VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Squeaky Wheel Advice

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

Hi All,

I know that there is the 800# for asking claim status with the RO. I also know about the IRIS e-mail system, which is currently not working / or does not work for the Oakland RO. Is there any other email or internet "claim status" web site out there?

Also, does anyone think that calling the RO 800# does any good in checking on your claim. By calling is there a notation or anything put in the file that says the claimaint called to check on the status?

I read about people talking to the claims people ( but do these people who answer the phone have anything to do with the claim or are they just answering the 800# phone calls and looking in the computer to the last post made by a claims worker?

What advice out there to people about becoming the squeaky wheel to get their claim off of the shelve or floor and on to someones desk for rating?

Jangrin :o

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jangrin

Yes, I think checking on the status of your claim via the 800 number can help. I like to ask if the VA is waiting for anything ,or if the VA has all the paperwork they need to rate my claim. I think it is good to keep checking. Also, of course, it is good to go and look at your C-File, and talk to a human about your claim. You want to be sure that your C-File does not get shipped off somewhere by mistake. It almost happened to me, and I just avoided having my claim sent to the BVA and not having my DRO Hearing. Your claim, which is of vast importance to you, is just another batch of paperwork to some VA employee. The main thing with checking on your claim is to make sure it is still on track. The VA is hardly ever going to tell you why you claim is sitting there gathering dust unless you ask. The VA held up my TDIU while waiting for confirmation from the Office of Personnel Management of my last day at work at the post office. This could have taken months or years if left to the VA or the OPM. I went and got the information myself and brought it to the VA myself thus knocking off a lot of time for the VA to rate my claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jann:

I think that if you are able a visit to the RO to meet with a Counselor and review your "C" File is often a big help. I have seen it work several times because you have the opportunity to see what is going on, ask questions and even point out problems that can be fixed.

Every time I have sat across the table from a VA person something positive has come out of it.

You can call the 800 827 1000 number and ask for an appointment to see a VARO Counselor.

Guest jangrin

Thanks John,

I finally got on the internet today and checked out the VARO office info. We live about 5 hours from the RO in Oakland, Ca. Can you make an appt. to look at the cfile or do you go and first come first serve? ALso, I noticed that at the Oakland RO website they say that there is a satilite office in Sacramento which is only 2 1/2 hours from us. Could the file be at the satilite office? anyone have any experience dealing with a satilite office?

I must have been typing when pete was posting the questions & answers seem out of sequence.????

maybe we posted at the same time and pete won. hehe

Edited by jangrin

Guest jangrin
Jann:

I think that if you are able a visit to the RO to meet with a Counselor and review your "C" File is often a big help. I have seen it work several times because you have the opportunity to see what is going on, ask questions and even point out problems that can be fixed.

Every time I have sat across the table from a VA person something positive has come out of it.

You can call the 800 827 1000 number and ask for an appointment to see a VARO Counselor.

THANKS Pete,

Thats what we need to do. We can make the appt. and smile alot. Thats should help things along. I really want to go and see what is in the cfile. We live so far away that it would be a drag if we couldn't get to see the file or talk to someone. It is a major trip for us to do this. My husband has a hard time riding in the car so 5 hours is a big deal.

Thanks again,

Jan

Are you able to get copies of your C-file when you are there? Or copies of parts of it?

Free

THANKS Pete,

Thats what we need to do. We can make the appt. and smile alot. Thats should help things along. I really want to go and see what is in the cfile. We live so far away that it would be a drag if we couldn't get to see the file or talk to someone. It is a major trip for us to do this. My husband has a hard time riding in the car so 5 hours is a big deal.

Thanks again,

Jan

Guest jangrin

Hi Free,

It's my understanding that you can get copies of the cfile when your there. However, I think when I make the appointment I will let them know that I want a copy of the cfile when the appt is finished. I can't imagine they would be real pleased about making copies on the spot without notice. It might be better to try and give them a "heads up".

I'll let you know after I talk to them on Monday.

Are you able to get copies of your C-file when you are there? Or copies of parts of it?

Free