VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused And Could Use Some Tips And Advice

Rate this question

LongTooth

Question

Hi,

I have recently started the claims process with the VA (I filed an informal claim on 04-Sept-2013

I see a private therapist and have a current diagnosis of PTSD, Bipolar II, poly substance abuse.

My therapist agrees with me that my disorders are SC

I've taken the initiative already to get copies of my DD214 as well as my private medical records. Currently I'm trying to track down my records from when I was placed on a 72 hr hold in a psych ward in 2000.

My prescribing Psychologist, who puts in time at the practice I go to, is also a VA doc.

I guess my question is this. If my therapist tells me that they have diagnosed me with the above disorders does that mean that my Psychologist (the VA doc) had to have signed off on the diagnosis and if so does this mean that I should have an easier time with the VA?

I'm also concerned that I may have to track down treatment records from the Army (I assume those would be in my DD214?) Where would I look for any SMR's that I may need? I also wonder if maybe I should try and track down any relevant records from my old Unit to show things such as an Article 15 and any evaluations done that would show the onset of my conditions.

Also if anybody could advise me of what else I should be doing at this early stage to present an effective claim please feel free to advise me.

Thank you in advance for any and all help

Jason

Best advice is to seek treatment NOW at the VA..add to your paper trail..The VA psy will write his statements and it will be part of your claim paperwork..VA likes to see you working with them, seeking treatment, getting help and the like..I would gather anything you may have in terms of medical records and anything eles now

There is also, in my case, a history of sexual abuse as a child. I'm concerned that the VA will try and pawn off my symptoms as being a product of that and not the trauma suffered in service. This history is all over my private mental health records so I know the VA will see it. So I assume I should be as forthcoming as possible with the VA personnel? Or should I handle it a different way.

Jason

If I am correct. They have been instructed not to ask questions reference family upbringing and to focus on service connector stressors. Before, this was causing issues with PTSD diagnoses. My first exam included family history and they opinion end that I was depressed before enlisting and that active duty stressors worsened it. That used to be their loophole to deny or minimize claims. That taught me to NOT discuss family. Then a year later the government changed guidelines and streamlined questionnaire. First exam was several hours. second for increase was maybe 15 minutes. Hope this helps and isn't confusing.