VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Radiculopathy...

Rate this topic

Will the VA pain management or neurologist Doctors, state that a person may need a Spinal Cord Stimulator or neuro stimulator. Just a thought, my husband had failed back surgery, nerve pain, etc. The spinal cord stimulator has helped him come off most of the drugs for his pain. It was a workers comp. injury and they paid for the surgery. Multiple ESI's, facet joint blocks, rhizotomy did not have any long lasting effect. For the SCS to work well, you really shouldn't be overweight. Just a thought, you might want to ask your doctors.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would sure get a second opinion about anything serious the VA tells me is wrong with me. Do you have medicare? Get Obamacare if you have to and get second opinions for this stuff. You can pick three orthopods, neurologists and neurosurgeons and they will all probably have different opinions and treatments. Pick the one that is most conservative and is older and established with no boat payments or ex-wives. I went to two highly regarded doctors for my neck. One said I need an operation and the other said I did not need one by any means. What can I say?

Here just under two weeks I am getting the radio frequency ablation done. After all the steroid shots, normal placed, bilateral, facet block injections, it is time to be more aggressive on the treatment. All this is utilizing my private insurance. It has taken me 4 months just to get an appointment with the pain management clinic through the VA. I get to see them in five days. Hopefully they won't state something that will set me off, like oh I think you have a some back problems. :angry: But alas I am not going to blow my top until it is necessary and then probably not, how does that saying go. You get more flies with honey than you do vinegar. Something like that.

• HadIt.com Elder

Since I have severe sleep apnea my private doctor prescribed adderal for me. It is speed, but I take small dose and I don't feel as much pain and I can stay awake. I know the VA is going to complain about this but it is a legal script and not used for pain, but just so I can stay awake during the day.

• 1 month later...

VA pain management decided to put me on Lyrica (pregabalin) I am willing to try this and see if works. Haven't seen the VA neurologist yet just the nurse practioner. So far being on Gabapentin didn't do much for me. From the private insurance side the Radiofrequency has had some mixed results. It is still a little early but so far it has increased the radicular pain down my left leg. I can really tell when I sit down for 30 minutes or so. They did the L1-L2-L3 roots. I guess I am going to have to get shots again and maybe try the ablation at a higher and lower level. Hopefully here soon I can get an opinion from the neurologist at the VA. But from what I have experience so far its difficult to get seen by an actual neuro. :unsure:

So far the Lyrica seems to be helping.The pain down my leg is still there but seems to be less severe at times. Don't know if I am completely convinced but it is a 30day trial. I think it would take longer to actually see a difference. When it gets bad I use the ice and stim and take the methocarbanol. It helps. Although a bit painful I still do the stretches, at least as best I can. I have to say the pain and numbness that goes on is sometimes confusing. I sometimes wish it was just one or the other not both, however, I still wish and much prefer none at all.