VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cpap

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I am set to the VA for a new CPAP machine, the one I have was issued by the Army in 2010. I complained to the VA and stated that my machine is making ticking sounds, broken face mask, hole in the hose (covered with tape), and often times take up to five seconds to turn after pressing the on button. What should I expect when I take my machine in and what questions will they ask?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Don't know if they might want to do a sleep study to properly set your machine; I'd opt for that if you can. It may not have been set proper before.

Otherwise they just periodically want it brought in to check the "compliance". At least that was several years ago.

I get CPAP gear thru Medicare now.

I think the schedule for mask/hose replacement with VA is every six months if you request it. I have never had a problem getting a mask or new tubing/hose whan I have asked. My VAMC has never done a compliance check (asked for the card) and when I went to a C&P for apnea the doctor wouldn't even look at or take the card from my machine. Since she was an allergist I am sure she didn't want to look at the data because she would have no idea on how to interpret it!

• HadIt.com Elder

These days at my VA hospital after 180 of use the vet is dropped from data base. They have so many vets on cpaps they cannot take care of them. I have one from VA and one from medicare.

Vet2010 - you should expect, at the very least, that they will replace the machine, provide a new hose and mask. You should be seen at least once a year to evaluate you AND the machine. My VAMC (Boston/Roxbury) doesn't have enough staff so they contract for me to have visits every six months from a private firm. I get a new hose, mask and filters with every visit and told if I need them sooner all I have to do is call them.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I had an appointment at the VAMC sleep clinic yesterday. I obtained my machine from a local hospital's medical supply vendor. They had asked me to bring in my entire machine, hoses, mask, everything. I also brought in my sleep study records, as the VA was not involved in my study. They read the chip from the machine to get a log of activity. They tested my machine. They said my mask, hose, filters, and velcro harness were all shot, so they issued me new ones.

The nurse who I worked with was actually very positive, friendly, and encouraging. I was actually pleased with the experience and wanted to give her credit for her competence and kindness, so I filled out a comment card. I only wish everyone at the VA was like that.

I have had nothing but positive visits with the sleep lab folks. Always happy to help! never a problem with any of the equipment. They change my machine out every three years, I'm just happy with them!