VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Win

Rate this topic

adkins7b

Here is my bi-polar nexus letter, I don't know why i did not receive a C P exam. Maybe because doctor said symptoms instead of bi-polar.

After reviewing medical records provided by Mr x from his time in service, it apprears to be almost a certainty that symptoms of bipolar disorder, depression, and anxiety started in 2002, during him initial time in the service, related to the increase in security and military activity following the terrorist attacks in 2001.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adkins7b stated:

The va also deteremined the oth was considered dishonorable for va purposes but i qualified under my honorable service. I do not think that i will be able to get the oth updgraded, i tried already and i think i had a year to appeal and that has passed.

VA does NOT make a decision on whether or not to upgrade your OTH period of service. You have to apply to the Military /Navy/DOD as they make that determination. Y

Yes, we at VA have seen quite a few OTH discharges upgraded to general discharge or even honorable service. When we are notified from the military that a discharge is upgraded, all doors for service connection are open to the Veteran.

VA makes Character of Discharge determinations, based on your military records. When the VA makes a Character of Discharge determination, IF the Veteran's did something while in service that is an automatic Bar to Benefits, then the Veteran would not be entitled to Compensation, and a letter is sent to the Veteran telling him the decision. But the Veteran is usually eligible for medical care for the conditions claimed even though he/she had a OTH discharge.

IF the Veteran's discharge was due to something that was NOT a Bar to Benefits, the VA will usually try to lean in the Veteran's favor, especially if the offense was due to marriage and family issues or special circumstances such a records show mental issues such as possible PTSD, depression, etc.We only decide if you are eligible for Compensation or Pension based on your existing records. The appeal period for the Character of Discharge decision for compensation benefits may be over, but there is no time limit on having your OTH discharge upgraded by the Military. If it IS upgrated then you can have your claim re-opened for compensation for that period of service previously found ineligible.

My advise for you is to get the proper forms and apply to the MILITARY to upgrade your discharge. Be honest and specific as to the circumstances surrounding what was happening at the time of the "offense(s)" that the Military gave you an OTH. Send in letters of support from family or buddies who can corraborate your situation at the time of the offense. .And send in letters of people who know you now ,who can be character references for you today. Good Luck, I do hope you can get the OTH upgraded.

yes, i applied tons of evidence.. I was still denied by board of review. If you look at my medical records, I had years of break downs. I would go on periods where I was the top guy won alot of awards, then i fell apart. I went to medical a few times over the years and I told them this. I will just wait for the BBE, to come. I don't need my oth to be upgraded, all my symptons are on my 6 year honorable period.

They put bi-polar with anxiety and depression, I am not sure why they didnt put anxiety and depression seperate.

I had both on my honorable and in 2008 they put anxiety as chronic on the SMR. I will just wait, I had all the evidence and nexus letters and have been seeing shrinks and on meds this I got out in 2010. I worked for a year then fell apart, i appolagize if i'm all over the place. Some days I can focus and i'm fine, other days I can't even get out of bed. Its one big nightmare.. When I get manic, I do crazy things.. i know with help of this site, friends and family i'll make it.

Your anxiety and depression are together becuase you can only get one rating for mental health condition, although you may have multiple mental heath diagnosis. Sometimes the doctor's can say what symptoms relate to what condition and sometimes the symptims cannot be categorized to one disability. So anyway, only one disability for mental health.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use