VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What If You Can Not Get Use To Cpap Machine

Rate this question

adkins7b

Question

I was wondering if anyone knew, what happens if you have sleep apnea but can not sleep using the cpap. I don't think the VA can lower you're rate or take it away, I actually think they should increase it because you can not get what you need to be fully rested. Always any feed back is appreciated.

You can get a tooth paste scrip from your dentist that helps with dry mouth and you can buy mouth wash over the counter that helps to. Getting use to the equipment is not an overnight thing it takes time. I have been at it two years now and it works great.

Sleep lab at the va has been wonderful to work with. My pressure was at 25/27 when I started now have it at 15/17 working much better. Could it be your pressure is to high you may want to look into that.

Edited by 381sps

• HadIt.com Elder

I would venture to guess that many who have died in their sleep never knew they had OSA, as it is a relatively newly discovered medical disorder but is treatable now. Think about it. jmo

pr

I believe that many of the OSA deaths are a combination of sleep apnea and self medication or over medication by VA. I have been offered sleeping pills more than once and refuse them.

2008 first got it, tried tried.. i use vic vapor rub.. i told them its not going ot happen.. i have changed masked.. watch tv if i die then i die. I can't sleep with that crap on

PR is right, people can die without using them. I hope you don't give up.

vet12

Been using mine for over 7 years now; still not the most comfortable thing, but it really helps me sleep better; I would not go without it; hope you don't give up on it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe that many of the OSA deaths are a combination of sleep apnea and self medication or over medication by VA. I have been offered sleeping pills more than once and refuse them.

Id have to agree that the VA may prescribe "sleeping pills" that can be dangerous. I've had a VA PCP suggest them, even though they are contraindicated, due to my medical problems and existing medication.