VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What If You Can Not Get Use To Cpap Machine

Rate this question

adkins7b

Question

I was wondering if anyone knew, what happens if you have sleep apnea but can not sleep using the cpap. I don't think the VA can lower you're rate or take it away, I actually think they should increase it because you can not get what you need to be fully rested. Always any feed back is appreciated.

I've never cared for their term "compliance' which suggest I'm under their thumb for CPAP usage.

It's not like you're trying to get something over on them; your experience is very common and normal. Lots of folks struggle with the machine at some point.

I agree to just be honest and ask about adjustments, different mask, advice on better results.

I have switched from nasal mask to full face (mouth-breather); recently tried new generation of nasal mask and it just doesn't work for me.

Don't give up on that miracle machine! :smile:

Good point, NK, about the "compliance" term. My CPAP came from a medical supply company. When they set it up, they told me that in order for insurance to pay for it, there had to be that certain amount of documented use. Otherwise, I'd have to pay for it out of pocket. It was a motivator at first!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Even with the water reservoir, I still get dry mouth. Worst part is having TMJ and wearing the mask.

• HadIt.com Elder

CPAP, Apnia, etc. It turns out that the medicos are now saying that the CPAPs may be/are ineffective for some forms of COPD and Apnea.

That aside, I also hate the "compliance" issue. The way I look at it is totally off the wall, and has to do with blood oxygen measurements.

If it's high enough, a CPAP may help, but how much is doubtful. Sleep studies may show sleep interruptions, and so forth, but not why.

For instance, My skin has what we used to call white and blackheads, which can cause my back to itch enough to wake me up.

Then, there are muscular "twinges" that can be related to various drugs used to treat DMII and heart related problems. Those alone can cause

various secondary reactions, such as random muscle pain, itching and so forth.

Do I have sleep apnia? (I've been diagnosed with it, but I have to wonder at the accuracy of the diagnosis)

Making a VA claim for it, on top of on going claims and appeals seems to be counterproductive at this time.

Recently came across another diagnosis for my elderly father-in-law called central sleep apnea in addition to his OSA. Apparently, his central nervous system stops telling his body to breathe while he sleeps for short periods of time. There is a different machine, not a CPAP, for that.

Certainly cannot comment on what the sleep study(ies) which you had involved, but mine have always focused pretty hard on blood oxygen levels. That's because you're right...oxygen is a major factor.

However, every time your body chokes itself off so that you cannot breathe, it causes an adrenial reaction, dumping adrenaline into your blood stream. It happened so much for me that it caused arrythmias. So there is a factor in which the number of times you stop breathing by being choked off by OSA can pose a real a problem. You're not going to get the same set of problems with an constant itch waking you up at night, as irritating as that must be.

Everyone stops breathing at night some number of times and for certain periods. There is a normal and beyond that, an abnormal. Could a doctor, particularly outside of the VA, shade the potential harm of a patient being borderline in order to gain follow-on business? Sure! (VA docs get paid either way. One told me once he felt very free to just say it as it is, within reason, without the fear of hurting his practice. I ignored his diagnosis of my condition, by the way, and pursued other doctors who made more accurate diagnoses which probably saved my life.) Are each of us ultimately responsible for our health care? You bet. It's your call whether or not this is a serious problem for you, how to pursue it medically, and whether or not you want to trouble the VBA system and yourself with another claim.

My best recommendation is to seek out a doctor you can trust to look at the potential condition for you more closely for a second opinion, even if you have to pay for it. You may also want to take a copy of the report from your sleep studies and check the findings against what you can read off the internet. Reason being that OSA can screw you up big time and make conditions you already have worse. It just seems to me from your posting that you haven't got a doctor you trust.

But, by all means, don't do it because you're looking for another arrow to shoot at the VBA for disability. Do it because your life, a precious gift, is worth preserving in the best possible way.

Edited by TiredCoastie

Cpap has been my life saver. At work I suddenly felt like dead in the water. found me with moderate impairment. I got a machine from veterans and the hard plastic mask was a bear. I researched a private cpap company bought a mask out of pocket. at six months mask was worn out I went to VAMC who had issued the machine and first mask found out the mask that I was using was easy for them to get for me. There should be a catalog available for you to review. I am a side sleeper my mask is soft and the hose goes over my head not to the side. My compliance 97% or higher I am that comfortable.