VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Exactly Do Service Officer Do For Vets?

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I am trying to find out what exactly the system is, that the service officers do/ Ok for instance. My claim is at the waco va, on re open.

The service officer is in the same building with the va. Somewhere in the va, lies my claim. I know my service officer has access to my c-file, because he has my power of retardee. So now what. I was told there are 15 service officers in waco for my service org. I would imagine they are assigned cases, based on whatever, such as complicated, or simple based on thier experience.

Im just trying to picture what is actually going on,. Im envisioning a service rep sitting at a desk in his office., And im envisioning the va personell on thier side of the building, , doing whatever it is they do. So what happens, does the Service officer basically wait around until the time comes that my case Is actively being worked by the ro, then get engaged and work with them to try and improve my position, or are they working on my case on thier own and doing research and confering amongst themselves, as to how best move forward.

ANYBODY KNOW?

Some letters I get from the service org say that my claim is with the " appeals team". So that sounds like people who would know what to do at that level.

When asking my service org how things work, they are very limited in what they will say. its very need to know type dialogue. real generic answers.

Im not trying to be critical but I just dont ;like following anyone but Jesus in blind faith., I dont think knowing how the process works is too much to ask.

• HadIt.com Elder

I belong to NARFE which is small organization for active and retired federal employees. They have a PAC, but none of the VSO's have PAC's. They take our dues money, and go to conventions and party down, while NRA slides bags of money to local congressman. This is why we vets have little clout. The American people like us but we are not organized lobby.

John

This is an email exchange with the VFW in Reno. The guy referenced is my VSO, VFW, here in Las Vegas. Basically it sounds like they think they're a glorified mail service for vets. I've also read that they're paid for every person they get to sign a POA. I'm going to be firing the VFW post haste.

Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 9:05 AM
To: XXX
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Additional Evidence

Hi XXX,

I was wondering if you could tell me anything about the status of my claim. I had multiple C&P exams completed a while ago and haven't heard anything from anyone.

Is XXX supposed to be contacting me giving me any info about what's happening with my claim? I've yet to hear anything from him in over a year so I'm not really sure what a VSO is supposed to do for a veteran. Should I go to the VSO at the main hospital instead?

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

K9MAL

K9MAL,

No, XXX cannot assist you with the status of your claim.

A VSO (Veteran Service Officer) works for you in submitting your claim to VA and makes sure

VA follows the laws governing compensation.

I also submit your paperwork directly to VA and keep a date stamped copy in case VA loses

anything.

From what I can see in VA’s computer program, VA has all of the information they need

and your claim is in the stack to be completed.

I am sorry your claim has taken over a year, however, most claims are taking between 14-18

months.

XXX

• HadIt.com Elder

I would reply this way but this is me.

Get off of your backside and go across the hall to your lunch buddy and ask for a status.

Have that status to me the same day you ask or I am contacting your National Headquarters. Your a VSO and are representing Veterans. You are acting like you work for the VA. Well I guess you do get free rent.

I would reply this way but this is me.
Get off of your backside and go across the hall to your lunch buddy and ask for a status.
Have that status to me the same day you ask or I am contacting your National Headquarters. Your a VSO and are representing Veterans. You are acting like you work for the VA. Well I guess you do get free rent.

Plus on this, especially the DAV!!

My only issue is I don't want to cause too many waves before a decision is made. I know it probably won't effect the outcome but if I piss her off is she gonna go talk to her lunch buddy and put the screws to me? I don't know, but I don't want any additional wait time or to have to fight something that might've got rated the first time around.

If I wasn't worried about repercussions there'd be a very heated exchange...

I have something else to say, although this doesn't pertain to the thread…...

I want to personally thank the Vietnam Vets for the war they raged with the VA to get all of us here…this far. Without them forging a way, a path, we would still be begging for scraps.

Thank you from an OIF vet!!