VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had Sc Surgery, Still Waiting For Temp 100% Pay - Hardship

Rate this question

Tampabud

Question

Had service-connected surgery June 28th, filed the paperwork 5 days later. I was placed on convalescent leave for four months recovery, but I'm still waiting for the temp rating of 100% so I can pay bills. My wife and I have squeezed by thankfully, but I need the money. I filed a hardship letter at the L.A. Fed building in the beginning of August but still haven't heard anything. Recommendations???? I'm represented by DAV and they have been particularly worthless. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I assume this was for surgery(1),(2) or the other criteria here under (3) involving your service connected disability presently rated at 10%

These are the convalescent regulations:

Under 38 C.F.R. § 4.30, a temporary total rating for convalescence will be assigned effective from the date of hospital admission and continue for 1, 2, or 3 months from the first day of the month following hospital discharge when treatment of a service-connected disability results in (1) surgery necessitating at least one month of convalescence; (2) surgery with severe postoperative residuals such as incompletely healed surgical wounds, stumps of recent amputations, therapeutic immobilization of one major joint or more, application of a body cast, or the necessity for house confinement, or the necessity for continued use of a wheelchair or crutches (regular weight-bearing prohibited); or (3) immobilization by cast, without surgery, of one major joint or more. The total rating will be followed by an open rating reflecting the appropriate schedular evaluation; where the evidence is inadequate to assign the schedular evaluation, a physical examination will be scheduled prior to the end of the total rating period. An extension of 1, 2, or 3 months beyond the initial 3 months may be granted and extensions of 1 or more months up to 6 months beyond the initial 6 months period may be made, upon approval of the Veterans Service Center Manager. 38 C.F.R. § 4.30.

If I were you I would check with the VARO to see if they,in fact have the Temp Convalescence Comp claim.

You can get a status of the claim ( and a confirmation they have it) via the IRIS contact Us link at the main VA web site, or via ebenefits if you are registered with VA ebenefits on line.

to add:

The Contact us link is here at VA's main page and that will take you to the IRIS page .

http://www.va.gov/

You can register for Ebenefits,I think, by phone at 1-800-827-1000.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong about the phone registration.

(Make sure your phone battery is well charged. I waited for over an hour to get a rep at ebenefits last week.Once you get a registered ebenefits account on line, I hope that is a faster way to get status info,)

And if you have residuals from the surgery ( such as a ratable scar etc) I am sure your DAV rep advised you to claim any residuals as secondary to the 10% SC you have now.