VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cue On Poor Eye Vision And Cataracts

Rate this question

chiefhouse00

Question

Greetings

Short Version: I provided additional information last year to the VA and they recently admitted to incorrectly rating my poor eye vision and bilateral cataracts in 2000 as "Denied". The rating was changed from "denied" to "zero percent" for cataracts only and scheduled me for an eye exam on 27 Aug 06.

My military medical records is packed (1970 - 1999) with eye related problems but the VA selectively highlighted the cataracts and ommitted the floaters, dry eyes, and blurred vision problems when they recently reverse the ratiing decision from denied to zero precent.

Should I continue to persue this issue?

Best Regards

Chiefhouse :o

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

YES!!!!!!

Use the up and coming Eye exam results to question this.

Make sure they follow the Vision C & P correctly:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm20.htm

If a DMII vet has atherosclerosis and/or Cataracts-

the association is so strong of these as secondary to DMII ---that NVLSP, on page 176-VBM 2005 - reminds advocates and claimants that M21-1 states VA HAS to SC them unless there is another PROVEN etiology, but for AO.

M21-1 Part IV Chap 11, Paragraph 11.28

The actual provision in M21-1 is so strong that it includes all peripheral and or cardiac complications as secondary to atherosclerosis- therefore as secondary to DMII- with no other etiology.

sorry no M21-1 links- have little time to post links anymore----

The VA's M21-1 is all on the net.

I've also seen where medications for SC conditions can be the etiology of early cataracts and this can be secondary SC.

Greetings

To date, no eye doctor has told me how I developed the PSC Cataracts. I've taken topical steriods for skin rashs and epidural steroid injectionss for lower back problems, and tons of other meds for asthma, high blood pressure and HCV just to name a few. I have also had eye truma and jet fuel spilled in my eyes...so it could be a number of things that could have caused the cataracts besides just getting old. Since retirement (1999), I've been seen at Walter Reed and the VAMC concerning my eyes...always got new glasses. I'm scheduled to see a C&P eye doctor on 29 August 06...I'll let you know the outcome.

Best Regards

Chiefhouse :o