VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Tell If A Depression Will Be A Secondary Condition?

Rate this question

Scout Swimmer

Question

I have a claim in for depression. I currently recieve 50% for migranes and 40% for TBI. My question is how would I find out if my depression will be rated by itself or added to my TBI or Migranes as a secondary. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

don't get to anxious, I've seen actual claims in the "prep for decision" phase 7 months.

Was your MH conditions diagnosed by a VA Doc? That will determine a lot in itself. The VA changed some of its rules for a diagnosis of PTSD.

I believe your best bet is to wait for your Rating Decision. As stated before, you can have more than one diagnosis for a MH condition, but VA will only compensate for the greater of the diagnosis.

It's depression. The phase before that was "evidence past due". It sat there 5 months, so I called my PLA and he told me my claim was in suspense. He told me that the VA was waiting on some form they sent me, but I was never sent any form, so he put a waiver on my file. The next week my claim moved to prep for desicion. I have no private doctor, just the VA head shrink ( who diagnosed me with chronic depression secondary to my TBI) and a letter from a supervisor at work. Maybe I made a mistake doing that waiver because my VA diagnosis isn't even showing up as eveidence recieved on ebenefits. I'm a little worried.

Edited by Philgrenier

"I just had a mental health visit on Friday. She said its secondary to PDST. (not sure if they count that as depression)"

"I was in a pretty horrible car crash where I was ejected out of the vehicle at high speeds, and I got my head split open by a steel deck plate on a combat rubber recon craft when it capsized punching surf."

That is a stressor and that is why the doctor ( I assume a VA MH professional who diagnosed PTSD)

I think was saying that the TBI (a physical disability) caused the PTSD ( a MH disability) and they should be rated separately.

PTSD can have depression as part of the overall MH disability but I think in your case this diagnosis might trump the depression diagnosis..

Do you have a ratable scar from that accident, that you could claim?

And a PTSD diagnosis might make it easier for you to get TDIU (paid at 100% comp rate) when you become unemployed.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp10/Files6/1046160.txt

This BVA decision in above link has current scar rating info as well as TBI info in it.

I am wondering if they sent you a TDIU form.......whatever they said they sent and you didn't get might very well be something critical.....

Do you have a vet rep? What does PLA stand for?

Before I was granted 70% for depression...the only things I was applying for was ptsd eye injury and a hermit...now those were the only three things I had applied for...not depression...the psych gave it to me and added it to my claim...but he was the final psych I saw before it went to the rating board....so yeah depression could definitly be ur prinary....also pulling a single tear out helps out I suppose