VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asthma C&p Re-Exam Inquiry With Past (Negative) Pft Results.

Rate this question

jayodizzle

Question

I have a schedule for the Regional office after I take my breathing test, that's why I was thinking of asking the rater not the examiner I should have been clear with that. Well, the thing was I had a breathing test before and this was done prior to my discharge in the military and that's all they needed when I applied for compensation the first time. So after 6 months that time, they gave me an approval and initially gave me 60% with matching depression which was included as 30%. Then my breathing test came out normal but the fact I was using cortisteroid inhalers/medicines and my documented emergency hospitalization qualified me for a disability and my record did indicate I had asthma that made me discharged from the service.
Though after 2 months of my award, they gave me a change in my rating to 100% for they have a clear and unmistaking error that says
they found on the record that i was affiliated with OEF/OIF/ Gulf war. all my deployments afterall are in oman, horn of africa, and gulf of aden.
*As of now, I am really controlling my asthma with medicines and to tell you honestly, I feel a lot better now than before when I got out from the service. That's the whole reason why I never had to go to the VA medical for check up because I just kept following up with my medicines. Like I said also, I haven't run out on inhalers yet and I went to an outside pharmacy to get one inhaler (one time) because I forgot to bring one when I was having a long trip.
I have not received any appointment check up til now from the VA for the asthma that I have. But my medication lasted me atleast this year from my separation (my former command was so kind to give me their supply of albuterol) and just one left for symbicort.
So can I tell that also to the VA rater/examiner who's gonna check me for my health? it's just that I haven't gone check with them because after my award, they did not direct me anything else. No doctor or what needs to be done next for my asthma. Just the funds that they gave me for compensation (I used it to buy medicines too).
So long story short, I'm going to the breathing test, get to the RO for another C&P test with my above statement on my sleeve.
So I was thinking, what if my breathing test was normal again? I was thinking of giving them the medicine and record that I still do use inhalers and medicines to CONTROL my asthma?
Would those suffice for me to retain my 100% rating? or should I just tell them honestly that I'm controlling it with medications and that makes my condition better? (risk of losing the 100%)
Thank you for the support my fellow veterans.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you still use these:( requires daily use of systemic (oral or parenteral) high dose corticosteroids or immuno-suppressive medications)

If you do then they cannot reduce you.

If not they have the right to reduce your rating to the disability rating that proximates your current level of disability.

Remember Asthma is not constant you have attacks.

J

acutally yes, I'm still using symbicort when I have symptoms of an offset of asthma, then albuterol if I have to do something strenous (prep) activity and also they gave me before a naproxene for pain in the chest when I actually have an attack which is I would say very rare because like I always follow up with my meds even before it becomes an emergency.

is it ok though if I used my meds from my last service? because I haven't had supply yet from the VA because I still have a lot of inhalers and meds?

Thank you for the reply :)

what is asthma regs location? I have seen that the 60% for asthma is for intermittent use of corticosteroid regardless of the PFT. (it says OR) But just a question though, I had that rating also before when they first gave me an award... but then a few months later on they gave me another change of the award to 100% due to my OIF/OEF gulf war. (I was stationed in horn of africa and oman and gulf of aden for my deployments).

Do they still deduct on that?

Thank you for the kind reply.

• HadIt.com Elder

They will establish a date based on a medical exam as the date or the reduction.

Do you have any related conditions to the Asthma?

J