VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Morning Reports To Help Rvn Vet

Rate this question

carlie

Question

I need to be reminded where to get these reports.

My 2 tour RVN :

vet served from 22 Mar 1968 through Honorable Discharge 14 Mar 1971.

Decorations:

NDSM -- SPS M-14 -- SPS M-16 -- VCM -- VSM -- 2 O/S Bars

In Aug 1973 he was denied SC for "nervous condition" -- not shown by evidence of record. Drug addiction -- disability due to willful miscondust. HE IS CLEAN and HAS BEEN FOR MANY YEARS. I do know him well.

He has been VA diagnoised with PTSD but the doc only stated due to financial problems. HOW STUUUUUUUUUPID ! ! Thanks

Edited by carlie

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just one discharge - his enlistment started with 3 years and he went back to back into another 3 year enlistment contract with no discharge in between.

His character of discharge is HONORABLE - no bad paper anywhere.

He gets full health care and is SC at zero % for his toe on his left foot.

He has NO BARS to benefits.

All of his SPN codes are good for reenlistment.

He is on the AO Registry with no symptoms of cancer and not diabetic.

He does get treatment for Tinea ??? - skin condition.

Carlie,

Not true at all. Each period of service there is a DD 214 issued. I have three of them. At the end of his three years that vet had to be issued a DD 214 and the block where is states "reason for discharge" there should be "re-enlistment" after his first three years. At the end of his second tour or three years he is issued another DD 214 the reason would just state "discharged".

This vet, if he served two enlistments even back to back would definitely have two DD 214s. I spent almost 11 years in the Marine Corps and I have 3 DD 214s, one for each period of service.

Rocky,

Just now picked up your post -- good catch, now I have to find out if there's something fishy in these waters. Thank you buddy ! I'll get back.

OK JUST CHECKED THE DD214 I HAVE --

BOTH RVN TOURS WERE IN ONE 3 YEAR ENLISTMENT PERIOD.

ENTERED: 22 MAR 68 DISCHARGED: 14 MAR 71

SPN Code 411 - Early Separation Overseas Returnee.

CHACTER OF SERVICE: Honorable

Great -- thanks for helping me clear this up -- sorry I had the 2 enlistments listed as it is really 1 enlistment with 2 RVN tours.

Edited by carlie

Rocky is absolutely correct-

Carlie- dont let this happen to you-

I had a widow email referral from VCV,ltd. (Vietnam Combat Veterans limited.-I am a civilian but they let me join and have referred claims to me)

The widow claimed AO in Nam caused her husband's death----long story----the DD 214 she sent me showed no overseas service.

When I finally got a copy of his second DD 214 (she told VCV and me at first there was only one-)

this vet had never served in Nam and the second discharge was Dishonorable.

Do not waste yout time on this without some real documentation.

Rocky- question- when Rod was in the USMC - the enlistment was four years-

Army I think was two-one of my other husbands had two Army DD 214s , 2 years each,and Rod had one from USMC, one from Navy, and a DD 215.

Do you know what the Navy enlistment length was during the Vietnam War?

Semper Fi MARINE!

Edited by Berta

Berta,

During that era the enlistment terms were 2, 3, 4, and 6 years. Normal re-enlistments were for 3 years or 6 years. I don't believe there were any 2 year re-enlistments in the Navy or Marine Corps. First enlistments were 2, 3, or 4 years. As far as tours of duty in WestPac or Vietnam it was 13 months for both Navy and Marine Corps. There were also those sailors and Marines that extended their Vietnam tours in 6 month increments. Hope you figure it out!!!

Also the DD 215 is just the certificate of discharge. You will find the DD 215 is just something to hang on the wall and is of no value when it comes to compensation of anything official, then it is the DD 214 that counts. Normally all DD 214s also should have a DD 215 Discharge Certificate accompany them.

Semper Fi!

RockyA

Edited by RockyA1911