VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused And Could Use Some Tips And Advice

Rate this question

LongTooth

Question

Hi,

I have recently started the claims process with the VA (I filed an informal claim on 04-Sept-2013

I see a private therapist and have a current diagnosis of PTSD, Bipolar II, poly substance abuse.

My therapist agrees with me that my disorders are SC

I've taken the initiative already to get copies of my DD214 as well as my private medical records. Currently I'm trying to track down my records from when I was placed on a 72 hr hold in a psych ward in 2000.

My prescribing Psychologist, who puts in time at the practice I go to, is also a VA doc.

I guess my question is this. If my therapist tells me that they have diagnosed me with the above disorders does that mean that my Psychologist (the VA doc) had to have signed off on the diagnosis and if so does this mean that I should have an easier time with the VA?

I'm also concerned that I may have to track down treatment records from the Army (I assume those would be in my DD214?) Where would I look for any SMR's that I may need? I also wonder if maybe I should try and track down any relevant records from my old Unit to show things such as an Article 15 and any evaluations done that would show the onset of my conditions.

Also if anybody could advise me of what else I should be doing at this early stage to present an effective claim please feel free to advise me.

Thank you in advance for any and all help

Jason

I checked those and honestly I don't think either one applies to me. I didn't have a pattern of willful misconduct and I also didn't go awol for 180 days. I think I can attribute the AWOL to PTSD and having a psychotic break of some kind. Hope the powers that be see it that way.

The ones I mostly see are 3.12©(6) and 3.12 (d)(4).

Do you see a lot of discharges and if so what do you do for a living???

Not to play devils advocate, just showing you where they may be coming from, but being AWOL more than one day proves a pattern of willful misconduct. Also, most veterans separated under OTH are given a mental exam or seen by docs to prove sanity was not an issue. When you get your records check and see, and again requesting a personal hearing with the person doing the cod may be advantageous. Jmho

I wish I could prove that I was denied treatment by my Section Chief when I initially sought help...guess that's not something you put in an official report.

I don't mind devils advocates it helps me to see the angles they may try and come at me from. I guess what I'm hoping for is that they see the root cause as being PTSD and everything else that follows as a result of that illness.

I was seen by somebody after my first awol which is where the PD diagnosis came from. I also recall writing a letter stating my frame of mind at the time wonder where that may have gotten to...

Oh also while I have you on the line. I got my Discharge Certificate but I was actually looking for my complete jacket is there an official name for that so I can request it from the Nat. Archives?

Much obliged

Check the second box under dd214 request. That would be my best guess. Also uou can use the ither and specify what you want. I just know the va will request what is called the facts and circumstances through their program. If you go to the va for a hearing you might also be able to request the evidence while you are there.

http://www.archives.gov/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf

DD Form 214 or equivalent. When was the DD Form(s) 214 issued? YEAR(S): ___________________________________________________

If more than one period of service was performed, even in the same branch, there may be more than one DD214.

This form contains information normally needed to verify military service. A copy may be sent to the veteran, the deceased veterans next of kin, or other persons or organizations if authorized in Section III, below. An UNDELETED DD214 is ordinarily required to determine eligibility for benefits. Sensitive items, such as, the character of separation, authority for separation, reason for separation, reenlistment eligibility code, separation (SPD/SPN) code, and dates of time lost are usually shown.

An undeleted copy will be sent unless you specify a deleted copy. Indicate here if you want a deleted copy of the DD Form 214 . .

The following items are deleted: authority for separation, reason for separation, reenlistment eligibility code, separation (SPD/SPN) code, and for separations after June 30, 1979, character of separation and dates of time lost.

All Documents in Official Military Personnel File (OMPF)

Medical Records (Includes Service Treatment Records, Health (outpatient) and dental records.) If hospitalized (inpatient), the facility name and

date for each admission must be provided: _________________________________________________________________________________

Other (Specify):

2. PURPOSE: (An explanation of the purpose of the request is strictly voluntary; however, such information may help to provide the best possible

response and may result in a faster reply. Information provided will in no way be used to make a decision to deny the request.) Check appropriate box: Benefits Employment VA Loan Programs Medical Genealogy Correction Personal Other, explain:

Edited by T8r

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you want your DA form 20, which shows everything, including schools, entry test scores, dates of rank, Article 15's & court martials, reassignments, duty stations, physical and discharge exams, sick calls, etc., etc. I think it was or is still called a 201 file. You should also ask for an updated DD-215.

pr