VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Exactly Do Service Officer Do For Vets?

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I am trying to find out what exactly the system is, that the service officers do/ Ok for instance. My claim is at the waco va, on re open.

The service officer is in the same building with the va. Somewhere in the va, lies my claim. I know my service officer has access to my c-file, because he has my power of retardee. So now what. I was told there are 15 service officers in waco for my service org. I would imagine they are assigned cases, based on whatever, such as complicated, or simple based on thier experience.

Im just trying to picture what is actually going on,. Im envisioning a service rep sitting at a desk in his office., And im envisioning the va personell on thier side of the building, , doing whatever it is they do. So what happens, does the Service officer basically wait around until the time comes that my case Is actively being worked by the ro, then get engaged and work with them to try and improve my position, or are they working on my case on thier own and doing research and confering amongst themselves, as to how best move forward.

ANYBODY KNOW?

Some letters I get from the service org say that my claim is with the " appeals team". So that sounds like people who would know what to do at that level.

When asking my service org how things work, they are very limited in what they will say. its very need to know type dialogue. real generic answers.

Im not trying to be critical but I just dont ;like following anyone but Jesus in blind faith., I dont think knowing how the process works is too much to ask.

if I lose the reopen claims, I think im going to pull the plug on my SO. Its seems like the va RO system is a freeforall of lies, incompetence, deception, and swindling, and once it goes to Appeals, all that comes to a screeching halt for the most part, and they must follow the law, which they dont seem to be good at doing at the regional level.

Im not going to beg, or bargain when I have great evidence. enough already, ...

I feel your frustration and hope your claim goes in your favor so you don't have to worry about a appeal. But I agree with you. I'd pull the plug on them too. Good luck to you! Edited by infantry10

OMG Infantry10! I just looked it up and it took me over two years to get my money.

I just kept getting the run-around -- but when I wrote my Congressman and he forwarded my letter to them, I got paid pretty quick.

I have to add my 2 cents for what it is worth. I am a veterans service officer, going on 8 years. I volunteer 3-4 days a week and I do more research on claims than I believe the VSO's/NSO's located at the VA do I have a VBM on my nightstand next to my bed where I read a few pages everyday. The hospital on Fort Knox provides an office, furniture, computer, printer and any other logistical support that I might need to assist active duty personnel getting ready for retirement, ETS and/or a medical board retirement and/or separation.

I spend a lot of time reviewing cases at the BVA, when I am not with a veteran. I have learned a great deal and from that I can pass that info on to the individual setting before me. I assist the individual in formulating their claim. If something needs clarification, or perhaps an additional ROM testing or whatever is needed to put the finishing touches on the claim, I do it. Then I submit the claim as a fully developed claim. I will not submit anything else and I explain that to the individual. I have had great success in the claims that I submitted by doing the research that needs to be done before submitting a claim.

I am not in the back pocket of any official from the VA, I do not go golfing or have any type of association with any member that works in the VA. I do happen to know a few individuals that work in the Louisville and Ranoke VARO's. Individuals that I have served with over the years while on active duty. Again, I'm not in their back pockets. I never ask an individual if he or she wants to become a member of the organization that I volunteer for. That's not my job, I could care less if they are members or not. my whole purpose is putting their claim together in the best possible way that I can. I have been asked on several occasions why I do what I do. Why go to the depth when VA is going to deny it anyways. I hear that a lot. I had a great deal of assistance with my claim when I was being medically boarded. It is because of them, I am here passing on the same attributes. Since being here on this site, I also have learned a great deal. I have researched many topics on this site and have been impressed with the information provided! This information has also been very helpful when putting claims together. I love what I do and only hope that the Good Lord above continues to bless me and provide me the strength and wisdom to continue as long as I can.

This isn't about me, it never has been nor will it ever be. It is always about that active duty person, that retiree, that medical retiree, the widow or widower that comes seeking assistance and me giving them my undivided attention. I saw 937 individuals and submitted close to 600 claims to VA in 2012. This year, I am up by 7 in the individuals that I seen at this time last year and while the number of claims are a few lower, I will always continue to do what I do in the best possible way that I can.

I'm not perfect, I've made some mistakes but I take those mistakes and learn from them that they are not repeated. I guess I get upset when I hear words "stay away from the VSO's and get a lawyer". There are some VSO's that have no business doing what they do. I have found that there is a huge difference in VSO's. The volunteer's and those that get paid for what they do. I have seen VSO's just put down what ever the vet wants and submits a claim. Then when the veteran returns to the office with a denial, that so called VSO will be the first one in cussing out the VA because they don't know what they are doing. It just pisses me off to no end. The volunteers (most I believe) will go the unconditional 2 miles because they want the vet to receive what they are due. But there are those volunteers that only work one day a week and in some cases one day a month. My advice to folks, stay away from them. You have to have a working knowledge on what your doing. I'm going on 8 years and I've seen a lot of changes myself, more than I can count. You have to be on top of those changes to effectively assist those that are seeking your assistance.

many times, I see, forget the VSO and get a lawyer. You have to give the system a chance to work itself first. Yes there are times that a veteran will need a lawyer, I have assisted a few of those myself. I have recommended the NVLSP and those that have come back, told me that they were successful in their plight.

Well, I'll get off my soap box now, but I would like to leave you with this one thing in mind; all vso's are not the same!

have a great day,

Rick

I most certainly agree with your post. I wish all VSOs were more like you!! There are always a few who ruin the reputation of the good. Thats why I always make sure to mention that not all is the same. There are ones like you who do what they do because they actually care and want to make a difference and help. I appreciate your dedication and hard work. Thank you for everything you do!!!

Edited by infantry10

63sierra,

My case is in Waco RO too. Since I was medically retired in February, this is my first dealing with that Office. How good or how quick are they? I have a FDC with them. Meghp0405, I love how passionate you are about the job. I was offered a VSO position when I first retired and I wish I would have taken that job, instead I spent the last 7 months as an Agent tracking Violent Sex Offenders, I had to resign from that job. I helped a lot of people when I was going thru the PEB in the Navy, but I am so new to all of this. I have a very friendly helpful VSO. Only thing is sometimes I think that he has more faith in the VA then what I have actually seen. I wrote you back on my Fully Developed Claim discussion but my internet was acting up. Once I did research, you are right, I don't know why he requested my submit a FDC when I have only been out 8 months. My ratings were never great to begin with from the VA, because the Navy was already going to retire me. So the JAG lawyer said take you 80% SC and Navy retirement and run. JAG told me to go and just ask the VA to increase %s and there should be no problem. I had plenty of documentation and evidence for my %s before. Now I am scared that if this FDC comes back, either it will take past February or not come back good. Everyone says that if I send in my new evidence that the FDC will be pushed into a traditional claim and take forever. I guess if the %s don't come back good, then I will submit a NOD if in time. Will I have to do more C&P exams since I just the Military with my ratings. 63Sierra, sorry I had to jump in on Megh, I didn't know how to ask her otherwise.

• HadIt.com Elder

Meg is a victim by association. It is difficult not to take it personal when someone dogs out a VSO.

There are good VSO's out there. Meg is one of the best.

We have had a lot of folks here who has had ugly experiences with the VSO orgs. I assure you its not the persion, Its the folks he works for.

I get the opportunity to talk to a lot of VSO's, Agents and Attorneys as well.

What I have concluded is any Good VSO should separate themselves from the Big organizations. Do youy know what it takes to be a certified claim agent?

You dont have to be an attorney to be effective. You just need to be certified and have a medical knowledge and know the Title 38.

J