VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Finally Got 100% Now Everyone Hates Me!

Rate this topic

F4crewchief

I just got my 100% rating, too! (High 5!)

After telling the person closest to me, I fortunately figured out quickly not to talk about the amount and extra perks, (property tax, fishing license, Nat'l Parks, commissary, etc). I just say that I'll get a monthly check and some healthcare at the VA...

What I'm guessing happens with the haters is: the economy is bad, politicians are bigger douches than ever, people are struggling, and the ones who do have jobs are working their butts off, some in jobs they hate with shit benefits if they get any at all, and paying Taxes... and as far as they are concerned, those taxes (their money) are being taken away from them and going into my pocket for me to sit around on my ass and live the good life ... so, big-time Resentment.. Talking about my recent good fortune may feel to them like rubbing their face in it.. not entirely rational, but that's how humans are..

They aren't going to care that my life was destroyed and I've suffered with PTSD and chronic pain for 40 years while trying hard to make it on my own, not taking handouts, lost jobs, broken relationships, homelessness, before I went to the VA 4 years ago... I'm just some old fart who signed up during an unpopular war long ago that the young people don't even know much about.. If they could walk in my boots, they'd get it, but they can't.. even the people who've known me a long time...

I just got too old, too tired, to fight anymore and when help was offered, I accepted.... I consider it a gift and I'm grateful.

So we can just celebrate quietly here... champaigne, anyone?

BTW- does anyone know which letter we're supposed to show to get DMV, property tax, National Park pass, etc.? I have an AB8, but it shows the amount I'm awarded on it, and I'm not all that comfortable with that... Is there another one that just says certified 100% Disabled Veteran, or is that the one I need?

Congratulations on your win! It's hard, but try not to let the jealous people ruin your parade. My health issues really started about 40 years after returning from Vietnam, and continually got worse until I finally went to the VA for help. After several heart surguries, Prostate Cancer, and severe shortness of breath; I was finally awarded 100%. I felt like crap, but was walking on a cloud knowing that I would be compensated for my health issues, and my health would be treated as best they could. That bubble burst real quick when I told my SISTER that I would be receiving 100%. She asked "How Long" and dummy me said "Forever". She went off on me like no tomorrow, and said that she had worked for the Federal Government for 37 years and didn't get that much money. She didn't think about the fact that I can't walk across my yard without taking Nitro. I would gladly give up the disability in a heartbeat to have my health back; but that will never happen. Just try to make the best of your life and don't let the jealous ruin your day. You EARNED every penny of the disability and more! Thanks for your service.

Buckeye46

I think Ebennies will let you choose what info you want to show before you print it. I have a question... If you are 100%, how do you know if its IU or TDIU? Do you get the same benefits for both?

Edited by infantry10

My husband did a lot of research on veteran's benefits for his Thesis for his Master's in Sociology. For one thing, veteran's benefits are "back-loaded." In essence, the pay is not good, but the promise to take care of you if you are injured is thrown in. So yes, they are earned benefits. For another thing, the VA benefits are responsible for creating a large middle-class in the United States. The VA home loans and the GI bill made college education and home ownership possible for many people for whom those would not have been possible - creating a large middle class. AND a study showed that VA benefits actually help the economy. I remember the study showed that for every dollar that was paid out in VA benefits, three dollars were returned to the economy. So, in essence, VA benefits help more than just veterans.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use