on a finally decided claim.

You can also ask the VA to CUE itself if you see one in the making but they usually laugh at it.

J