VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Upcoming C & P For Ptsd

Rate this question

Ruffcreek

Question

I am a 66 year old Viet Nam vet who has been 100% (temporary) for PTSD for 5 years. I am being called in for another exam this Friday. Would it be worthwhile to write my own statement telling how PTSD has negatively impacted my life to present to the examiner? Also should I make a list of notes to jog my memory when taking the exam? I am slightly nervous about the C & P and would appreciate any advise on how I may help my chances of keeping my 100%.

Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Based on your age and that you're 100% for 5 yrs, I'd guess that they are going to make you P&T. I suggest you review the criteria for PTSD and make sure you still qualify with the needed symptoms. I would bring any notes you may need. I do that cuz when under pressure I tend to forget something. The VA docs usually just rubber stamp your last C&P exam report. jmo

pr

Update:

Thanks for your response Mr. Rogers. I went to my C & P this morning. Total time with Dr. was 20 minutes in which he asked same questions as last time. At the end of his examination he asked if I wanted to add anything. I briefly scanned an outline of major points on an index card to see if I needed to add anything I also presented him a narrative written by another grunt from our company describing our last battle. I made the comment that this battle along with several other fire-fights is what I live with each and every day and night. Summary: honest answers to his questions by telling him how VN has affected my life. Now we will wait and see as it's anybody's guess what the VA might do.

Ruffcreek

Wishing you the best of luck, Ruffcreek. It's stressful enough to deal with the VA for ordinary appointments - those C&P's can really be awful.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you should get P&,T and if you don't then claim it. You are 66 and should not be on tender hooks wondering if you are going to be reduced in a few years. Do you get treatment for PTSD at the VA? If you don't get P&T, and you don't get treatment at the VA, I would start. If they want you to take drugs accept them at least. I have been P&T for almost 13 years and I still see the VA shrink and get the pills. I will see the VA shrink until I hit year 20 as TDIU. The VA lives on documentation. Every time you visit the VA you have another chance to add ten feet to your mountain of documentation.

John

John,

Have been going to group sessions once per month and getting two differeent meds for PTSD. So yes I have these things documented and made it clear to the examiner that I was doing these things. Hope it all helps.

Ruffcreek

• HadIt.com Elder

In the mean time I would write a brief letter, "today," requesting that you be awarded P&T and I would mail it, either certified, return receipt requested or w/delivery confirmation, to your VARO, by 10/31/2013.

The letter can be a simple as:

"Dear Sirs,

Please consider this a claim for Permanent & Total (P&T) status, for my 100% rating, for my SC PTSD award. I am over 55yo, have had this rating for over 5 yrs., and the condition is static, or should be considered static, as there has been no improvement, nor is any expected, in the past 5 yrs.

I request the maximum, allowed by law, of any and all conditions/awards, known and unknown to me, at this time, and that this claim be handled in an expeditious manner.

Sincerely,

Ruffcreek

You can improve on this in any way you want but that's basically all that's needed. You are already service connected, so no statements about your stressors are necessary, now or ever again. jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers