VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused And Could Use Some Tips And Advice

Rate this question

LongTooth

Question

Hi,

I have recently started the claims process with the VA (I filed an informal claim on 04-Sept-2013

I see a private therapist and have a current diagnosis of PTSD, Bipolar II, poly substance abuse.

My therapist agrees with me that my disorders are SC

I've taken the initiative already to get copies of my DD214 as well as my private medical records. Currently I'm trying to track down my records from when I was placed on a 72 hr hold in a psych ward in 2000.

My prescribing Psychologist, who puts in time at the practice I go to, is also a VA doc.

I guess my question is this. If my therapist tells me that they have diagnosed me with the above disorders does that mean that my Psychologist (the VA doc) had to have signed off on the diagnosis and if so does this mean that I should have an easier time with the VA?

I'm also concerned that I may have to track down treatment records from the Army (I assume those would be in my DD214?) Where would I look for any SMR's that I may need? I also wonder if maybe I should try and track down any relevant records from my old Unit to show things such as an Article 15 and any evaluations done that would show the onset of my conditions.

Also if anybody could advise me of what else I should be doing at this early stage to present an effective claim please feel free to advise me.

Thank you in advance for any and all help

Jason

not to be rude or anything but maybe you could start your own thread instead of hijacking mine yeah?

The new members posts have been split off into a new topic.

Many are not familiar with how forums work.

Years ago I came barreling thru so many topic and threads, it took me a while

to catch onto how things work.

You need to fill out a dd form 293 for upgrade. What the hospital is talking about is a possibility to treat anything that is determined causes or aggravated in service.

38 cfr 3.360

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.360

38cfr 3.12

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.12

If you apply for benefits through the regional office they will need to do a character of discharge determination using the above regs. If one has already been done by the RO then your fight will be with DOD and the above dd form 293 mentioned. Jmho

So I assume that this is only for health care and not for compensation? Also will they only treat me for PTSD or can I use the VA for any other medical issues I have?

The RO has to make a decision first before healthcare or service connection can be addressed. And if the hold you out of the system they have to make a decision on healthcare and what you may be entitled to.

Edited by T8r

LongTooth.....I'm going through the exact same thing with the VA right now. I actually had an appointment with MH at the VA last week and they gave me meds for sleeping and PTSD. A few days after going to the VA Hospital I got a call from them stating I am not eligible for VA health care and I would be getting a bill. I filled out the DD form 293 last month to try and get my OTH upgraded so I can get VA Healthcare but its a waiting process. I submitted a VA compensation claim back in Nov 2012 but I haven't heard anything back from that, let alone a C&P exam.