VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Closed

Rate this topic

jazz991

Thanks to all of you. I received my Big White Envelope.
AICD/Cardiomyopathy - 100%
Proteinuria and hypertension - 60%
Sleep Apnea - 50%
Diabetes mellitus type II and ED - 20% (it did not say anything about SMC-K, I'm going to check on this.)
Gout - 20%
Tinnitus - 10%
Shoulders/Knees/Patellofemoral syndrome with brace - 10%

Just waiting on my dependents to be added. If forget to provide the total number of times my spouse has been married...only one time. Also, I have to provide my daughters school info. Now, I need to do some research on the following statement "We granted entitlement to SMC effective 1 June 13 because you are housebound."

Once again, thanks for all the advice that this forum offers.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I need to do some research on the following statement "We granted entitlement to SMC effective 1 June 13 because you are housebound."

Nice to read of positive adjudication.

Spend wisely !

Here's your SMC/S research in a nut shell for you.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp12/Files1/1205899.txt

SMC(s)

SMC(s) is governed by 38 USCA § 1114(s) and 38 CFR § 3.350(i). SMC(s) is also referred to as housebound. There are two different ways to assign SMC(s): Statutory Housebound and Housebound in Fact. Both Statutory Housebound and Housebound in Fact will require at least a single 100 percent disability.

Statutory Housebound requirements:

* At least a single 100 percent rating, and

* Separate and distinct disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent.

The separate 60 percent disabilities must involve separate and distinct anatomical segments or body systems. However, the fact that the total disability and the independent 60 percent disabilities result from a common etiological agent will not preclude entitlement. There is no requirement that either the 100 percent or the 60 percent rating be permanent for Statutory Housebound.

Housebound in Fact requirements:

* A single 100 percent disability, and

* A factual determination that the Veteran is permanently housebound as a result of service-connected disabilities. This means that he or she is confined to the place of residence or immediate premises or, if institutionalized, to the ward or clinic areas.

My claim was closed after just 90 days under the BBD program. I was shocked that it was that quick.

Claim started in Winston-Salem and moved to St. Pete.

Date of retirement: 31 May 13
Claim closed: 1 Sep 13.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use