VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ao Recognition

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Chances are good most surviving vets will die from AO related conditions. I think we should get some official recognition. 58,000 died in Vietnam and over a million have and/or will die from AO. We are not on any Wall. We don't have a decoration (Orange Heart). Just because our own government killed us does it make our sacrifice any less significant?

John

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

You are very right. My draft number was 39 out of 79 called in Virginia in 1969. I would still have gone as 11B cannon fodder but simply elected to enlist in the AF sooner. Why walk when you can fly, right? Levity aside, I simply don't see anything to be gained by everyone getting a piece of paper saying they brushed their teeth with 2,4 D, 2,4, 5 T toothpaste. A lot of trees will be sacrificed on that throne. I'm not a tree hugger but it seems it would cheapen an award that is handed out like Mardi Gras necklaces 45 years late. I still have an ax to grind with VFW over their refusal to admit V- Vets in the 70s because Vietnam was a "conflict- not a war." Worry more about the fact that the IHO intends to shut down research on any new AO diseases in 2015. Period. We are yesterday's news. A footnote in History.

post-12899-0-02854300-1375741635_thumb.j

• HadIt.com Elder

VA and government may be shutting research on AO diseases because they know they will discover it is even worse than we thought. I think we can agree to disagree on recognition for those suffering from AO disabilities. I think any attention we can get will keep the issue alive and that may keep some of us alive. Most RVN vets have not gotten AO exam and don't even use the VA for anything.

I agree with both of you, It wasn't until 2 years ago I heard about PTSD and AO. I am now in care for both. I am rated 50% for PTSD and so no rating for AO. Also I was drafted as well, and served my country and now my country needs to serve me. The very first time I went to the VA to apply for benefits,the first time, the first question was how much money do you make? I replied, hmmm, I don't remember being asked that question when I was sent to VN. I HAVE NEVER BEEN ASKED THAT QUESTION AGAIN.