VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What If You Can Not Get Use To Cpap Machine

Rate this question

adkins7b

Question

I was wondering if anyone knew, what happens if you have sleep apnea but can not sleep using the cpap. I don't think the VA can lower you're rate or take it away, I actually think they should increase it because you can not get what you need to be fully rested. Always any feed back is appreciated.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a sleep study done on Friday night. I spent two hours trying to get comfortable and finally took two sleeping pills and fell into a doze. If I have to have another sleep study done I am really going to be unhappy. I have lower back trouble and cervical trouble. I have my own bed at home rigged out so I can sleep. The situation with a sleep study is that you have all this crap hanging off you. You are in unfamiliar environment. The bed may be uncomfortable like mine was. I have no idea what the results of the study will be but I bet it won't be that good because if I had not taken a pain pill and sleeping pill I would just not have slept a wink. That has happened before with the damn studies. What is the VA sleep study situation like? Is it comfortable and quite, or miserable like most hospitals? I used a private lab that my pulmonologist sent me to. I would hate to have to use the Cpap after I had the Inspire system surgery. The VA is putting the pressure on me to somehow improve my numbers with the apnea. A 60% improvement is not good enough so they threaten to take away my pain meds. I am not taking another sleep study unless they can convince me I am dying. I have had at least five of them and every one means a horrible night of tossing and turning and back pain. The treatment of OSA is really in a primitive stage for a disease that afflicts 18million people. The cpap/bipap is just an air pump. You get a mask off the rack and an air pump and this is state of the art......God, I hope not. Inspire promised a lot and I hope they deliver because I was the first in Florida to get it done on FDA approved commercial basis.

John

I did sleep labs in private and VA environments and they are fairly similar; you have to have all that gear on you in unfamilair environment regardless.

It might lessen stress to visit the VA sleep lab before night of study to get some familiarity with what you're walking into.

The term 'compliance' has always royally pissed me off; I served others for decades and now that I'm the customer I'm badgered about 'compliance'?

F&^% you!

I'll use that machine as it pleases me and I can buy the crap from China and eliminate ALL y'all from the loop :wink: