• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Looking Ahead To Possible Ptsd Appeal

Question

I am a 67 year old VN vet and was rated 50% for PTSD about 8 years ago. Then 6 years ago I asked for an increase which of course resulted in another C & P. At this time I was granted a rating of 100% tempory. A year later I was called in for another C & P for PTSD and remained at 100% tempory. Now five years later I am being called in for another C & P. What has me concerned is what I need to do if they reduce my rating. Would appreciate any advise.

Thanks

P.S. Not that it makes any difference but I am also rated for diabetes, HBP, sleep apnea, and Ischemic Heart disease. If I am reduced on the PTSD I should still be at least 70% and could possibly ask for TDIU. Is that something I could look at?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Since it has been over 5 years they should not be able to reduce you on the results of one doctors examination (if you have a series of treatment notes that indicate sustained improvement under normal conditions, that is a problem). In fact since you are over 55 they shouldn't even be doing a re-exam on you. You might send them a letter reminding them you are over 55 and as such should not need to be re-examined and that they should immediately convert your long standing award to pemanent and total.

Are you currently getting SMCS? if you have a 100% PTSD rating an other ratings, that are a seperate 60% that should qualify you for SMC.

I must not be getting SMCS since I don't know what it is. So what actually is SMCS?

A VSO I talked to never said anything about the age 55 rule. In fact he said they could bring me in for an exam at any age. Is he incorrect on this and where can I find this rule? Thanks for your reply as I do appreciate it.

I must not be getting SMCS since I don't know what it is. So what actually is SMCS?

A VSO I talked to never said anything about the age 55 rule. In fact he said they could bring me in for an exam at any age. Is he incorrect on this and where can I find this rule? Thanks for your reply as I do appreciate it.

VBA can call any claimant in for an examination at ANYTIME.

It doesn't happen all the time but it surely does happen some of the time

even if over age 55.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=9bdb90d88559f16c06b3ff61935bd40f&rgn=div8&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.4.1.66.134&idno=38

§4.19 Age in service-connected claims.

Age may not be considered as a factor in evaluating service-connected disability; and unemployability, in service-connected claims, associated with advancing age or intercurrent disability, may not be used as a basis for a total disability rating. Age, as such, is a factor only in evaluations of disability not resulting from service, i.e., for the purposes of pension.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am a 67 year old VN vet and was rated 50% for PTSD about 8 years ago. Then 6 years ago I asked for an increase which of course resulted in another C & P. At this time I was granted a rating of 100% tempory. A year later I was called in for another C & P for PTSD and remained at 100% tempory. Now five years later I am being called in for another C & P. What has me concerned is what I need to do if they reduce my rating. Would appreciate any advise.

Thanks

P.S. Not that it makes any difference but I am also rated for diabetes, HBP, sleep apnea, and Ischemic Heart disease. If I am reduced on the PTSD I should still be at least 70% and could possibly ask for TDIU. Is that something I could look at?

You should be safe, however, if you are not P&T, now, I would file a claim for it. You should have applied for P&T once you were rated 100% for 5 yrs, as your disability/condition became static after 5 yrs.

As stated you should probably be receiving a Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) "s" award of $336 additional monthly. The "s" award is something you generally don't need to apply for but they could have missed doing it. You do need a rating of 100% + 60% additional. If you have diabetes, you could also have erectile dysfunction (ED), which pays an additional $100 monthly.

Since you were rated at 50% for PTSD originally and 2 yrs later increased to 100%, you might want to pursue a claim for an EED. I could probably be pursued as a CUE. They originally awarded me 30% for PTSD and even tho it took me 10 yrs, I won 100% back to my original claim date. You have a better chance of winning that than you do any lottery and it could be worth $30k-$36k retro.

Also did they mention "A&A or Housebound" in your original 100% award?? They were required to discuss that, at that time. Could be an open claim?

In the event they attempt a reduction you should post that question then.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By jamescripps2
      I have service connected Chloracne, Diabetes II, and heart disease. In Dec, 2019 I was prescribed by the VA to take 25 mg per day of the relatively new drug Jardiance.  My cardiologist said that it would help with my Diabetes as well as the heart disease. I then started complaining of huge boils coming up in my right and then left inner groin. After many dermatology and emergency room visits, no diagnosis or treatment, other than a look see and another bottle of antibiotics.antibiotics.
      On July 1, 2020, things got a lot worse, so another trip to the ER and another bottle of ills. The pain was so great that I took some very strong opioids and slept away a day and a half. On July 3rd I once again returned to the ER. I have no memory of opening the ER door or seeing anyone. I woke up weeks later in the VA SCIU with  really bad pain. I didn't know why I was there or what had happened to me. I deduced that I must have been involved in a really awful car crash, perhaps someone was killed! Was it my wife, or maybe my grandchildren! With the covid 19 restrictions in place, no visitors. I asked everyone attending me but I got no answers.
      Some time weeks later my cardiologist appeared at my bedside and told me that I had to have emergency surgery for Fournier's Gangrene, a flesh eating bacteria that was caused by a perfect storm, created by the Cloracne, the Diabetes, and the medication, Jordiance. I had lost my private parts, including from three inches above my navel in the front to include my anus in the back. I have huge skin graft sites in my upper legs. the grafts were used to reconstruct from my buttocks to my navel and everything in between. I was given a 4.74% chance to survive the operation. At this time ,I am close to two months out, where I was given a 17.11 % chance of survival of 180 days. 
      There were only 19 cases of Fourniers Gangrene in 35 years, that is until they started prescribing Jardiance, now the FDA has identified 55 new cases.
      The drug goes by several names such as Jordiance, Emphgliflozin, Canagliflozin, and Dapagliflozin, Dapagliflozin is better better known as Farxiga.
      For a more complete story on my experience with the drug listen to the September 17th podcast in Exposed Vets. There will probably be a follow up broadcast later on this year, If I can survive the 180 day period, which is up December 3rd. And yes, I am making plans for the future.
      All I can say at this point is, If you have heart disease and/or diabetes check your medications! especially if you also have chloracne or another skin disease. Inform family and friends. The next time a tv commercial on such drugs Jordiance comes on, listen to the known side effects that are also listed.
      Merry Christmas, and Happy new year!
    • By freedog89
      This is a post looking for information and how to proceed. I applied for diabetes when I got out of the Navy in 2011 and was denied. I put in another claim in 2016 but never received a C& P exam. So I applied again and they recommended I submit a supplemental claim which they denied. I did have a  C& P exam and the examiner stated it was less likely than not incurred or caused by military service.  I was diagnosed with prediabetes and was taking METFORMIN and taking  blood glucose three times a day. I have had full diabetes since 2013.  Favorable findings shows a qualifying event during service (prediabetes) and disability of Diabetes Mellitus II. I have an HLR in but think I will get denied. What is my best option for fighting for service connection?
    • By L2dee2
      I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 on 2 Mar 10,  my last day on active duty was 28 Feb 09. I was denied service connection when I filed since I was officially diagnosed 3 days outside the 1 year window.  I never appealed this claim.  I was rated 60% in 2010 and never looked back.
      I recently happened across this site and realized, I might be able to reopen the case and submit a nexus letter stating that the diabetes manifested within the one year of me leaving active duty if not before.  Lab test taken on 25 Feb 09 show a Glucose reading of 324.  For some reason HB A1C test wasn't take until 2 Mar 10.  My HB A1C was 12.5.  The 2 Mar 10 date puts me inside the 1 year window.  There is no way my diabetes appeared in 3 days after the 1 year window.
      I am also service connected with Hypothyrodism (Hashimotos) which caused weight gain and slows the metabolism.  I was diagnosed in 1998.  Some medical evidence also shows slow thyroid can cause Diabetes.  Due to weight gain from my underactive thyroid, I was clinically obese on active duty.    If I can't get Diabetes added by showing it is service connected, maybe I can add it as a secondary to my Hypothyrodisim.  What are your thoughts?

• By clynch726
      I am looking for anyone who was on Kadena AFB, Okinawa or .Chanute AFB, IL. My dad was there from Oct. 68-April 70. He has ichemic heart disease, diabetes which has resulted in the amputation of his right leg below the knee and peripheral neuropathy. We were denied in 2002 AMVETS filed a claim on his behalf for heart condition, diabetes and back problems. I refiled in December 2011 and have just received the claim statements and medical release forms. I am familiar with filling out this paper work because my husband is a combat veteran of Iraqi Freedom. I have been reading articles from the Japan times and I am a member of the Agent Orange Okinawa facebook page. Another thing that helps make my dad's case is that he was on Chanute AFB, IL and it is on the EPA Superfund list and has PCBs/Pesticides and Dioxins/Furans listed as ground and water contaminants. I welcome any advice, tips or articles that I may have missed in my own research.
    • By pctinc2001
      I suffered a back injury while in the ARMY years ago. My back has continuously given me problems. I am SC for DDD and was wondering how can i go about service connecting Diabetes 2? Any information or case studies will be of great help. 
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
      • 12 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines