VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Would Appreciate An Mdd Wag

Rate this question

GlassRose1500

Question

Hey there and thanks in advance for your time. My main question is how much weight is given to comments? The Checkmarked Impairment would indicate up to 50% - but the comments seem to read more like 70%. Would appreciate your thoughts on where you think this might land. Sorry for it being so long, stripped out as much as I could.

SECTION I:

a. Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with a mental disorder(s)? [x ] Yes [ ] No

Diagnosis #1: Major Depression, single episode, moderate to severe ICD code: 296.22

Indicate the Axis category: [x ] Axis I [ ] Axis II

Comments, if any:The veteran's Major Depression is more likely than not secondary to her musculoskeletal condition and chronic pain from her service connected lumbarsacral/cervical strain and knee condition. She has had worsening of her pain conditions over time to the point that it has significantly interfered with her ability to care for her own needs and participate in activities which she previously enjoyed. This eventually led to depression. Clinical records clearly indicate that her depression is felt to be due to her medical conditions and chronic pain. There is a clear association between the severity of her depression and the severity of her pain and physical limitations.

b. Axis III - medical diagnoses:

ACTIVE PROBLEM

Low back strain

Arthritis of spine

Degeneration of intervertebral disc

Arthritis of knee

Chondromalacia of patella

Derangement of meniscus

Premature beats (SNOMED CT 29717002)

Paresthesia (SNOMED CT 91019004)

Paresthesia of foot (SNOMED CT 309087008)

Chronic constipation (SNOMED CT 236069009)

Esophagitis (SNOMED CT 16761005)

Neck pain (SNOMED CT 81680005)

Rectal hemorrhage (SNOMED CT 12063002)

Nausea (SNOMED CT 422587007)

Lumbar disc prolapse with radiculopathy (SNOMED CT 202735001)

Major Depressive, Single Episode

Chronic Low Back Pain (ICD-9-CM 724.2)

Bursitis/Tendonitis

Stomatitis, Aphthous * (ICD-9-CM 528.2)

Rosacea * (ICD-9-CM 695.3)

Migraine with Aura, without mention of intractable Migraine without mention of

Syncope * (ICD-9-CM 780.2)

Other specified cardiac dysrhythmias

Graves' Disease * (ICD-9-CM 242.00)

Endometriosis * (ICD-9-CM 617.9/617.0)

Pain in joint involving lower leg (ICD-9-CM 719.46)

c. Axis IV - Psychosocial and Environmental Problems (describe, if any): unemployment; chronic mental health symptoms, chronic pain, financial concerns, limited social supports; numerous medical conditions

d. Axis V - Current global assessment of functioning (GAF) score: 52 mconsistent with recent GAF (52 on 10-25-13)

Comments, if any: Veteran has moderate to serious difficulty with depression and anxiety; she has intermittent passive suicidal ideation; she has poor motivation and chronic problems with energy/concentration/focus/distractibility/interest /hoplessness/helplessness. She is social withdrawn and periodically does not leave her house for extended periods at a time. She becomes frustrated over her need for her husband to act as a caretaker. She is unable to attend to a number of ADLs, but is not neglectful of hygiene or appearance. She has frequent anxiety attacks but no panic attacks or violence. No impulsivity. She has withdrawn from activities that she previously enjoyed and frequently avoids family and friends. She has lost a number of friends due to social withdrawal. She endorses irritability and poor frustration tolerance.

3. Occupational and social impairment

-------------------------------------

a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses?

[x ] Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity

c. Relevant Mental Health history

MENTAL HEALTH HISTORY: No h/o mental health treatment in childhood, adolescence or during the military. SMR are negative for mental health treatment. She reports being resistant to mental health treatment and having a long history of aversion to psychotropic medications. She was therefore very resistant to referral to mental health services.

She first participating in behavioral health medicine at the VA in 2012 where she got limited treatment for chronic headaches. She was referred to mental health after having a "breakdown". She was first seen in November 2012 at which time she was diagnosed with major depression.

Clinical records endorse her depression as being due to her chronic pain from her service-connected conditions. She has a history of being a very strong and independent woman who has great difficulty dealing with being dependent on others for basic care. This has greatly added to her depression over time. She is seen every 2-3 months for medication management and weekly to biweekly for individual therapy. On her current medication of Remeron 15 mg q.h.s. and temazepam 22.5 mg q.h.s. There is no history of inpatient psychiatric admissions, substance abuse treatment\problems or suicide attempts.

4 months ago she endorsed passive suicidal ideation.

She continues to endorse chronic difficulties with hopelessness, helplessness, worthlessness, and guilt. She has chronic difficulties with "need for control", excessive worry, racing thoughts, feeling like a burden, social withdrawal, irritability, poor frustration tolerance and emotional detachment.

d. Relevant Legal and Behavioral history (pre-military, military, and post-military): No history of DUIs, arrest or time in jail. She is at risk for foreclosure due to losing her source of income. She continues to endorse social withdrawal, emotional detachment, irritability and poor frustration tolerance. There is no history of assault or violence.

e. Relevant Substance abuse history (pre-military, military, and post-military): ETOH: Never problematic; she thinks a glass of wine per month. Drugs: Never. Smoking: In her teens

3. Symptoms

-----------

For VA purposes, check all symptoms that apply to the Veteran's diagnoses:

[x ] Depressed mood

[x ] Anxiety

[x] Near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively

[X ] Chronic sleep impairment

[x ] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent

events

[X ] Impairment of short- and long-term memory, for example, retention of only highly learned material, while forgetting to complete tasks

[x ] Flattened affect

[x ] Disturbances of motivation and mood

[x ] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships

[x ] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a worklike setting

[x ] Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships

4. Other symptoms

-----------------

Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to mental disorders that are not listed above?

[x ] Yes [ ] No

If yes, describe:social withdrawl; frequent hopelessness/helplessness; chronic problems with energy/concentration/focus; ruminating thoughts; excessive worry; her need for control; social withdrawal; emotional attachment; frequent sense of worthlessness and guilt; black and white thinking

5. Competency

-------------

Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs?

[x ] Yes [ ] No

6. Remarks, if any:

-------------------

The following gives added information reading the Veteran's employability for both sedentary and physical employment based on her mental health symptoms. Veteran is considered fully capable of managing funds in her own best interest.

Her ability to understand and follow instructions is considered mildly impaired.

Her ability to retain instructions as well as sustain concentration to perform simple tasks is considered markedly impaired. Her ability to sustain concentration to task persistence and pace is considered markedly impaired. Her ability to respond appropriately to coworkers, supervisors, or the general public is considered moderately to markedly impaired. Her ability to respond appropriately to changes in the work setting is considered markedly impaired.

Her ability to accept supervision is considered mildly impaired. Her ability to accept criticism is considered mildly impaired. Her ability to be flexible in the work setting is considered markedly impaired. Her ability to work in groups is considered moderately impaired. Her ability for impulse control in the work setting is considered moderately impaired. The veteran has poor stress tolerance and is easily overwhelmed and exhausted. For example, she was very exhausted by the end of her to our assessment.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for your WAG, Carlie - appreciate your taking the time to read it. All comes down to that impairment checkmark most of the time, eh?

Not working. Wheelchair bound. Essentially housebound. Lucky to have my husband of 27 years (also former Marine) taking care of me. I haven't been able to work since 2010 - was (very) recently approved for SSDI, mostly due to service connected issues, so that was a huge help. I've been service connected since my exit physical in 1990 and never knew it until I came to the VA for the first time in 2011 when I could no longer afford private health care. Didn't even know I could receive disability compensation.

I really appreciate you guys here - this site was extremely helpful as I built my claim, and now it helps me pass the time with folks in similar boats. People who understand, and are supportive of each other. I don't post much, but I lurk quite a bit when I'm stuck in bed or on the couch.

I don't mind at all - currently 20% Lower Spine, 10% Right LE Radiculopathy, 10% Right Knee Pain, 10% Right Knee Instability, 10% Left Knee Pain, 10% Left Knee Instability.

Put in for increase for both knees - C&P shows additional diagnoses of pes anserine bursitis bilaterally with hx of steroidal and "chicken grease" shots without relief and the left knee is now limited to 45 degree flexion. I wear rigid braces on both at all times save when showering and sleeping.

Put in for increase of spine - MRIs show multiple disk herniations & annular tears with main compartment and bilateral foreman compromise. C&P documents forward flexion now limited to 30 degrees with pain at 10, and hx of many failed medication and physical therapies. Also notes bilateral moderate radiculopathic pain and loss of sensation on the right le. Medications Pregabalin and Percocet with another med for nausea fm percocet. Reads like 40% IVDS and bilateral radiculopathy at 20% for Right and 10 - 20% Left

Put in for Migrains. C&P shows evidence in service records of treatment, continuing treatment post military with occurances >1x per month prostrating with all the pain and non pain symptoms, treated with pregabalin and percocet. Reads like 50%, but you never know.

And put in for MDD as above.

Edited by GlassRose1500

p.s. VA Psychiatrist wrote a ltr and put it into my file with nexus and functional impact language that seems to read like a soldi 70%, and he's been treating me for awhile.

I've been service connected since my exit physical in 1990 and never knew it until I came to the VA for the first time in 2011 when I could no longer afford private health care. Didn't even know I could receive disability compensation.

Please expound on the above - been SC'd since 1990 - did you receive a rating decision

stating this ? For what conditions and was compensation provided since 1990 ?