VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What If You Can Not Get Use To Cpap Machine

Rate this question

adkins7b

Question

I was wondering if anyone knew, what happens if you have sleep apnea but can not sleep using the cpap. I don't think the VA can lower you're rate or take it away, I actually think they should increase it because you can not get what you need to be fully rested. Always any feed back is appreciated.

Remember, medical "practice" is just that. A treatment that works well on me, may well not work well at all on someone else. Thats why we have docs, otherwise, we could just self treat by looking up our symptoms and have a computer determine treatment.

When I was given my Cpap I was told to try to put it on during the day while I was watching a movie or reading a book. At night I kept taking it off while I was sleep and not knowing it until I had to go to the bathroom. So I tried putting it on while watching movies and I got used to it. I can't remember waking up with it off. I still wake up tired but that may be another issue I have. It is just an idea but I would suggest that you do as others has posted and keep on trying to find a solution.

I have been using a CPAP for 6 years now. It is still a pain to use. I have headaches in the morning from it, additional wrinkers on my face, a pain to keep clean as well as the use during the night but I would not go without it. PR is right, people can die without using them. I hope you don't give up.

vet12

• HadIt.com Elder

I have an ongoing struggle with my OSA. I finally got a mask I can tolerate, but the machine still causes dry mouth. I don't think I can tolerate over 5 hours of cpap without my machine going dry or me finding the mask just too uncomfortable. I am getting better. I tried a dental device with no luck.

This is all excellent advice. Just to echo...just keep trying. I got a new machine and nasal pillows mask about a year ago and the set up is a whole lot better than the one I was issued ten years ago. It's very quiet, has a built in water resevoir to prevent the dry mouth syndrome, and is relatively comfortable...everything the original machine was not. I put it on, turn it on, and go right to sleep. And I wake up rested. Of course, all this comes from the outside, not the VA.

The impact is remarkable just like what everyone else has said above. My PVCs are a ton better. And, I actually feel rested when I wake up sometimes and don't feel the need to sleep for a couple of extra hours.

Your life is worth making this work.