Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Metal Fragment Found During Todays Mri Scan Now What?

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

Need suggestions on how to proceed.

Today I had a MRI scan of my head because of a sudden (although minor) hearing loss in my left ear. They are checking for a growth on any ear nerves, etc.

Before the scan, they asked me about any metal in my body and all of the usual MRI questions. I did not have any that I knew of.

So, they start the scan and then stop it and the tech comes in the room and removes me from the tunnel and says I have a small piece of metal in my fore head. I asked him if it was above my left eye and he said that it was. I pointed to a small bump on my forehead and he said, yes there.

When I was in Iraq in 03, one day, I found a very small bump on my forehead that was leaking a small amount of clear fluid. It would scab over and I would pick it and it would leak and scab over. I went to the battalion aid station, which was commanded by an E5 medic at the time, who didn't know what to do so he took me to the South Koreans who where at our base treating local nationals. The doctor there poked at my face and said it was acne or a pimple. I have all of the sick slips and medical notes, from the South Koreans as well.

When I got out in 2008, I added it to my claim as it was still leaking and scabbing, etc. At the C&P, the NP looked at it and asked if it hurt and I said no. I told her it leaks and scabs, etc... Anyway, I was denied, "Service connection for facial skin condition is denied". They talk of acne in the reasons.

So, now I know it's not acne, but a small piece of metal (definitely metal, they showed me on my MRI) in my forehead.

I plan to see a dermatologist and get it removed and the surrounding area checked out. I have insurance through my work that I met the deductable a long time ago so I have until the end of the year at no cost to me.

However, it's not urgent (been leaking and scabbing for 10 years), how should I proceed?

I was denied in 2009, but maybe for the wrong reason??

And what to do in what order?, etc...

Thanks,

Hamslice

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

Update 2,

Today, I thought I was going to the doc to get it dug out, however, he suggested to leave it alone as it would cause to much tissue damage to cut it out as he was uncertain of the exact location as it is 5 mm deep into the skin.

He showed it to me on the x-ray and he measured it to be 1.8 mm in size. He said it I really wanted it out they would have use a needle like instrument and poke it into my head, then x-ray, measure and try to locate it that way. He suggested that if I could live with the itching, leave it alone for now.

So, I will do a claim (re-open) with new evidence as you can see it in the x-ray, and we will see what happens.

How should I approach this if I want the date to be the original denied claim from 2008??

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you ever come under fire from mortars or rockets while in Iraq? That is a possible explanation for metal fragment in your head.

ham,

I think you should wait to have it removed as it is still a

retained foreign body

and if you check out schedule for scars:

I would start taking date stamped photos of all flare ups.

7804 Scar(s), unstable or painful:
Five or more scars that are unstable or painful 30
Three or four scars that are unstable or painful 20
One or two scars that are unstable or painful 10
Note (1):An unstable scar is one where, for any reason, there is frequent loss of covering of skin over the scar.
Note (2):If one or more scars are both unstable and painful, add 10 percent to the evaluation that is based on the total number of unstable or painful scars
Note (3):Scars evaluated under diagnostic codes 7800, 7801, 7802, or 7805 may also receive an evaluation under this diagnostic code, when applicable

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Harleyman,

I was never treated for it ever. However, it has itched, and I have poked, picked at it ever since I got it. I know that I did go to sick call when it happened, was sent to the South Korean doc while in Iraq. Hard to remember if they gave me something to put on it when I left there, will have to look to see if I any thing from that.

I do know that I made a claim for it, had a C&P for it, was denied for it. I may have mentioned it to a civilian doc in between then and now. Will have to look for that also.

Pain was minimal if any. However, it did make its presence, as at least once a day I pick it, etc.

Thanks for the help.

I will get it dug out and see what they say and post the results here and then seek how to proceed with the VA..

Hamslice

Harleyman,

I was never treated for it ever. However, it has itched, and I have poked, picked at it ever since I got it. I know that I did go to sick call when it happened, was sent to the South Korean doc while in Iraq. Hard to remember if they gave me something to put on it when I left there, will have to look to see if I any thing from that.

I do know that I made a claim for it, had a C&P for it, was denied for it. I may have mentioned it to a civilian doc in between then and now. Will have to look for that also.

Pain was minimal if any. However, it did make its presence, as at least once a day I pick it, etc.

Thanks for the help.

I will get it dug out and see what they say and post the results here and then seek how to proceed with the VA..

Hamslice

Ham,

By all means dig out that DENIAL, and post the Reasons and Bases Section verbatim.

Update 2,

Today, I thought I was going to the doc to get it dug out, however, he suggested to leave it alone as it would cause to much tissue damage to cut it out as he was uncertain of the exact location as it is 5 mm deep into the skin.

He showed it to me on the x-ray and he measured it to be 1.8 mm in size. He said it I really wanted it out they would have use a needle like instrument and poke it into my head, then x-ray, measure and try to locate it that way. He suggested that if I could live with the itching, leave it alone for now.

So, I will do a claim (re-open) with new evidence as you can see it in the x-ray, and we will see what happens.

How should I approach this if I want the date to be the original denied claim from 2008??

Hamslice

I would NOT even consider to re-open yet, at least until you can post the reasons and basis for the

denial and perhaps hopefully the evidence section, from this denial.

To do an actual re-open would change the effective date (if awarded) to the date re-opened.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you are 70% SC'd now, so depending on many things,

even if you finally get this SC'd say at 10 percent, it might not change your combined percentage

of compensation any - but it will become part of your record.

All,

From denial letter;

Service connection for facial skin condition is denied because the medical evidence of record fails to show that this disability has been clinically diagnosed as a chronic condition.

We received your claim for service connection of a skin condition of your face on April 3, 2009.

Your service treatment records show you were treated for facial acne and sebaceous hyperplasia during active duty service. The rash was described a little blister.

You recently underwent a VA examination. You report that you developed a skin condition over your left eyebrow during active duty service. You state that it caused blisters that leaked and then eventually scabbed. You report that this rash occurs about every three to five months. Physical examination was conducted. The examiner stated that there were no blisters or scabs on your face. Therefore, the examiner concluded that there was no evidence of a shin condition on examination and a diagnosis was not rendered.

The last paragraph states that it has to be a considered chronic before it can be service connected.

(Sick slip from Iraq stated: Non-healing bumps above left eyebrow present for at least 5 months.)

Thanks for your time,

Hamslice