VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Finally Got 100% Now Everyone Hates Me!

Rate this topic

F4crewchief

Its one of those things that can effect us all....

My best friend of 5 years is very similar to me.

He was a marine and I was Army infantry so we have an understanding that many people wouldn't be able to have with him or me.

18 months ago we both found ourselves in legal trouble were we may lose our federal jobs.

Our bond became even strong. I was already at 40% disability and told him I would help him get Va benefits. I took him to the VA and walked him through everything.

Low and behold he calls me up and says he was rated 80% and got 45k in back pay.

Of course I was very happy.

But then being human kicked in....he no longer had to stress over our lawyer fees for the legal trouble. He no longer cared if he lost the fed job that we were both so worried to lose.

Suddenly he was no longer in misery with me. I was by myself while he had no worries.

I never told him but I did have jealousy over his now worry free life while I struggle with what tomorrow may bring.

I asked myself why...why is he making a grand a month more than me for supposed ptsd that he and I joke about when I'm suffering with hearing loss everyday.

Again I never showed this jealousy in any way as he is my friend and quickly dismissed this feeling and was only happy for him...

But if your best friend and the very person who helped you get benifits can be a little bitter of your success then you better believe friends and family will.

Unfortunately it is just the way we are when things are down in our lives

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey, I felt sort of the same way when my pal got 100% with SMC "S" before me and we both used the same psychologist and IME's. We had sort of a competition going on with this VA thing. I guess we both won if you consider being disabled and getting 100% compensation winning? Getting 100% or TDIU is the least the government should do.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

Now I am hating myself! I used to hate myself because of guilt and feeling like a failure. Now I have realized that it is everyone else's fault, and that I am just a victim of circumstance.

free spirit,

I sure hope your husband separated out the different eras. After WW II he is right on the money--home loans, school benefits, medical care, business loans etc. etc. After that not so much.

I was literally born in married student housing as my father used his WW II GI Bill benefits--100% tuition AND a stipend for living expenses. My first run a college under the VN GI Bill $248 mo. for everything.

In fact, my father and I got into a rare argument about it because he thought I was receiving the same as he did. When he found out the truth, he was really PO'd, but not at me!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use