VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused And Could Use Some Tips And Advice

Rate this question

LongTooth

Question

Hi,

I have recently started the claims process with the VA (I filed an informal claim on 04-Sept-2013

I see a private therapist and have a current diagnosis of PTSD, Bipolar II, poly substance abuse.

My therapist agrees with me that my disorders are SC

I've taken the initiative already to get copies of my DD214 as well as my private medical records. Currently I'm trying to track down my records from when I was placed on a 72 hr hold in a psych ward in 2000.

My prescribing Psychologist, who puts in time at the practice I go to, is also a VA doc.

I guess my question is this. If my therapist tells me that they have diagnosed me with the above disorders does that mean that my Psychologist (the VA doc) had to have signed off on the diagnosis and if so does this mean that I should have an easier time with the VA?

I'm also concerned that I may have to track down treatment records from the Army (I assume those would be in my DD214?) Where would I look for any SMR's that I may need? I also wonder if maybe I should try and track down any relevant records from my old Unit to show things such as an Article 15 and any evaluations done that would show the onset of my conditions.

Also if anybody could advise me of what else I should be doing at this early stage to present an effective claim please feel free to advise me.

Thank you in advance for any and all help

Jason

That is helpful Motherof3.

Wish I could get rid of this crap in my head I'm so tired of carrying this stuff around.

Also I would just tell the truth to every questioned asked.

Truth is always nice just wish people would stop distorting it

That is helpful Motherof3.

Wish I could get rid of this crap in my head I'm so tired of carrying this stuff around.

Truth is always nice just wish people would stop distorting it

Yeah you are right bro. Anything to deny. GOOOD luck.

so things get better and better, or is that worse and worse...

I think I might actually have to go and get my discharge upgraded from PD to something else and apparently I'm up against the 15 year statute of limitations for the army records review board. Depending on when my discharge date was in either 99 or 2000 (I don't recall exactly) Wish my DD214 would hurry up and get here.

I kinda went ballistic last friday once I started reading about how the military uses PD to cut you off at the knees as far as healthcare and compensation are concerned. Ended up talking to a crisis response team and a few police officers.

I'm getting some mixed signals from people. On the one hand I have the VA telling me that I can submit my DD214 to them for consideration of a waiver for healthcare not sure how it would affect a compensation claim and my psychiatrist is thinking that I should be able to get diagnosed as ptsd by the va and then be able to file a claim. I'm not sure who or what to believe.

Wish my head would stop spinning.

So I got my DD Form 214 I'm confused because it mentions nothing about personality disorder. It says I have an OTH discharge. The separating authority is 635-200 chapter 10 (I think. Looks like somebody had a toner explosion all over this form so it's very hard to make out) My separation code is KFS and my reentry code is 3

Not sure what all this means as I don't really understand "legalese" type stuff so I'm not sure where this leaves me. Can somebody offer some insight into the best way to proceed forward?

• HadIt.com Elder

So I got my DD Form 214 I'm confused because it mentions nothing about personality disorder. It says I have an OTH discharge. The separating authority is 635-200 chapter 10 (I think. Looks like somebody had a toner explosion all over this form so it's very hard to make out) My separation code is KFS and my reentry code is 3

Not sure what all this means as I don't really understand "legalese" type stuff so I'm not sure where this leaves me. Can somebody offer some insight into the best way to proceed forward?

From what I found online KFS is for good of the service - in lieu of court martial. You might try to get it upgraded, if it was caused by PTSD. jmo

pr

so things get better and better, or is that worse and worse...

I think I might actually have to go and get my discharge upgraded from PD to something else and apparently I'm up against the 15 year statute of limitations for the army records review board. Depending on when my discharge date was in either 99 or 2000 (I don't recall exactly) Wish my DD214 would hurry up and get here.

I kinda went ballistic last friday once I started reading about how the military uses PD to cut you off at the knees as far as healthcare and compensation are concerned. Ended up talking to a crisis response team and a few police officers.

I'm getting some mixed signals from people. On the one hand I have the VA telling me that I can submit my DD214 to them for consideration of a waiver for healthcare not sure how it would affect a compensation claim and my psychiatrist is thinking that I should be able to get diagnosed as ptsd by the va and then be able to file a claim. I'm not sure who or what to believe.

Wish my head would stop spinning.

You need to fill out a dd form 293 for upgrade. What the hospital is talking about is a possibility to treat anything that is determined causes or aggravated in service.

38 cfr 3.360

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.360

38cfr 3.12

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.12

If you apply for benefits through the regional office they will need to do a character of discharge determination using the above regs. If one has already been done by the RO then your fight will be with DOD and the above dd form 293 mentioned. Jmho