VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Pt, Current Civil Service; Would/can I Benefit From Ssd?

Rate this question

Inthewind

Question

I'm once again overwhelmed and confused, as I was when I started my claim for increases in 2010. So, HADIT is where I come to find answers, so I'm hoping someone can help out.

I've been searching for threads that may fit my situation for a couple of days and couldn't find anything, so I figured I'd just start a new one.

My particular info:

I was found 100% P/T September last year. I have a 70% PTSD/Depression rating along with 30% asthma and multitude of 10-20% ratings for cervical spine/lumbar spine/knees/flat feet etc.

I'm 52 and currently a FERS civil servant GS-13 (Analyst) coming up on my 10th year of civil service (June 2014) after 24 years of AD. I'm really having issues at work (Concentration/dealing with others/anger/pain due to my neck and back issues) and I've been out often enough that I use my sick leave as fast as I accrue it.

I'm trying to get it right in my head and not make a decision that will make me and my family take a huge hit financially.

The one option I was considering is a reduced annuity and just retire early. If I retire on the MRA (Minimum retirement Age) + 10, which for me is 56 years old, or another 4 years. My annuity is reduced by 5% a year for every year under 62 (So a 30% reduction). I'm not too sure I can hold out another four years. Then someone mentioned SSD. They also mentioned Federal disability but that seems even more difficult then a VA claim or SSD.

So, in regards to SSD:

a.) would I be eligible to apply if I'm still working? or would I need to stop working before I apply?

b.) Would I be shooting myself in the foot by applying now? Or would it be worth it to endure at all costs (Assuming I could) for a severly reduced annuity? I figured it to be about $750 a month before taxes. If I don't/can't then do I lose everything I've put into my FERS except my TSP?

c.) If I do wait and retire under MRA+10, then is SSD out of the question?

d.) Does SSD offset any of my current VA disability or Military retired pay? Or is that only if I am on Federal retirement?

Again, getting any of this straight has been proving to be impossible, so any help or advice would be appreciated.

I'm back again at trying to decide the path to take. I'm still in the same place (Except some advanced radiculopathy and ever increasing anxiety over mine and my families future) I was in October last year. I apologize for not answering the questions asked, but I've sort of lost touch with a lot in life in general.

In answer to your question John999, yes, my wife works and I have a 16 year old planning on college for sure. I'll PM you.

Is OPM disability decided while i'm still working? Or do I need to totally be out of work. Again, I'm using my sick leave as fast as I accrue it.