VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Which Vet Association

Rate this question

kidbunch

Question

Hello I am a disabled Gulf War Veteran who is trying to decide which Veteran Advocate association is recommended in support of my claim with the VA concerning a claim for a service connected disability in the 1991 Gulf War? I am currently utilizing the VFW here in NW Florida to represent me when dealing with the VA. I have become very disappointed with their service. The VFW here only contacts the VA after I request from them an update on my claim. Their office, the VFW, has told me verbally several times that want me to never call the VA directly. But when I request an update from them also asking if they had called the VA they say they have no update and that have not called the VA. This does not sound right to me. I have strongly informed the VFW that my medical situation worsens by the day. It has become where I will be losing my employment very soon and being the father of 3 young children I see my ability to provide future financial support to be in jeopardy. The VFW's answer is we will look into it. They then request me to meet with them. I have done this several times over the past 6 months and when I do meet with them they have nothing new to discuss. Plus I have to take time off work to be there. I have asked them to tell me over the phone and through e-mail what will be the subject of the upcoming meeting. They always say it cannot be discussed over the phone. Then at the meeting there is nothing new to discuss. It is a waste of my time. I feel the VFW is only trying :o to justify their existence thus collect Veteran's dues. I am open to ideas.

Thanks

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Your best bet my friend is to research USC Title 38, Chapter 1, Part 4. As your peruse it make notes on things you remember happened to/with you during your service time, make note of teh sub-paragraph you found. Then go thru your service medical record making notes of dates and events, make copies of the significant pages relating to diseases and injuries. Then go back to Part 4 and write up your findings.

After this thorough review, submit a "statement in support of claim" with all of your supporting writings and copies. You may either do it in letter format or you could go onto the www.vba.va.gov web-site and download/print the VA's form for doing it.

If I've learned nothing else in the service and with fighting the VA, no one is going to take as good a care of you than you. Knowledge is power, empower yourself. Another note that I learned from a friend, never, ever tell the VA to forward your claim to the BVA. You look at 2-7 years of waiting and wasted time, always just requested that the local rating officer do it. Any time they send you a piece of paper you do not agree with, send them a "Notice of Disagreement" just as soon as you're able with supporting documentation as to why you feel they are wrong.

• HadIt.com Elder

You should check out a cfew and join one if you think it will help. There is no requirement to join a Vet Group to get help. I personally like the Viet Nam Veterans of America and PPV. VVA will also represent you all the way and hire lawyers if it goes past BVA.

However, your claim is absolutely your baby and in fact you should make all decisions about how it is handled.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that the VVA would be good for Vietnam vets especially AO claims. I am a member. Your claim is your baby and you need to do the leg work to win it. Be proactive and attack at every opportunity. Go at them from evey angle and just put it in your mind that you are going to win your claim, regardless of what anyone says. Where there is a will their is a way. If you can't go in the door , go in the window. I know I sound like George Patton on prozac but a posistive and determined attitude helps a lot.

• HadIt.com Elder

Check out the National Veterans Organization of America at www.nvo.org, They are a relatively small veterans organization, but seem to be really on the ball. Their website is full of very good information.

Vike 17

I have had sucess with the Disabled American Veterns (DAV) service organization.

If you are in Pensacola, FL, Ann Heart (DAV rep) at the Vet Center is very good.