VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Revoking Poa While Claim Is At Bva

Rate this question

free_spirit_etc

Question

I appointed a VSO at the time of my hearing. The hearing was awful. I felt comfortable with the judge. But the VSO treated me like an idiot. I know I should have fired the VSO immediately. But I did not.

We were granted 3 months, until December 3, to provide additional evidence in support of my claim. The VSO had told me to obtain copies of my husband's military personnel files. I have now done that. I also hoped he might actually read my claim in the interim.

I called the VSO today to inform him I had received the files he had requested I obtain and to see where we stood on my case. He told me that he had submitted everything to the judge already and that it was DONE. He said he had already done what he needed to do on my claim.

I asked him what he submitted, and he said he wouldn't know that without looking at the file -- and he couldn't "jump around like that."

I asked him to send me a copy of what he sent to the judge and he told me he is NOT REQUIRED to send me anything. He was very curt and told me if I want copies of what he submitted I have to contact my Regional Office and get them from them.

I want to revoke his POA IMMEDIATELY -- and so I will fax a revocation to the BVA. Should I be specific as to why? Or just state I want to revoke his POA?

I hope he didn't hurt my case really bad by arguing against my claim. I don't know why he refuses to send me a copy of what he submitted. I don't know if that is because he submitted something he knows I wouldn't like, or if he actually has no idea what is going on with my claim, didn't want to bother to look before he returned my call -- and just told me he submitted everything without even checking - and felt like he was put on the spot when I asked for a copy.

OMG! I was shaking when I got off the phone!!!

Edited by free_spirit_etc

I have thought about revoking my POA with the DAV.

1) Extremely hard to get in touch with. Never returned my calls.

2) The woman who answers the phone at the DAV in Winston-Salem, NC was very rude to put it mildly...acted like she couldn't be bothered with my issues.

3) They actually changed the guy who was assisting me and never told me of any change.

4) After I finally won my claim they never contacted me to tell me of the news.

5) Never heard a damn thing from the DAV throughout the ENTIRE process after filing.

What a shame that I am a Life Member and once they got my $$ in dues, the only time I hear from them is if they ask for a donation! I don't mean to speak badly about an organization that appears to do great things for vets but my experience with them as my VSO has been a poor one. There are good ones out there...just wouldn't recommend the DAV. Thinking of switching to the MOPH but reluctant to switch in middle of an active claim. Hell, I may use the letter above just to fire them and go at it representing myself.

YES, the DAV is very secretive. why is that I wonder. what really goes on in the " halls of justice". lets look at these service organizations as a whole/

1. they are promoted help from the organization that is screwing us

2. they are in the same buildings with them/.

3/ they recieve money from the federallies if they can secure our POA and given extra duckies.

4/. The service orgs wont tell the clients any particulars abrt our case, and get offended when we press/

5. service orgs can get " shut down down for violations_ as my DAV did for 30 days. they couldnt tell me why thhough

6. They say its free, but perster u for money.

7. if it goes to appelate review the VA does NOT want you to get rid of your VSO. WHY??

JUST SOME FACTS TO PONDER.

Edited by 63SIERRA

my gut feeling abt service organizations is that they were created long ago , by our government , for our government, .

I believe they were created as a cushion, between the veteran and the Va, so that the government would not get swamped in

millions of administrative review " court cases". Therefore, the veteran who knows nothing of the process, can get a little something if he hires a VSO. meanwhile the Va is happy becasue veterans are only getting a fraction of what was entitled them by law.

All the way back to the civil war, the government had to offer incintives to join, there were conscripts, land deals ,ect.

The promise of the Va to take care of veterans who were injured because of thier service, is just another dangled carrot, to entice

citizens to join the service. THINGS ARE CHANGING THOUGH. The veterans are educating themselves, and alot of VSOS are shocked at what know. when we call them on it, they get angry. There can only be 2 reasons for this, 1. they are squatting on a job that they just want to collect a check and not do very much, or 2. they are hiding something.

the vsos are kept at certain levels of information on a need to know basis. the guy at the local tavern, who is accepting claims, doesnt seem to know much abt the laws and regs at all. to me, they should be very well informed, because filing an effective accurate, detailed claim in the beginning means everything.

I imagine SOME of these service orgs work alot like other big organizations. When I worked for sears, the CEOs AND regional managers were making BANK, but the worker bees were getting crap. So they would try to lead u to believe u were management material and were grooming u. The carrot and the stick effect. Yet they rarely promoted anyone, unless u were in a certain click.

Edited by 63SIERRA

• HadIt.com Elder
FYI...
"In the aftermath of World War I, disabled veterans in the United States found themselves seriously disadvantaged, with little governmental support.Many of this veterans were blind, deaf, or mentally ill when they returned from the frontlines. An astonishing 204,000 Americans in uniform were wounded during the war. The idea to form the Disabled American Veterans arose at a Christmas party in 1920 hosted by Cincinnati Superior Court Judge Robert Marx, a U.S. Army Captain who had been injured in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive in November 1918. Although it had been functional for some months by that time, the Disabled American Veterans of the World War (DAVWW) was officially created on September 25, 1921, at its first National Caucus, in Hamilton County Memorial Hall in Cincinnati."