VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Eating Disorders

Rate this question

goofycow

Question

I recently heard a rumor that VA now recognizes eating disorders. Or was I just high on dark chocolate M & Ms? The reason I ask is I underwent 6 weeks of in-patient treatment for eating disorders when on active duty in the Navy, not to mention years of counseling for weight control. Being female, I was blessed with child bearing hips and other woman type body inperfections, played hell on me when the miliutary started getting serious about physical fitness & body mass index :o

Anyway, every time I go to mental health lately they harp on my weight. I tell them I have an eating disorder & they look at me like I have grown a 3rd eyeball in my forehead. The only treatment option they offer is regular visits with a dietitian who also acts like eating disorders are in the same class as flying saucers. Any advice on what to do?

I am also having a very hard time locating any records on my in-patient eating disorders. I have already contacted NARA & asked for in-patient records....they can't find them.

Liz

4 answers to this question

Liz here is the C & P for eating disorders:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm16.htm

This is a BVA grant for an SC eating disorder but a denial for migraine-

DUH!

http://www.va.gov/vetapp00/files3/0025185.txt

Hope they re-opened-

"Entitlement to service connection for an eating disorder, not

otherwise specified, is granted.

A well-grounded claim not having been submitted, the

veteran's claim of entitlement to service connection for a

headache disorder is denied. "

Bertha:

Thanks for the links. I'm sure I can build a case for service connection but finding a good service officer will be challenging to say the least. :o I live in Arkansas & so far i get the impression that female veterans are not thought of highly here....oh well. i get so annoyed when they harp on my weight and all VA does is schedule me with a diettician & give me handouts. My problem now is my weight is 245 and I am only 5'9". That makes me too fat to even be a plus size model :P

• HadIt.com Elder
I recently heard a rumor that VA now recognizes eating disorders. Or was I just high on dark chocolate M & Ms? The reason I ask is I underwent 6 weeks of in-patient treatment for eating disorders when on active duty in the Navy, not to mention years of counseling for weight control. Being female, I was blessed with child bearing hips and other woman type body inperfections, played hell on me when the miliutary started getting serious about physical fitness & body mass index :o

Anyway, every time I go to mental health lately they harp on my weight. I tell them I have an eating disorder & they look at me like I have grown a 3rd eyeball in my forehead. The only treatment option they offer is regular visits with a dietitian who also acts like eating disorders are in the same class as flying saucers. Any advice on what to do?

I am also having a very hard time locating any records on my in-patient eating disorders. I have already contacted NARA & asked for in-patient records....they can't find them.

Liz

Goffycow,

Being in the navy also. They are pretty good about hiding records from you. Have you called the archives and told them specifically what records that you are looking for and what they pertain to. It took me 42 years, but after placing the call and telling them specifically what I needed. They searched and they did find them for me after all these years.

Hope this helps.

Josephine

Goffycow,

The problem with the VA eating disorder, and trying to get it service connected, is they don't seem to acknowledge that when you can't control; your eating habits, and get obese, that isn't a eating disorder, the only eating disorder the VA seems to recognize is when you eat, purge yourself, and are under weight. I have been trying to get this service-connected for many years as secondary to my PTSD, they won't even give me a C&P exam, just denied, that just because you are overweight, that doesn't mean you have a eating disorder. I ask them, what is then when you eat when not hungry, out of stress, boredom, or whatever, they never have a answer for me. hope you better luck then I have had.