VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p For Ptsd Results (Increase)

Rate this question

LanceJoseph

Question

I'm currently rated at 50%for ptsd but with a total of 80% which was given back dec 2010. I filed an NOD right away and just now had a c&p exam on 10/25/2013 and then checked ebennies last night and it had already showed a SOC has been sent. Pretty quick turn around so I'm guessing bad news. Tell me what you think please.

1.Diagnostic summary

Has the veteran been diagnosed with PTSD (yes)

2.Current Diagnosis #1: PTSD with depression

(X) axis I

3.Axis III -medical diagnosis (to include TBI) Acromioclavicular , sprain

Axis IV -unemployed ,social environment , primary support

AXIS V - current gaf score :35

Does the veteran have more than one mental disorder (no)

Does the veteran have a diagnosed TBI (YES)

(X) Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas , such as work , school , family relations , judement , thinking and or mood.

Relevant substance abuse history : veteran is having 6 drinks per day but showing no signs of dependecy or withdrawal issues.

Sentinal event : wife left him , assaulted his father

All symptoms that apply to veterans diagnosis .

depressed mood , anxiety,suspiciousness,panic attacks, chronic sleep impairment , mild memory loss , flattened effect ,impaired judment,disturbances of motivation or mood,difficulty establishing and maintaining work and social relationships,SUicidal idealation, impaired impulse control.

Is the veteran capable of managing his finances (YES)

Veteran attepted suicide once but has said he will not be doing it again.

Veteran was administered the patient health Questionnaire -9 (PHQ9) and scored a 20 which is in the severe range for depresssion symptoms, He was also administered the GAD-7 and scored 18 which is also in the sever range for anxiety.

Veteran scored 74 on the ptsd checklist/.

She also goes on and writes about my nightmares and suicidal issues, My total alienation from society and how I have tried to work but due to angry outburst and violant tendencies I am unable to have ainful employment.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe that "usually" when an SOC is issued, it's been denied. If you are unable to work because of your SC disability(s) you should apply for TDIU and not wait until you meet some arbitrary percentage the VA states you need. jmo

pr

So to recap , I've called the Va 1800 number and get different stories every time. That the SOC is in the mail , it hasn't been mailed yet and it might have been. I call my DAV rep 5 times and hasn't replied. Are they just trying to bide there time until I don't have time to disagree with the SOC. I though it was a bit weird the ebennies showed and SOC only hours after my C&P exam. I haven't been a ale to work for 3 years and just barely getting by and if It's not 100 or deferred tidu then I'm getting a IMO but I need the SOC before I case see how they support there decision.

Lance,

Based on the C&P results, you should easily be 70-100%. You should apply for SSDI, as long as you have worked for the last 5-10 years then you will have enough points to qualify. I just submitted for SSDI and I am only 31, but I have been working legally since I was 14 so I paid in enough taxes. I truly wish you the best bud.

Yes and dont forget that all military service time involves working credits for SSDI.

I think however that one must have worked within 5 years before applying to SSA.

The SSA web site has the whole 9 yards on disability (SSDI)

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

Edited by Berta

Well I just checked ebennies and my ab8 shows that I'm at a total of 90% which means they raised my ptsd from 50 to 70. It also says effective date of this change is nov 1st 2013. Does this mean no back pay? I have paperwork showing that I was unable to hold gainful employment not even a month after I received my Initial rating. Should I send this paper work to them and try and get my backpay / higher rating. I've talked to a few psychologist and none of them are comfortable doing a IMO. What should my next step be?

Lance,

When you put in for an Increase, they go by the following month after the increase. No back pay like when you submitted your first claim. I have an open claim right now for an increase and I am in the same boat. Now you can put in for IU, but atleast you got a good %. My PTSD exam is similar to yours and the VA only gave me 30% initially, so hopefully they up mine like you. Did you look into applying for SSD?