VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do You Go About Asking For A Va Dr To Write You A Letter?

Rate this question

ammodad

Question

hello brother and sisters its me again its good to see you al still here and its good to be seen ...

how do you go about gtting your va dr to write that letter he has know problem telling you how and whyyour illbut how do you get him to put it on paper most will tell you they cant conflict of interest or whatever reason whatsthe perfext way t get it on paper????????????????

Edited by ammodad

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I agree it would be better if the doctor would support the opinion with some rationale. If he will, that would be nice. If not, and that is the best letter he can give you, you can try to find some articles that show his opinion was based on sound medical principles. That is not near as good as him reporting the principles, but it is better than nothing.

The advice here is right on the mark from Carlie and Free Spirit , Ammodad.

I had superb articles on sound medical principles for my DMII AO claim, but VA, right from the git go stated I had only supplied some' internet articles' as evidence ( they completely ignored everything else) and they never ever considered the internet stuff at all.

That is what we mean by providing a full medical rationale.The IMO doc has to medically service connect the secondarys you are claiming with medical facts from the med recs, supported by their medical experience, and it helps a lot when a doctor throws in some good medical abstracts or references.

Dr. Bash,for this claim, used the top notch cardio text in America (Braunwald) and only needed a few quotes from it. VA was very familiar with Braunwald,because it is part of the Harrison's Principles texts that they used to develop the AO IHD regs.

Also part of that medical rationale is when the IMO doctor can state that their specialty and/or training has enhanced their expertise in the specific field (s) of the disability.

In my IMos Dr BAsh (who is not an endocrinologist or cardiologist,but was opining on a DMII claim) stated, as a NeuroRadiologist, he had read and assessed the X Rays and MRIs of 'thousand's ' of diabetic veterans, and thus his opinion was very valid as compared to the VA Endocrinologist's opinion.

It helps too, to give the IMO doc any results of any C & P exams that denied the claim.

My IMO doc clearly told the VA that the C & P examiner's statements in the SSOC were medically "inacccurate". and told them why.

It is far better to get an IMO that conforms to the IMO criteria here at hadit in our IMO forum, then to have it rejected as either too speculative, or

capable of being easily tore apart by the VA. Because if it doesnt contain a solid medical rationale, the VA C & P docs can say anything they like.

Remember the VA owns the scale of Relative Equipoise.

An IMO does not have to be lengthy,in most cases, or too detailed.

It just has to even the scale, with a valid rationale,supported by medical principles, and written by a doc whose credentials either are comparable to or completely outweigh the C & P docs.

When I got a remand for a VA cardio opinion from the BVA I jumped for joy!

A real cardio doc would have got it right away.

Instead I got a PA opinion. I knocked it down myself as it was too speculative and the opiner had little knowledge of cardiology or endocrinology.. BVA agreed and disregarded it.

I had 3 IMos for and 2 VA Endocrinology opinions against the claim. I had tipped the scale.

It isnt fair,I know.

These VA C & P docs are the same ones who medically treat veterans.

I often wonder how they can sometimes come up with ridiculous medical rationales to deny claims and then maybe later the same day ,properly diagnose and treat a few veterans for a serious disability,using their expertise and medical rationale.....

The IMO criteria (Carlie added the key wording it needs to have) I based on Dr Bash's IMos for me.

He is a former VA doctor and knew exactly what VA needs ( and what they will use to get out of granting a claim)

Sorry for this long post, I keep repeating myself a lot here on the issue of IMOs and how a doctor needs to prepare them.

Because it is often the only way many of us will ever get a fair shake from the VA.

One more thought....etiology.........etiology..........etiology......

The "etiology" or reason or cause for a disability is something the VA likes to play around with. Many here know exactly what I mean.

A good IMO doc can often easily overcome some VA BS that the veteran has such and such disability because of their post service occupation of.,...........,or some other crap such as 'although the veteran was Infantry -Vietnam, he was an avid hunter post service, and this is the etiology of his hearing loss, or she has diabetes because she is overweight. stuff like that

Edited by Berta