VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Saga Continues

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

Ok aside from everything else im battling for, I came to a realization. back in 04 when I fell deathy ill with my service related hepc which at the time was rated at zero percent I was put into a 48 week treatment of chemotherapy that means some very powerful meds that can kill you, and have killed folks., They bring u to the edge of death, to kill the virus. I was very sick most of that year of treatment . incapacitating episodes where I could barely get off the sofa for days, vomiting, 20 lbs weight loss, weakness , tired, abdominal pain, sweating chills,near constant burning diareeha , nausea , depression, rage, ect. I refiled for an increase near the end of my treatment and the va granted comp at 40 percent/. I recently read the regulations, and at least while I was on the chemo, I should have been rated 60 to 100 percent .. ALSO, even if they lowballed me at 60, that would have made me eligible for temporary TDIU. So what I want to know is specifically what I have to do, to try and get my temporary rating of 60 to 100 percent for the year I was being treated.

do I reopen, file a new claim, file a cue claim, file a special claim, ect.

also while I was on the chemo, a side effect is depression, so I was on depression meds for abt a year, and still depressed.

I struggled to pay my bills, and could only do a few service calls a week, and I had to hire my buddy to drive me around because I didnt trust myself, and was scared to faint at the wheel/ I was one sick puppy, and had to work during the hellish treatment of chemo. thse dirty bastards could have told me I was eligible for that compensation. they knew how sick I was my liver enzyme count was over 6.3 million and the liver biopsy said stage 3.5 to 4 out of possible worse 5. liver disease.

Edited by 63SIERRA

• Answers 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Free can u explain in layman terms what that reg u posted means thanks

7528 means if you had kidney cancer that you should have been rated at 100% for the time you were going through chemotherapy - been re-evaluated 6 months after the treatment ended, and then rated on residuals if you no longer had active cancer.

Edited by free_spirit_etc

well I went thru chemo for 48 weeks for the hepc, they removed my kidney . these were not at the same time., years apart,..

Edited by 63SIERRA

Ditto on that one! My 2 boys will NEVER be allowed to join the military.

Does your state offer tuition assistance for college? Do a Google search of your state & "Veterans college benefits for dependents" or something similar to that. In California, children of disabled vets at any percentage, can get free tuition for the state colleges & community colleges.

Regarding your original question of whether you need to file a CUE or reopen the claim from 2004, I don't have enough knowledge on the VA claims process to give you answers on that. Hopefully another hadit member with more experience will chime in to this conversation soon.

they were ultrasounding my liver for a checkup procedure and spotted a tennis ball sized tumor on my kidney.

I filed for the kidney cancer the day before I went in for surgery and had it removed. So being they dated my service connection back to the day I filed, my surgery and the time following surgery were in legal, service connected status. Furthermore, they never gave me a 6 month mandatory exam, to see if 100 still was warranted, (because they werent giving me the 100 percent anyway), so I think they would have to pay me for a whole year.

Edited by 63SIERRA

well I went thru chemo for 48 weeks for the hepc, they removed my kidney . these were not at the same time., years apart,..

Sorry. I misunderstood. That's why I asked if the chemo was for the kidney cancer. If so, the cancer should have been rated at 100% until at least 6 months after treatment ends.

Sorry. I misunderstood. That's why I asked if the chemo was for the kidney cancer. If so, the cancer should have been rated at 100% until at least 6 months after treatment ends.

the reg says chemo OR surgery. so im still good i THINK,.