VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Extend My 911 Educational Benefits

Rate this question

yelloownumber5

Question

I retired Dec 2003, I think we have 15 or 17 years to use the post 911 educational benefits.

How do I get an extension for this, is there a standard time period they will extend them from?

I have seen a neurophysi in the past but do you need some kind of medical documentation.

I do not think I will be able to use them and would like to pass them on to our young daughter.

Thanks,

Y#5

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I take no brick and mortar classes and receive a housing allowance. Just not at the full level - 60 - 75% as I remember.

PS: I go to Capella and have had a really great experience (PhD in Industrial/Organizational Psychology). I've been at it just over a year and have had a great time. It's tough work - definitely not an "easy-b". You have to be able to focus on your own and set your own "in-class" schedule. If you don't do well in groups (I don't), you might do well taking on-line classes. There are participation points towards your grades, but if you're self-directed and can stay focused without an instructor at the head of the room telling you what to look at, you'll do great. I was sceptical, but highly recommend the on-line education for those who cannot build their lives around going to school at specific times for specific classes. I work, have kids/wife,etc. so I log in and participate on my own time/schedule. Just look for a reputable institution that offers the degree you are most interested in. You'll do fine whether you're doing brick/mortar, on-line or blended program.

That's great justrluk! I didn't know that. I just remembered when I checked out 911 benefits for a friend that you didn't have to take ALL of your classes on-campus.

Like you, I really like online classes! I don't get education benefits from the VA - but I get super cheap tuition from the community college where I teach. So I can take online classes really cheap (which is wonderful because they don't pay very much).